Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
As to SC, this looked interesting half a year ago when they promised that the release of 3.0 was imminent. But as we we now know they lied, I assume they have 4 different teams working all over the world on different versions and no one knows whats going on any more. In that case I would be surprised if anything that resembles a game ever comes out, and the future of it is basically just Godus on a much, much larger scale.

Another interpretation would be that they have a plan B, which is to release basically GTAV in spave with minigames like driving a planetary buggy, talking to people in the bar or fps mode. People would get upset, but they would have saved face. Another bonus would be that they can release it on consoles :lol:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Just give me SQ42, but this doesn't seem to release anytime soon as well. And that's technically more simple than an MMO with space fight and flight, planetary exploration, FPS and whatnot.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It's actually sad because, say what you want, the game nails the Privateer aesthetic. If they'd simply made a limited-scope Privateer 3, it could have been an amazing game and, finally, a worthy successor for Privateer. If you look at the videos, ships, locations, hell, the design of the radar, it all has that seedy, grimy Privateer aesthetic and mood.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I wouldn't rule out that CR, in case he ever released SQ42 and it becomes a success, pitches Privateer 3 as another side project with Clive Owen stretch goal for the Privateer 2 cinematic experience.

Last edited:

justincz

Scholar
6yRwmUv.gif

Morkar Left

Another interpretation would be that they have a plan B, which is to release basically GTAV in spave with minigames like driving a planetary buggy, talking to people in the bar or fps mode. People would get upset, but they would have saved face. Another bonus would be that they can release it on consoles :lol:

Which would have been SQ42. But that seems to make zero progress as well. I thought it shouldn't be too hard to make that game withthe tech already available. Especially if even Call of Duty could deliver something like that (or some indie studio with Empyrion). But since that release isn't even announced and we saw zero gameplay from it I think both games are pretty much dead. CR is probably just thinking at how long he can keep the ball rolling till he has enough money to retire. And his stuff probably knows the truth but will work as long as they get paid anyway.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
In the interview they said they are working on the AI and the mocap animations (100 days of shooting) so they look and feel natural. They want to have AI crew members to have realistic day/night cycles. Next time they'll show SQ42 will be at CitizenCon in October. It didn't feel at all that they have the slightest idea when it will be done.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Next time they'll show of will be at CitizenCon in October.

Did they say which year?

I remind you that October is the last mental stop before December and after December the whole process repeats, with big announcements for the end of first or second quarter.

We will be here again in late 2018.

They are developing a massive multiplayer game but cannot show a demo with 10 people running in the same room. Probably the code is nothing but a huge pile of shit.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Me and my uber hacking skills found the Python script updating that number a couple of times per day:

def calculateFundsIncreaseSince(lastCheck = None):
>>if lastCheck is None:
>>>>return random.randint(100, 10000)
>>else:
>>>># TODO: Do something useful here
>>>>return calculateFundsIncreaseSince()

Drakron

Arcane
They want to have AI crew members to have realistic day/night cycles.

I would ask why but they want put survival gameplay on a fucking flight sim ...

But this is a good example of the issues, this is beyond accessory when AI crew members are simply DRESSING, nobody is going to give a shit if Crewman #54 is in the lounge because its 19.45, nobody is going to pay attention to them or even if they did, its not something that affects gameplay, they simply lost it and gone insane if they think this is something that is worth further delaying the game.

Unless thats horseshit and there is no game, just broken shit from the American Offices and they are waiting until they can actually have a functional engine to create missions that is the more likely story.

:Flash:

Arcane
day/night cycles for AI crew members was in the original Battlecruiser 3000AD and has been in every Derek Smart game since.

The effect is that if you want to launch some fighters you press the button and then wait because the fighter crew needs to walk through the ship to the bay. Perhaps Chris Roberts should have played one of the games of his great Nemesis after all, in order to realize that realism does not make good gameplay.

Drakron

Arcane
day/night cycles for AI crew members was in the original Battlecruiser 3000AD and has been in every Derek Smart game since.

I dont recall that but in BC3000AD it might make sense due to also being a management game, Silent Hunter 4 allowed to manage the crew.

The effect is that if you want to launch some fighters you press the button and then wait because the fighter crew needs to walk through the ship to the bay.

No.

How do you think a US Navy Carrier works? there are always planes on standby and crew on standby ready for launch, besides we are a pilot, not the ship captain and even if we were the squadron commander the amount of management would not require such a system, this is bloat.

What the player is going to do in Squadron 24 is flying missions, not sit around and wait ... there is no need for such a system, something like WC III and IV were you could pick your wingman thats fine, more then that just in relation to wingman is excessive, if you want to add a system that makes wingman unavaible so you dont just fly with the same ones that not terrible complicated either, just add a counter but still borders on idiocy because its unnecessary.

Perhaps Chris Roberts should have played one of the games of his great Nemesis after all, in order to realize that realism does not make good gameplay.

I am not talking about Star Citizen that wants to add hunger meters because "muh realism" (or rather, he is just ripping the wave of survival games like ARK, kinda late to the party) but Squadron 24 that is supposed to be more like Wing Commander, adding "roaming AI" like the fucking ship is Skyrim is pointless, players are not going to sit and wait 4 hours in real time for their next mission, its UNNECESSARY, all they need is a system that loads and unloads models based on conditions, no a AI system for it that is absurd complicated for what is WINDOW DRESSING!.

In fact walking on thew ship is also unnecessary, its a flight Sim and that is bloat ... all that needs to be is screens for the UI.

Dexter

Arcane
I fully believe they're still being funded. There are a lot of stupid people out there.
A large Class Action Lawsuit or other legal action taken against CIG for damages/money back or similar would bring this entire farce to an end and make Chris Roberts emigrate to Russia or China or somewhere similar. These Ponzi schemes always work out as long as there's more money from idiots coming in than they have to pay back, and there's still some remaining trust left. But how long is it going to take till some of the whales get together and organize something like that, if ever?

Where is the hero we need? Help us Derek Smart. You're our only hope.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

The effect is that if you want to launch some fighters you press the button and then wait because the fighter crew needs to walk through the ship to the bay. Perhaps Chris Roberts should have played one of the games of his great Nemesis after all, in order to realize that realism does not make good gameplay.
That happens IF the fighter pilot is not in his post at the time, for instance sleeping in his quarters. It's a bit of a hassle, but manageable (in the scale of all the shit you have to manage) if you take care of rotating your crew yourself (which IIRC one must) so you have always fresh people in R&R to send as replacements.

I would say a better example of realism not making for good gameplay via Smart example would be that it is impossible to actually play as a fighter pilot even if you can be one, since human reflexes aren't quite enough to manually aim projectiles at small objects moving at near-relativistic velocities while also moving at near relativistic velocity yourself, until you are then destroyed by a capital ship's point defense lasers.

EDIT: It's not really a day/night cycle for the crew in Smart's games tho, it's more like a stamina gauge, since it's not actually linked to day/night cycle but a % that goes down and can be refilled by R&R where the crew can be sent at any time.

The part where this becomes a hassle is when you manage this with hundreds of crew.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Just wait until CR plays The Sims and you have to manage all needs of your pilot and crew members because muh realistic simulation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom