Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Star Lords, new 4X game (with turn based combat)

TripJack

Hedonist
If anyone pays the $20 bucks for pre-order and tries it out, let us poor peasants know how it is.

Marobug

Nope, no moo clone. So far I'm loving it, plays more like a space europa universalis. For a early alpha it's looking pretty solid.

By MOO clones I meant all the shitty 4x space games that try to be as good as, or better than MOOs but almost always utterly fail. At least in my book. As all the Master of Magic clones fail also. Although there aren't many of either (especially of master of magic clones).

Malakal

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I would settle for a MoO2 clone. That is a game with modern graphics but exactly same mechanics as MoO2. Calling games emulating MoO clones is a serious understatement.

For a second there I thought someone was making or kickstarting a sequel or remake of this old beauty.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/24629/Starlord.html

Shame it isn't.

That looks like a seriously awesome game.

mr.doo

Educated
Pre ordered this morning and I'm loving the alpha. Probably my most anticipated game for out this half of the year.

Marobug

By MOO clones I meant all the shitty 4x space games that try to be as good as, or better than MOOs but almost always utterly fail. At least in my book. As all the Master of Magic clones fail also. Although there aren't many of either (especially of master of magic clones).

Star Lords is definitely not one of those. It's very different from any other 4x game I've played actually.

Star Lords is definitely not one of those. It's very different from any other 4x game I've played actually.

But how good is it?

KoolNoodles

Arcane
I would also like to know how good the alpha is and how it's coming along, at least if you are "allowed" to say so. That video didn't really give me an idea of anything, other than that the combat part looked a lot like MoO and the Galaxy map looked like Endless Space meets GalCiv. What are the details on how planets work/economy, leaders(if there are any), race customization, how techs work, etc. The forums have very little in them, and the overview/video doesn't show/say anything that countless others haven't said before. I might go in on the alpha if it's really that good though.

Marobug

Well the diplomacy area is unlike anything I've seen in a 4x game. You have casus belli, reputation matters a lot, you can set embargos, warn a faction someone is asking for support against them etc.
The espionage area is pretty awesome as well, you can order your spies to assassinate ministers from another faction, you can get useful information like how many funds they have, and they are doing economically, how many ships and armies they have etc.

The ai is pretty good already, and the devs say it doesn't cheat (personally it does look like they are telling the truth, I never noticed anything and if it did you could discover easily thanks to the espionage module).

Planet management is incredibly well designed as well. If you build too many factories the planet will go into over exploitation and the resources will slowly deplete, you have to be careful with the security and health of the population, etc. The really cool thing is, unlike moo2 where the game forces you to micromanage each colony, in star lords you don't feel the need to. Even if you have 30 planets you don't feel overwhelmed because you don't have to babysit each one, and you can access all the relevant info for each in the planets menu.

The equivalent of leaders is called ministers. They have a certain age and they can die of old age or by assassination (possibly other causes, these two are the only ones I got so far). They are pretty expensive to maintain but they usually bring significant bonuses like better trade, diplomacy, etc.

The game has loads of potential and it's already pretty fun to play. I recommend it, it's really good.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
Interesting! I'll keep my eyes out then, maybe buy into the Alpha once a gameplay vid or two sneak out. Thanks for the reply and all that information, it does indeed sound good so far.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom