Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Cael

Arcane
You assume to know more about terraforming and alien biology than ancient bio-constructs devised specifically with terraforming in mind. So sweet!

Besides, no one understands the Mycon but the Mycon themselves.

On Druuge... Why would you consider the Druuge evil? Because they hold values that are different from yours? Did the Druuge express aggression towards your character in UQM? Would you strongly prefer the Melnorme then?
The end result is something that is akin to the primordial Earth. That kind of planets can exist without being a M-class planet. One of the moons of Jupiter, for example, has volcanoes of sulphur. You can terraform that into a shattered planet if you want. Turning a planet full of carbon-based life and water into a lifeless, waterless world seems a bit wasteful.

If they are a construct with a mission, they might not even understand themselves. They just are, like the Sylandro probes.

And why wouldn't you consider them Evil? The problem with the Druuge is not that they are merchants. It is that they are pirates and worse posing as merchants. You've never played the game, have you, despite your avatar?

T. Reich

Arcane
You assume to know more about terraforming and alien biology than ancient bio-constructs devised specifically with terraforming in mind. So sweet!

Besides, no one understands the Mycon but the Mycon themselves.

On Druuge... Why would you consider the Druuge evil? Because they hold values that are different from yours? Did the Druuge express aggression towards your character in UQM? Would you strongly prefer the Melnorme then?
The end result is something that is akin to the primordial Earth. That kind of planets can exist without being a M-class planet. One of the moons of Jupiter, for example, has volcanoes of sulphur. You can terraform that into a shattered planet if you want. Turning a planet full of carbon-based life and water into a lifeless, waterless world seems a bit wasteful.

If they are a construct with a mission, they might not even understand themselves. They just are, like the Sylandro probes.

And why wouldn't you consider them Evil? The problem with the Druuge is not that they are merchants. It is that they are pirates and worse posing as merchants. You've never played the game, have you, despite your avatar?

I see that your badge is well-deserved.

On the Mycon - you've all but stated outright that they cannot possess any sort of human morality, therefor they're exempt from the dichotomy of Good and Evil. Mycon just are.

On Druuge - answer my questions, shitlord. Or shut the fuck up, because obviously your "argument" stands on nothing but your personal edgy "feels".

Cael

Arcane
On Druuge - answer my questions, shitlord. Or shut the fuck up, because obviously your "argument" stands on nothing but your personal edgy "feels".
Anyone who has played the game would know what the Druuge did. To your character, to the Utwig and to others, and why they are classic Evil. Only those who have not played the game would not know.

That you don't know and demanding that I answer is pretty much QED for my statement in the previous post. Nothing edgy about it. Just pure logic.

You see, that is the thing: I don't do edgy. I don't even know what it means in the Codex context (just as I don't know what half the ratings mean). I merely make observations and conclusions backed by facts that I can see.

As for the tag, well, we all know that a certain mod here plays favourites and shills for game companies to get free games, so that just about explains why it is there.

T. Reich

Arcane
On Druuge... Why would you consider the Druuge evil?
Um ... you weren't talking to me, but ... the Druuge are slavers and mass murderers. Any reasonable definition of evil pretty much has to include them.

Cite the mass murder instances by the Druuge please.

Yes, they are slavers. But by that definition humanity itself is irredeemably evil.
The Druuge buy, use and sell slaves. They occasionally take slaves (because it's legal in their sphere of influence, under very specific circumstances), but they don't do it outside of their sphere of influence, and the Druuge are not expansionist due to their solitary nature.
They do not go out of their way to subjugate other sentient or non-sentient races, they are quite content to carry on as they are.
They are happy to trade with the Captain whenever the opportunity arises. Yes, their preferred currency is slaves, but they will likewise barter for items of perceived value.

They are different from the modern earthlings all right. Does that makes them evil?

The two major interactions with the Druuge in the game include:
1) visiting their homeworld to buy some shit to fix Ultron. No slave-trading is involved unless you choose to do so. And if you do, it's you who gets grilled by the station captain, and rightly so.
2) a minor armed conflict over an item of interest. You might say, you had the right of claim to the item in question, but it is you who chose to resolve the conflict by manner of violence (ok, because the game didn't exctly give you any other options, but still...).

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane
Anyone who has played the game would know what the Druuge did. To your character, to the Utwig and to others, and why they are classic Evil. Only those who have not played the game would not know.

That you don't know and demanding that I answer is pretty much QED for my statement in the previous post. Nothing edgy about it. Just pure logic.

You see, that is the thing: I don't do edgy. I don't even know what it means in the Codex context (just as I don't know what half the ratings mean). I merely make observations and conclusions backed by facts that I can see.

As for the tag, well, we all know that a certain mod here plays favourites and shills for game companies to get free games, so that just about explains why it is there.

It's quite obvious to me now that you:
1) haven't played the game, or played it with your eyes closed.
2) edgy.
3) have nothing of value to contribute to this discussion because you know shit.

The Utwig hold the Druuge in high regard thanks to the boon of Ultron the Druuge bestowed upon the Utwig.
The only "others" who have meaningfully interacted with the Druuge and comment on them ingame are:
1) the other earthlings. The station captain warns you of the Druuge's slavery practices and general jewishnes (or ferengi-ness, if you will). It is acknowledged that the Druuge are otherwise not a hostile race, just an unpleasant to deal with.
2) the Melnorme. The feelings are negative and mutual, because the both races are in direct competition as star-traders. The Melnorme's beef, of all things, is that the Druuge's prices are too low for the Melnorme's liking.

T. Reich

Arcane
Cite the mass murder instances by the Druuge please.
They burn their own people and slaves for fuel.
Utilitarian, callous, ruthless. But not a mass murder.
(The Captain, on the other hand, is quite a mass murderer: Thraddash, Ilwrath, Mycon. Partially Utwig and Suppox, by conscious inaction.)
Besides, there is totally an ingame justification for "people for energy" behaviour. It's utilised in combat. Kill-or-be-killed situation. They have the option to sacrifice a crew member to come out victorious and live another day, or be all mushy and die together. Needs of the many, yadda yadda yadda...

They are different from the modern earthlings all right. Does that makes them evil?
Yes.

Your views are different from mine.
You're therefore EVIL.
I reserve the right to murder you on sight.

It's your logic.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
The Burvixese would like to have a chat with you about that mass murder thing, but, unfortunately, they all seem to be busy being DEAD.

You, sir, are a joke.

T. Reich

Arcane
The Burvixese would like to have a chat with you about that mass murder thing, but, unfortunately, they all seem to be busy being DEAD.

You, sir, are a joke.

The Burvixese and the Druuge BOTH have attracted the attention of Kohr-Ah and BOTH were marked for extermination.
The Druuge pulled an asshole move and simply gave the Kohr-Ah the incentive to go otwards the stronger signal first, buying the Druuge some time. (Literally, just some time. The only reason Druuge are still alive at the start of the game is because Kzer-Za met Kohr-Ah precisely at the time of the Burvixese's destruction. Once the Doctrinal Conflict is over, the Kohr-Ah destroy the Druuge first.)
It's the Kohr-Ah who did the mass-murdering, not the Druuge.

In fact, for the majority of the game the Captain is doing exactly the same thing as the Druuge - holding off the resolution of the Doctrinal Conflict at the expense of the lives of other civilisations, while he tries to figure out how to get out of the whole destruction mess.
In the course of the game, you:
* depopulate entire planets hunting for animals that you then sell off to the Melnorme for tech and information (but those animals are non-sentient, so it makes it ok, right?).
* strongarm the Spathi into becoming your fighting slaves because you threatened them with the horrible predators you collected from their homeworld.
* sic the Thraddash on the Kohr-Ah simply to buy you very little time, knowing full well that the Thraddash are completely outmatched and will be massacred.
* sic the Ilwrath on the Thraddash (which results in mutual genocide) just because it would be convenient for your future goals (alternatively, you leave the Ilwrath alone, free to massacre the Pkunk, while you personally massacre the Thraddash into submission).
* passively agree for the Utwig and Suppox to attack the Kohr-Ah, even though, again, it's just pointless slaughter.
* start a civil war among the Yehat.
* help the Syreen to destroy a good portion of the Mycon population.
* potentially sell some of your people into slavery to the Druuge.
* potentially let the Zoq-Fot-Pik die because you didn't care.
Talk about being a mass-murdering asshole. Humans being humans, as usual.

It's quite obvious to me now you're retarded, and your knowledge of the UQM is qute limited as well.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane

You, sir, are a joke.

The Burvixese and the Druuge BOTH have attracted the attention of Kohr-Ah and BOTH were marked for extermination.
The Druuge pulled an asshole move and simply gave the Kohr-Ah the incentive to go otwards the stronger signal first, buying the Druuge some time. (Literally, just some time. The only reason Druuge are still alive at the start of the game is because Kzer-Za met Kohr-Ah precisely at the time of the Burvixese's destruction. Once the Doctrinal Conflict is over, the Kohr-Ah destroy the Druuge first.)

In fact, for the majority of the game the Captain is doing exactly the same thing as the Druuge - holding off the resolution of the Doctrinal Conflict at the expense of the lives of other civilisations, while he tries to figure out how to get out of the whole destruction mess.
* depopulate entire planets hunting for animals that you then sell off to the Melnorme for tech and information (but those animals are non-sentient, so it makes it ok, right?).
* strongarm the Spathi into becoming your fighting slaves because you threatened them with the horrible predators you collected from their homeworld.
* sic the Thraddash on the Kohr-Ah simply to buy you very little time, knowing full well that the Thraddash are completely outmatched and will be massacred.
* sic the Ilwrath on the Thraddash (which results in mutual genocide) just because it would be convenient for your future goals (alternatively, you leave the Ilwrath alone, free to massacre the Pkunk, while you personally massacre the Thraddash into submission).
* passively agree for the Utwig and Suppox to attack the Kohr-Ah, even though, again, it's just pointless slaughter.

It's quite obvious to me now you're retarded, and your knowledge of the UQM is qute limited as well.
OR...

I didn't do half of those things because they were optional. Just because YOU are a mass murdering bastard who willingly sell your own species to become slaves and furnace food doesn't mean everyone else does it as well. It just shows what kind of a mass murdering, enslaving bastard YOU are, not everyone else.

Tsk tsk tsk. You should really stop projecting your Evil on others. You are not fooling anyone.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
tenor.gif

T. Reich

Arcane

You, sir, are a joke.

OR...

I didn't do half of those things because they were optional. Just because YOU are a mass murdering bastard who willingly sell your own species to become slaves and furnace food doesn't mean everyone else does it as well. It just shows what kind of a mass murdering, enslaving bastard YOU are, not everyone else.

Tsk tsk tsk. You should really stop projecting your Evil on others. You are not fooling anyone.

Bolded the unavoidable story mode options for you, retardo.

Cael

Arcane

You, sir, are a joke.

OR...

Bolded the unavoidable story mode options for you, retardo.
Seriously? Which part of "HALF of those things are optional" was unclear? Oh right, I forgot. Idiots don't know reading comprehension.

Now, then:
1. There is nothing preventing you from leaving a few animals lying around. You don't HAVE to take them all. It is YOUR choice to do so.
2. The Thraddash attacked me, which makes them fair game. You are one sick puppy to disallow self-defence, but I am not surprised.
3. Considering that there isn't much you can do with the Ilwrath, I don't see how you can say that the player is Evil. Now, if I were given a choice and I CHOSE to genocide them, then that is another case.
4. Passively agree? Really? So, now I am responsible for other people making decisions, too? You are one fucked up puppy.
5. You say it as if Yehat Civil War was a bad thing. Do you think that the French Revolution should never have happened? Or the American one?
6. The Syreen are entitled to their vengeance. The Mycon destroyed more than the Syreen ever will.

Time and again, you claim that the player is Evil for not doing things, for doing things and for things outside of his control. You claim that Justice is Evil. You claim that self-defence is Evil. You claim that not given the choice to do something is somehow the player's fault also. You claim that someone else making a decision is also the player's fault somehow.

I have seen a lot of sjw shitlords in my time, but you take the cake.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.stardock.com/games/article/488982/star-control-screenshot-friday-2018511

Star Control: Screenshot Friday 2018.5.11

Star Control: Origins continues to head towards its September 2018 release date!

Here's the week in screenshots!

The galaxy is a busy place

We will be keeping these journals spoiler free. With that in mind, the year is 2088. Earth exists in a part of the galaxy called Orion's Spur ("The Spur"). It has recently become a much busier part of the galaxy and you will be uncovering why that is.

Star Control is a single player RPG where you command a single ship but the galaxy is filled with characters with their own agendas.

Players travel from star system to star system via Hyperspace. Hyperspace is a hyper dimension that forms an alternative space-time adjacent to what we call "true space". It can be a bit..trippy to travel through it but it allows for travel between stars in a faction of the time it would take to go via true space.

This week we updated the visuals in hyperspace to give a better sense of movement when no stars are around.

There are a lot of different alien species in the Scryve sector alone (let alone the outer spur). Humanoids are quite exotic due to their rarity. Beings are fascinated in seeing a hairless bipedal ape.

The Phamyst are the classiest aliens in the known galaxy.

Much of our focus right now is in polishing and iterating on the story and the AI. There are thousands of planets but also thousands of other ships running around doing their thing as well.

On a personal note, this week my design work has been spent on helping with story and pacing which meant I have to...gasp, travel the worlds without any cheat keys. This was particularly enjoyable but also embarassing because the AI controlled aliens really want nothing to do with us because...well, we're newbies on the galactic scene. This means that they tend to avoid us and our early game ship just can't intercept them because..well, we're newbies. But it's highly enjoyable to see the subtle but definite effort the aliens put in to avoid me. It's so effortless and insulting simultaneously.

Hmm...

Star Control is a single player RPG

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
:negative:Can't even threaten the disgusting Xenos.
Alcohol consumption level which would make those conversations tolerable, but wouldn't cause permanent brain damage will have quite slim margin of error.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
References to SC2 visible in every alien dialogue screen so far ("Happy Campers" Post-It Note, Ur-Quan and Spathi dongles).
Same default ship name as in Star Control II.
Hostile alien species uses a probe to accounce its presence, just like in SC2.
Pointless 'stay in the pipe'-minigame added in planet landing, so that hyperactive kiddies don't feel bored I guess.
Dialogue options are 'harmless', no way to veer from the script. This is explained as being only at the start of the game to "help people get more comfortable with the system", but let's see how far that goes.
First alien contact is very Fwiffo-esque, in that it is with an affable alien species that's somehow even more clueless than Humans are. In Fwiffo's case it was explained by a detailed breakdown of how Spathi society works, and while that option seems possible here, this preview seems hell-bent on hurtling us through the game as fast as possible rather than stop and *smell the flowers*.
Galactic map looks impressive.

There doesn't seem to be anything *wrong* there, which is nice. It has potential, which is more than can be said for most other games coming out this year.

Repressed Homosexual
I really don't know why people are so venomous. Other than Elemental, for which they apologized for, Stardock always makes good games. They might not make the best games of all time, but they always have enough charm and clever gameplay mechanics to warrant playing through.

Surely this will be no different.

Plus Brad reads the opinions of fans, even ours, and takes them seriously. He is one of us. Almost everyone else has embraced the decline.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom