Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

looks like they had a more feature complete game 4 years ago :lol:

Based on? They didn't even have targeting reticles, let alone the ability to have the engine handle a real solar system. Pathetic troll.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
My relationship with Star Citizen:

Never paid anything, wanted it to be succesfull so we can have great game

Never paid, still want it to be succesfull so we can have great game

The worst thing that can happen, it will fail and have zero impact. Best thing that happen, it'll be amazing, middle of it? We'll have okay space shooter.

Somehow I feel winner in every situation.

Malpercio

Arcane
Woah, some people would believe anything.
:nocountryforshitposters:
So was that all fake then? From the look of it, I have my doubts as to whether AI was functioning fully in the demo (the NPCs in the ship for example behaved too human & I think they were controlled live by other devs like the ones at the end were openly), but beyond that, the tech looks sound.

edit:
Sorry, just explain to me how you bozos think this scam is supposed to work? Periodic interviews with gameplay demos, playable betas, hiring voice actors, motion capture studios, hiring modelers and other game devs full-time - how is all this supposed to work as a scam when they are spending all the money and creating an actual product?

Either these people need to start taking lessons from Cleve on how to run a proper scam or it's not a scam and is an actual game in development, albeit with risk given the scope & time it's taking.

When people call scam citizen a scam they don't mean a scam in the traditional sense.

We know there is a game here, it's just poorly managed and poorly developed, the prime victim of a bad management and feature creep. They just keep promising stuff and draining money from their victims players.

If if it ever get released it will be a unfinished mess of broken promises.

Grimlorn

Arcane
A big empty planet.
Awesome.
Moon. And they aren't empty, unlike the dead worlds in Elite: Dangerous, where the only interesting thing to look at is the skybox.

Not to mention they are planning to add actual quests, missions, NPC quest givers to these planets:

lol if you think they are going to add a bunch of hand crafted content to hundreds or thousands of planets in a galaxy, you're out of your mind. It will all be copy pasted crap across all planets. That's the only way for something like that to be feasible.

A game called No Man's Sky just did this recently and failed hard. How is it difficult to see this is nothing but a Molyneux lie about content and features?

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A big empty planet.
Awesome.
Moon. And they aren't empty, unlike the dead worlds in Elite: Dangerous, where the only interesting thing to look at is the skybox.

Not to mention they are planning to add actual quests, missions, NPC quest givers to these planets:
lol if you think they are going to add a bunch of hand crafted content to hundreds or thousands of planets in a galaxy, you're out of your mind. It will all be copy pasted crap across all planets. That's the only way for something like that to be feasible.

A game called No Man's Sky just did this recently and failed hard. How is it difficult to see this is nothing but a Molyneux lie about content and features?
Just because someone failed at it, doesn't mean it's not possible.
It clearly is, technically and design-wise.
You just have to do it right, which isn't easy and I expect some failures until someone gets it truly right the first time.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
content to hundreds or thousands of planets

Where the fuck did you come up with that number?
They promised 100 star systems, which I think it will reduced even further to about 70%.

Also from those 100 systems not everyone will have major urban hubs and mission givers.
Also they developed tech to combine the modular assets to combat the visual repetition which will still be there but not in a major way.

If if it ever get released it will be a unfinished mess of broken promises.
I have the same concerns everyone else does and I acknowledge that feature creep could be an issue, as could management, but I am not so definite as you are on the outcome. So far, the development time seems pretty normal given the scope of the game.

Seeing what they have so far, I think they are well on their way to delivering on the overall promise of the main Star Citizen game. They have ships you can enter and exit, they have the ability to dock ships within ships, they have a working persistent universe system (though I understand they are working through getting more ppl on a single server), they have a working warp system to travel between locations.

As to how many solar systems or how much content is going to be in each on day one, I have no idea, but with the tech in that 2016 demo, they could make a pretty awesome game set in a single solar system.

Remember that 100 systems was a stretch goal, so I doubt there will be nearly enough content to fill them. I think most of the systems that end up implemented will be filler worlds you can only trade on or mine. Maybe even a handful of empty systems too. Even the X games had those IIRC.
Where the fuck did you come up with that number?
They promised 100 star systems
I think he is assuming that each system will have a number of planetoids greater than 1. If each had 10 or 20 planetoids (including moons), it could be thousands, but seriously doubt they are going to add a base on every moon. It would look kind of silly tbh.

Given their procedural tech, it's perfectly possible to place bases etc on 100 or more planets. Most of it would probably be filler stuff like trading outposts, but it's very possible. We'll see if they do it or not.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I feel sorry for Derek Smart. Everybody quotes him for his deep insight he displays regarding Star Citizen but nobody gives a fuck when he tweets about his game. So sad.

Maybe because his timeline is 45% attacking Chris Roberts / SC, 45% attacking Trump and the rest is split between other things including his game. ;)

This would be part of the reason why 3.0 isn't out.

On the one hand, it shows they are working on it.

On the other hand, who cares about placing crates...?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
This would be part of the reason why 3.0 isn't out.

the reason it isn't out is because they can only muster 10 - 15 fps max in the persistent universe, and that without the overhyped crowd flooding the servers with their big ass ships bought for hundreds of dollars because they were promised smooth gameplay & shits.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
They showed some pretty cool stuff in today's ATV

I liked the sound of how they're putting together these points of interest. The way they describe it is that an artist scans around the planet until he finds a particularly nice vista/location. Then there are a handful of building blocks they can use to put together a scene. I'm sure this will suffer from copy-paste syndrome to some degree, but it's promising that it isn't randumb algorithm-based placement like E:D or NMS. They also mention that there will be unique crash sites for at least one of the larger ships. I just hope there's some incentive to explore on the surface of the planet rather than just jetting around in a ship.

I liked the sound of how they're putting together these points of interest. The way they describe it is that an artist scans around the planet until he finds a particularly nice vista/location. Then there are a handful of building blocks they can use to put together a scene. I'm sure this will suffer from copy-paste syndrome to some degree, but it's promising that it isn't randumb algorithm-based placement like E:D or NMS. They also mention that there will be unique crash sites for at least one of the larger ships. I just hope there's some incentive to explore on the surface of the planet rather than just jetting around in a ship.
On the other hand, it lends to the argument that they aren't going to be able to do this in hundreds of systems.

IIRC, what they said was that these derelicts they are talking about having done so much work on (from the sound of it, I have no idea as to actual manhours) are going to be just around Crusader and its moons.

How much work will it be to do the whole system? 50 systems? 100? The promised 200?

And they seem to be doing these by hand and not procedurally.

As usual, this update is filled with amazing content, an inspiring vision, but there is still that looming sense of worrisome cringe as they talk about feature creep like this or the needlessly hand place-able cargo boxes or the liquid in the mission givers' cups being affected by gravity.

Last edited by a moderator:

When have they last talked about SQ42 and it's release date?
The game is talked about a briefly in the video above and in others. Earlier in the year they said "probably" this year, but you know how release date estimates are, especially with Star Citizen.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
On the other hand, it lends to the argument that they aren't going to be able to do this in hundreds of systems.
Yeah, I don't believe the "hundreds of systems" plan. My optimistic guess is that they'll eventually put out a semi-stable "Beta"/Early Access release once they get the core features in, with maybe 10 - 20 systems. And that will be the real consumer release, but they won't call it that since it's still lacking promised content and features.

When have they last talked about SQ42 and it's release date?
Citizencon last year maybe? It was supposed to be 2017, which is obviously not going to happen. There should be an update at Gamescon in August.

Yeah, I don't believe the "hundreds of systems" plan. My optimistic guess is that they'll eventually put out a semi-stable "Beta"/Early Access release once they get the core features in, with maybe 10 - 20 systems. And that will be the real consumer release, but they won't call it that since it's still lacking promised content and features.
That's a fair bet, yeah. I also imagine a lot of systems will be filler, with virtually nothing in them. As I said before, a lot of space games do this.

The bigger question for me is about the Persistent Universe and how they are going to avoid charging a fee. You're talking about a game far more complex than something like Eve Online and I can't imagine the server and bandwidth costs being cheap - especially with Net Neutrality going away. Elite: Dangerous can do it, but it's a far simpler game imho.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
If they ever start releasing these SQ42 episodes that will be an additional source of income, and the assets can be shared between the projects. Erin Roberts also mentioned selling in-game currency via in-app purchase, which... is not an idea I like, but it would probably work.

If they ever start releasing these SQ42 episodes that will be an additional source of income, and the assets can be shared between the projects. Erin Roberts also mentioned selling in-game currency via in-app purchase, which... is not an idea I like, but it would probably work.
Yeah, turning the game into a pay-to-play with free-to-play elements could be the of the worst of all worlds.

That said, the bad thing about free-to-play games has more to do with the fact they are designed to be unsatisfying without paying.

Someone with enough money can simply hire someone to play a game for hours or pay for credits some bot farmer in China collected. So long as the system isn't rigged to make you pay, there should be little ultimate effect.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom