Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Nirvash

Liturgist
amount of money and R&D already poured into the project makes it a gold mine.

You mean the current pre-pre-prealpha and the dozens of useless tech demos/cg stuff for the youtube marketing?

Drakron

Arcane
the amount of money and R&D already poured into the project makes it a gold mine.

Are you retard?
The money is gone, the "R&D" were it was spend is for a existing engine, nothing that come out of it have any actual use since its entirely based on existing licensed technology.

There is nothing of worth, anyone that would buy it would end up in a situation were all they could do is pushing for the project completion within a reasonable time and hope it would recover costs, a unlikely situation.

Drakron

Arcane
yeah you cretin, keep repeating this to yourself and move on.

This is why you people get no respect, even if this is the Codex you could, and should, provide a rebuttal.

Star Citizen uses a existing engine, first it was CryEngine and now Lumberyard (that is based in CryEngine) so they dont own the basic tech of the game, there is nothing to gain as the engine of the game does not belong to them, was not written by them and thus cannot be sold, any knowledge of using said engine simply would not justify the cost as people with similar knowhow can be hired by a faction of the cost.

So what does belong to Star Citizen? well the assents all that money was used to create, that all those ships ... a 3d model isnt exactly hard to come these days and they have wasted assents because they already created new models of ships they had made models, this had a cost and have raised the cost of those assents.

There is very little that can be re-used on other games, flight sims simply dont sell for the mainstream audience and being able to use fighters or fight as a FPS/3PS been around for a long time now (such as in GTA:SA) so thet arent breaking new grounds, its something its been done before and using licensed technology they are applying a different coat of paint over.

Thus there is nothing to gain to buy them out, the only assents they actually own are just the textures and models.

The only money to gain from Star Citizen is from their cult followers that pay 10k for what amounts to be a 3d model and textures they are licensed to use on a very specific game, only those freemium companies that have a skin whales model would be interrested in that since its up their alley, maybe Perfect World would buy them ... if they are that dumb.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Star Citizen uses a existing engine, first it was CryEngine and now Lumberyard (that is based in CryEngine) so they dont own the basic tech of the game, there is nothing to gain as the engine of the game does not belong to them, was not written by them and thus cannot be sold, any knowledge of using said engine simply would not justify the cost as people with similar knowhow can be hired by a faction of the cost.
You are assuming they did not modify the engine. Wouldn't surprise me at all.
Afaik, that is standard for larger studios working with UE4, for example. Take the base engine & editor, but modify both to your needs. Nothing unheard of at all, and they certainly have the funding to get source access if it isn't offered anyway.
I seriously doubt any engine could out of the box support a "grandiose" project such as this.

Drakron

Arcane
You are assuming they did not modify the engine. Wouldn't surprise me at all.

So exactly why did EA acquired what is now DICE?
They created what is Refractor Engine, EA pretty for that as well Battlefield, no matter what "modifications" its still running OF a licensed game, also Crysis can seamless move from vehicle to FPS combat, it also have a flight mode so for such a "grandiose" project it can already do that, one thing people seem to be ignoring is Star Citizen is to be INSTANCED and not been shown about that either.

Its value as R&D is nearly no-existing because arnt id or DICE, heck even Cryptic had the Cryptic engine ... all they have is models with textures.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the only assents they actually own are just the textures and models.

cuvintele-imbecil-cretin-idiot-debil-retardat-nu-sunt-sinonime.jpg

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
the question is, who gives a shit? Star Citizen crossed the threshold where big publishers will flock to buy it if Roberts fails to deliver with the current funds because the amount of money and R&D already poured into the project makes it a gold mine.

You're either retarded or deluded. Publishers would not touch Star Citizen with a ten foot pole. It's just a heap of broken tech with a stink of bad PR.

Nirvash

Liturgist
Nah "shady" publishers will brawl to buy this for a couple million and then make shovelware out of it for easy profit.

Ogame clone browser game
The sims style starship housing
Arena space shooter
Etc...

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Just keep posting reaction images, bro. That will totally win you points in this discussion.

Direwolf

Arcane
Alarmingly, Erin Roberts (brother of CEO, Chris Roberts), the director of the studio, took a pay increase from £152.7K ($193.5) to £230K ($291.3) in 2016. As if it wasn’t bad enough that it was previously over 2x the average for someone in his position in the Manchester region; at that 22% increase, it is way higher than the inflation increase for the region. Aside from the fact that the average salary in the region declined by almost 2x the inflation rate between 2015-2016 period. Not to mention the overall financial conditions in the UK, especially in the videogame sector. Oh well, backers will never know.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-5325

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom