Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Sam Ecorners

Arcane
Patron
I don't understand why they don't turn to Elite: dongs-r-us. Yeah it has a lot of issues, but at least it's a real game that actually gets meaningful updates.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
ED is also very focused on kitting and then flying your spaceships (shocking for a sim, yes), and its best feature by far is the flight model and combat. I don't think that appeals much to the "EXPLORE A REAL UNIVERSE" dreamers.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Been playing the Alpha the last few days. It seems somehow more bugged than when I played it a year ago. I can't believe simple things like opening doors and getting in and out of cockpits still doesn't work half the time.

They made some weird changes to the flight model since last time I played. Now you're limited to very low speeds unless you use boost, but the way boost works is kind of janky and doesn't seem consistent.

The newer ship models are fantastic. I jumped on a caterpillar with a couple other guys and manned the turret for a few battles and had fun.

The Star Marine stuff is not great FPS gameplay... but it's not terrible. I like what they're trying to do with the realistic player movement, but it's not quite there yet. Instead of slow-paced tactical gameplay it's just kind of a clusterfuck with everyone charging around at full speed. The guns look and feel good though.

Looking forward to the 3.0 stuff but my expectations are very checked.

Last edited:

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sphli5

SQ42 on console. Blackmailing your backers 101
As soon as news broke about the Lumberyard engine switch, I knew this was going to happen. Which is pretty much why I mentioned it as one of the bullet points my Irreconcilable Differences blog.

http://www.dereksmart.com/2016/12/star-citizen-irreconcilable-differences/

It just makes sense from a financial perspective.

The most hilarious thing is that they won't dare try to put Star Citizen on consoles, like Frontier did with Elite Dangerous because it's an un-optimized mess. Plus backer whales will completely revolt. Remember the "I am a PC game" spiel from 2012? Or how Chris Roberts proclaimed that he was "Going to save PC gaming"? No? Here it is again:

https://youtu.be/w7FUx6JHuMk

But with SQ42, given his recent statements (which you can read below) in the media about using it to fund SC if funding stopped, I think he is basically blackmailing backers now. See, if backers stop putting money into the SC furnace, then Chris will have to use SQ42 to fund it. Just like he said. Hence a console version seeing as most of the people who would have bought SQ42, have already PRE-PAID for it. So the growth path, especially for a space game with a completely disastrous and tarnished rep, is severely limited.

It's a fucking genius plan if you ask me.

http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/star-citizen-musings/#post-5198

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I suppose I should rephrase "can Dread Pirate Roberts dodge the Smart Missile?" into "Dread Pirate Roberts can't dodge the Smart Missile."

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
16105500_1253681504685133_1190020872189582700_n.jpg

"Computer Programming Graduates from Japan visiting us in LA"

+M

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
How come I got an email saying that it was about a production schedule and there were no dates in it at all? Do they need to look up "schedule" in the dictionary?

It sounds to me like they are going under by the end of the year.

francisbaud

Novice

The complexity and scope of this game is mind-blowing. Invented languages are not something I get excited about but it's cool to know that they're putting much effort in this particular field to make it as coherent/believable as possible. If the rest of the game is built that way it may be a very special title. If it ever releases... =P

This is why we can't have nice things. Sperging about the amazing features of a non-existent game is insane. Look at any interview with a developer about the 'initial scope' of their game. They all start out with sky-high ambitions, and then somewhere along the line, well before the first videos, a superior tells them how badly they'll blow their budget and miss their deadlines, and they scale it back to something they can actually make. This is like taking that initial 'I want to make this, therefore I can' naivety and selling it as a game that's actually been made.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't understand why they don't turn to Elite: dongs-r-us. Yeah it has a lot of issues, but at least it's a real game that actually gets meaningful updates.
I tried playing that.
I gave up after 5 hours of trying to get through the battle tutorial. I admire people who can play this with kb+mouse, but I honestly can't. I was drifting around in space like a drunken cow propelled by its farts.
That was the first game I was unable to play due to an obvious lack of skill on my side, ever.

Pretty sure I would be just fine with a proper joystick set (at least I had no trouble with Freespace back in the day), but I can't be arsed to buy one for just one game...

You know, I'd be happy with just another Freelancer game. I don't need super realistic controls.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
C3HXStaWIAAGa6I.jpg:large

Also, there was a new Around the Verse episode which consists of 40 minutes of the one programmer who looks like he's high fantasizing about their non-existent AI. Seriously, they basically say the have no proper AI yet, no tools for designers to make missions... and SQ42 was supposed to be released last year?

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave up after 5 hours of trying to get through the battle tutorial. I admire people who can play this with kb+mouse, but I honestly can't. I was drifting around in space like a drunken cow propelled by its farts.

Sounds like you may have had "Flight Assist" or whatever the setting is called, switched off. It's near impossible to control your craft without it, but even experienced pilots leave it on 99% of the time, toggling it off in dogfights to pull off a faster turn/yaw than normally possible, then back on to line up the target.
If what this guy says is true, I definitely had it on. At least my inputs like throttle were not accumulative, they were just setting the target the ship would go for.
Still I was unable to even fly straight or turn to face an enemy before being reduced to rubble.
Funny enough, trying to use a controller was even worse :lol:
I'm pretty sure there's no way I'll ever play this game if I don't buy some HOTAS style joystick for another game as well.

But the only game I'd do that for is Star Citizen. And that will simply never come out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom