Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Control: Origins - Star Control reboot from Stardock

Cael

Arcane
That trailer is impressively bad. No artful direction, just a bunch of barely-related clips snapped together. I could probably edit a better one myself.
There are better things to do in life than to fix the cesspit offerings of arrogant cunts.

Cael

Arcane
told to fuck right off already to, uh, insult people is a pretty major sign of a COMPLETE LACK OF SOCIAL SKILLS and this is the Codex, where many of our posters are basically the equivalent of brain-dead retards(like me) and even I know that any conversation that goes like this is not a conversation where you come out looking good. You need to fire this fucking idiot and step back from the drama for a whole six minutes.
Birds of a feather, dude. The fucktard was hired because the one doing the hiring is on the same fucktard bandwidth and think that being a complete flaming fucktard is the correct way to win friends and influence people. It is pretty clear what kind of an asshole jerkwad the Stardock boy is from the way he has treated the creators of SC and the way he goes psycho aggressive when questioned. Why would his underlings be any different?

But it must also be said: It is not a lack of social skills. Lack indicates a certain amount of ignorance and innocence, that the person doesn't know better. Stardock's method of doing things does not stem from ignorance or innocence. It stems from being an arrogant "big boy" who know it can run the time down on you financially until your legal bills become so massive that it is no longer worth fighting it. MacDonald (yes, the golden arches dudes) has been known to do it, and locally, a guy called Clive Palmer is known to do it. Palmer, in particular, sues at the drop of a hat, and because he is a billionaire, he can drag things out in court until you basically go bankrupt. At least he used to do that. Recently, he has run into some... legal issues... :D That is Stardock's attitude in a nutshell.

Cael

Arcane
No, this is Andrew Dobson-tier behavior. Dobson is a fat, untalented sack of dog shit who posts shitty opinionated comics everyone hates onto deviantart and is super defensive and retarded about it. Like, aggressively so. And when he's not defending his poorly drawn, opinionated trash, he's whining about people being mean to him for no reason. He started a patreon three years ago and makes six bucks a month, and he truly believes its because he's being unfairly persecut-*posts another comic about how Metal Gear Solid is actually kind of shit and then gets super defensive and pissy when the MGS fans tell him to fuck off*
You just described the Stardock boy's reaction to being questioned about Origin being a Star Control game in anything but fraudulent name.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Wait, where have I heard Dobson's name before?

*checks*

Oh fuck, this guy:

2e9a9f2f3525cd0132721b9e9ac73b3b--labour-day-weekend-labor-day.jpg

Let's have a remix of that, shall we?

d77.jpg

Of the two, I'd say the Stardock guy is the lesser of two evils.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.stardock.com/games/arti...dev-diary-1-our-little-corner-of-the-universe

Star Control DEV DIARY #1: Our little corner of the universe

You know the phrase, “Space is big”. Today, let’s walk through just how big space really is, and how its scale fits into the Star Control multiverse.

Star Control: Origins takes place in a sector that is 120 by 120 light years. This is a staggeringly big area, but it is nothing compared to even our local super-cluster.

Let’s zoom out. Way…way out, and we get to Lanikea:

Nature video has a fantastic segment outlining just how massive this super cluster is. It’s an absolute must watch. Those tiny dots are all galaxies, and our galaxy, the Milky Way, is just one among hundreds of thousands of dots. Lanikea isn’t the known universe. Far from it. But when Star Control talks about the Precursors and other ancient beings, it is worth bearing the sheer magnitude of the galactic space that they inhabited.

Now, let’s zoom in. If you zoom in to just our galaxy, you see this:

The Milky Way

David Buter has an amazing video series that helps guide you through this immensity. The milky way is 100,000 light years wide with 6 billion stars in it. 6 billion stars. Imagine setting up a map with all of those. If you were able to visit each star for a second, it would take you 200 years to visit them all. Thankfully, Star Control: Origins focuses on a mere fragment of this area called Orion’s Spur.

Orion’s Spur
Welcome to Orion’s Spur.

This is where our adventure begins. The Spur is 3,500 light years across and 10,000 light years long. If this were the Star Trek universe, it would take 18 years for a ship traveling at Warp 5 to travel across it. It’s both big and interesting. Just as Europe makes for a very interesting setting due to its geography, the Spur is very interesting because it jets out from the Perseus arm of the galaxy. We will be spending a great deal of time dealing with the hundreds of species that inhabit this area of space over the course of the Star Control series.

Orion’s Spur and the relative location of our sun.

Within the Orion’s Spur is the Scryve sector, which gets us to our 120x120 light year corner of the universe. One of the books that has been an inspiration of mine is the Bobiverse series. Besides being a super enjoyable Sci-Fi book, the author tries to connect us with the stars.

Within that sector is a small yellow-dwarf Star that we call the sun.

Traveling through the home solar system

And orbiting this star is, of course, Earth, which is where our story begins in the year 2088. In 2088, Earth has just managed to build an interplanetary ship that can travel across the solar system in a matter of weeks rather than years. While impressive, it is still far from faster-than-light. That is an issue we will discuss next…

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
So about the precursors...: https://www.stardock.com/games/article/488479/star-control-secret-briefing-2---the-precursors

Star Control: Secret Briefing #2 - The Precursors

April 2086

Good afternoon. Thank you for attending this meeting. We have been taking your questions via the Google document. If you will enable your FaceGoog implants to turn to the topic of Precursors from the 2085 lecture we can begin.

We will assume you have gone over the classified materials from the recent Emdrive test.

As a reminder, the general public has not been brought up to speed on everything that was found on Ceres. The rumors of the so-called "Arilou" consultant working with Darius Robotic on the emDrive remain just that -- rumors. Today will focus only on the facts and not rumors. Suffice to say, we do not have little green men running around Darius Robotics.

Prototype EmDrive powered ship "Discovery"

Overview
You may recall that the relics returned from Ceres raise a lot of questions about our place in the universe. What the general public doesn't realize is that the answer to whether we are alone in the universe has been partially answered. These so-called Precursors definitely existed at least 250,000 years ago and their various devices remained active all the way up to around 300 years ago.

It is our belief that the devices stopped recording when they detected radio signals from Earth. Why that is we have no idea.

Topic: What do we know about these "Precursors"?
The information I have is sketchy, fragments based on recovered Precursor relics from the caves of Ceres from 2074.

Sketches recovered from the caves of Ceres.

About 250,000 years ago there was an advanced civilization we refer to as the Precursors. We don't really know much about them other than they disappeared suddenly. As many of you know from the data recovered, a "Faction of Eight" power structure grew in their absence.

Topic: What do we know about the Faction of Eight era?
We know little of the Faction of Eight other than fragments such as the word Drall and Dnyarri. What we have pieced together is that around 20,000 year ago, a malevolent species known as the Dnyarri came to control much of this area of Orion's Spur. An alliance of other species came together to form the Faction of Eight to contest their power and over many centuries slowly drove the Dnyarri out of this area of space. There is no mention of the Faction of Eight within the last 7,500 years. Either they disappeared or the data recordings found on Ceres are incomplete.

Artist descriptions of some of the members of the Faction of Eight based on recorded descriptions.

Topic: What aliens do we know about today?
As of today, in April 2086 we know of no other aliens in existence. We have not met any aliens that we are aware of (rumors of little green men at Roswell not withstanding). But what we do know is that there were aliens a long time ago that appear to be gone.

There is a good historical video that explains why we may not have met any aliens. Perhaps once a civilization reaches a certain level it ascends to a higher state of being. Perhaps civilizations simply die out or destroy themselves eventually. We do not know. As we get more data from the "Ceres Tapes" we will report on them.

If you have questions, you are welcome to stay after the briefing and add them below. Please remember to disable your FaceGoog implants after class. Seriously, you don't want to leave those on.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
"Faction of Eight" = non-copyright infringing term for the Sentient Milieu?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ugh, the Dnyarri were a prominent Star Control 2 race. I thought they weren't using those. Why, why, why not just use original races. :deadhorse:

Cael

Arcane
Ugh, the Dnyarri were a prominent Star Control 2 race. I thought they weren't using those. Why, why, why not just use original races. :deadhorse:

They very clearly wanted to just make an updated SCII
Without the kooky aliens and irreverent plot that made SC2 SC2.

And for all of his holier-than-thou shit spewing about letting the original IP holders to do their thing with their IP, Stardock is hypocritically using an original race.

Anyone surprised? At all? No? Me neither.

Cael

Arcane

They very clearly wanted to just make an updated SCII
Without the kooky aliens and irreverent plot that made SC2 SC2.

And for all of his holier-than-thou shit spewing about letting the original IP holders to do their thing with their IP, Stardock is hypocritically using an original race.

Anyone surprised? At all? No? Me neither.

How are you this dense?

Seriously? They very clearly wanted to use the original aliens and got booty-slapped by legal bullshit. Whatever's going down now, they're confident enough that they're re-introducing them back in.
Wrong. Stardock asshole made it VERY clear that he was "respecting the original owners of the IP" which is why the space game they call a Star Control game takes place in an "alternate past" with none of the original aliens in it (this thread, page 7 or so, actually). This was before the legal thing exploded.

Now that the legal thing has exploded, it seems that Stardock is very deliberately goading the original owners, to the point the fuckers went back on what they claimed to be doing in the first place.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
And Brad Wardell is a consumate liar who has also been playing victim this entire time. Seriously?
On the evidence presented, very much so.

"but the companee sed so!!" So? They can say whatever they want. It's pretty clear they didn't give the slightest fuck.
Making promises and/or statement, especially promises/statements intended to make you look like the Messiah, and then reneging on them does engender a certain... what's the term... oh yes, OUTRAGE in people who has a sense of honour.

But, as someone once said: "People without honour do not know its worth."

On top of that, there is ample evidence that Stardock is now deliberately provoking the original IP holders (not only with this action but other previous ones), presumably trying to get them to do something that would affect the lawsuit currently before the courts. You may be OK with that kind of foul behaviour, but I am not.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For anyone else who obsessively collects wallpapers, I talked the Stardock artists into posting a high-res version of the main promo image without the text banner:

Great work recapturing the feel of the SC2 cover art, but with new content to reflect the new game.

Cael

Arcane
IMO the best part of Star Control II was that the "evil" guys weren't that evil - just horrified and terrified of everything in the universe after a millennium of slavery. The Orz are basically cthulu's fingers reaching through another dimension but they were like...Spore creations. Looked stupid as hell. The actually evil/sinister looking fuckers - the Illwrath are minor flunkies and you can basically trick them into committing horrendous suicide fighting dumb cow people.

Etc etc etc. The game was g r e a t at creating interesting villains. If those goofy fuckers were good villians it would depend on the writing, not the appearance. I'm more concerned about the Scryve, because they look exactly like villains.
Well, the VUX is pretty evil. Wanting to commit genocide because they can't stand the sight of humans? That's low :D

The Myconids are pretty bad, too, although we don't really know what the Deep Children actually do for them. Myconids are supposed to bud asexually for propagation purposes, so it isn't likely to be how they expand the species.

T. Reich

Arcane
"Word of God" (as in many Q&A sessions by Fred and Paul over the years) pretty much confirmed that the Mycon are the Precursor terraforming devices that had their original programming go totally bonkers over the aeons of neglect.

The Deep Children are all about terraforming suitable planets to become habitable for the Mycon themselves.

The Mycon are "evil" only by virtue of having no concern of other living beings; expansio of their living space being a primary concern. In that regard, they are not much different from the Slylandro probes.

Cael

Arcane
"Word of God" (as in many Q&A sessions by Fred and Paul over the years) pretty much confirmed that the Mycon are the Precursor terraforming devices that had their original programming go totally bonkers over the aeons of neglect.

The Deep Children are all about terraforming suitable planets to become habitable for the Mycon themselves.

The Mycon are "evil" only by virtue of having no concern of other living beings; expansio of their living space being a primary concern. In that regard, they are not much different from the Slylandro probes.
That is weird that they go for M-class planets, then. Any other marginal planet would do since what they are looking for is vulcanism and heat. You don't need M-class planets for that.

EDIT: I just remembered: The Druuge. They are pretty classical Evil :D

Last edited:

T. Reich

Arcane

That is weird that they go for M-class planets, then. Any other marginal planet would do since what they are looking for is vulcanism and heat. You don't need M-class planets for that.

EDIT: I just remembered: The Druuge. They are pretty classical Evil :D

You assume to know more about terraforming and alien biology than ancient bio-constructs devised specifically with terraforming in mind. So sweet!

Besides, no one understands the Mycon but the Mycon themselves.

On Druuge... Why would you consider the Druuge evil? Because they hold values that are different from yours? Did the Druuge express aggression towards your character in UQM? Would you strongly prefer the Melnorme then?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom