Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Data4

Arcane
TAKE MY GODDAMN MONEY RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Frusciante

Cipher
Project: Eternity
The GW model is great. It's not pay2win like most F2P. But the devs do generate revenue so they can keep adding content.

Kind of dissapointing that the site is still not working properly though. The first day of a crowdfunding campaign is crucial so I hope this doesnt affect them too much. Also I'm just very curious to know how much money has been raised so far.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
The GW model is great. It's not pay2win like most F2P. But the devs do generate revenue so they can keep adding content.

Kind of dissapointing that the site is still not working properly though. The first day of a crowdfunding campaign is crucial so I hope this doesnt affect them too much. Also I'm just very curious to know how much money has been raised so far.

I saw last night (about 13-14 hours ago) that it was 94k.

Hellraiser

Arcane
Ahh, motherf.. posted a duplicate thread. I didn't see his video posted (this is not only the trailer)
Star Citizen - Announcement - GDC 2012 Panel

skip to 24 min. to see the game in action.

If it lets me bind stuff like "cut power to forward-upper thrusters, divert it to shields/other thrusters" to keys like I assume Chris BROberts is saying then this is major :incline:.

Honestly the fly-by-wire simulation they want to pull off with game simulating the flight computer, by figuring out which currently operable thruster(s) will be best used to make the specified maneuver sound very :obviously:.

My only complaint is that the combat looked a bit slow with fighters not really moving very fast, the same applies to projectiles. Then again this is a prototype and flight/projectile velocity isn't something that should be hard to change in future builds.

Jarpie it was at least 130k when I checked and posted that it's over 6% funded.

kaizoku

Arcane
So will this be another MMO goldigging popamole or what?

I want to know what they're focusing on. If the SP gameplay or if in the MMO goldz.

Suchy

Arcane
Ahh, motherf.. posted a duplicate thread. I didn't see his video posted (this is not only the trailer)
Star Citizen - Announcement - GDC 2012 Panel

skip to 24 min. to see the game in action.

Looks awesome. He just shouldn't say the word "realistic" when talking about this game.

kaizoku

Arcane
Where exactly is the money counter?
link please

How much has been pledged so far?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I find it odd that space flight sims have almost completely died out, as their gameplay actually translates to a controller pretty well. Certainly better than FPS, which are rampant.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
So will this be another MMO goldigging popamole or what?

I don't know if it's golddigging, but it's definitely a popamole (whatever that is).

I had a good look on their website yesterday (pledges were at 155k when I looked that time) and it was heavily about Online Gaming and that "content will continuously be added". I don't know how content can continuously be added in a SP mode. This can only mean that the content delivered is continuing the storyline, which means that until the game is fully finished it's pointless to play if you prefer SP only. And the time when it's finished may be 5 years in the future... Unfortunately this makes me avoid the game.

:obviously:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe you guys still get excited :lol:

Just another rape in progress.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
I find it odd that space flight sims have almost completely died out, as their gameplay actually translates to a controller pretty well. Certainly better than FPS, which are rampant.

Its that nobody gives a shit about space anymore. The space craze of the 60s lasted up to the early 80s, and then it was gone all of a sudden.

Dexter

Arcane
The site is still down, and no news or anything. He kinda fucked this up by not going with KickStarter, didn't he?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I've always thought it was because hunting for ships flying around you in the blackness of space was a bit confusing and not as VISCERAL as popamole bro shooting.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
My interest died down when he started talking MMO... regardless of whether or not it's the Guild Wars model.

Keshik

Arcane
Yeah, he should have gone with KS - might have stood up to the attention a bit better. Doing well enough though, nearing $500,000.

made

Arcane
Nothing MMO about it. EVE with dogfights and more story would have been great, but with ~100 players per server this will have none of its MP dynamics like massive fleets, player-run economy, or politics...

Syril

Liturgist
Queued
ITT: Redding & undrstandienggg is tEh hRd

I'll put it as easy as it can be.

2 games in 1.

Star Citizen + Squadron 42

Star Citizen = Privateer + Freelancer = multiplayer = MMO

Squdron 42 = Wing Commander = Singplayer

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

2 games in 1.

Exactamundo.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity

2 games in 1.

Meh not like this game will get funded anyway.

made

Arcane
A Message from Chris Roberts

When I said I missed old school difficulty to gaming you probably didn’t think that I would make the pledge process more difficult than fighting the toughest boss monster in Demon’s Souls!

Well neither did I!

Wednesday morning we set out to prove that PC gaming and Space Sims are not dead… and prove it, we did!

We’re absolutely floored by the attention and humbled by your comments. We hoped everyone would be excited about the big idea behind Star Citizen and Squadron 42 — but we had no expectation about the kind of praise and interest we received yesterday.

The downside of all this attention was that the huge number of people from all around the world trying to learn about Star Citizen and make their pledge, crashed our custom crowd funding page and also took down the core community site.

Until then, we were on track to break crowd funding records. Now, thirty hours later, we’re only just getting the core site back online. The proper crowd funding page is still unfortunately down, but we have a backup site that, while not having the full range of features we intended, can take people’s pledges. With this site we have to update the data manually as there is no way to easily collect the crowd funding statistics on a live basis, which is why you haven’t seen a counter on the backup site. We are working very hard to get the main crowd funding plug in to play nice with the rest of the site, so we can deliver the seamless experience we envisioned when opting to have the crowd funding integrated into the main community site. Don’t worry, no one has lost their golden ticket, and we will ensure that everyone who makes a pledge on the backup site is connected to their community account. Please be patient while we organize this process.

We didn’t just set out to raise money to build a game; we set out to build a community. The intention was never to shut off the forums, disable the Golden Tickets or stop the flow of information after the launch; anything but. We hope you’ll bear with us as we get the community back online. The features you’ve enjoyed for the past month will continue — the Comm-Link, RSI Museum and Time Capsule — along with much more information about Star Citizen and chances to interact with its development team. As we move forward in this endeavor, you are our strongest asset; a vanguard of dedicated fans who will help us build and promote this game.

If you’re one of the lucky few warriors that snuck past the Java trolls and WordPress goblins to access the pledge site yesterday, thank you so much for your dedication.

If not, we promise we’ve beaten back these evil interlopers and ask you to pledge and spread the word to make this new universe possible. We are listening to you on the forums, are committed to giving you daily updates and will be rolling out some exciting new features in the coming days that hopefully make up for our initial snafu.

We lost the opportunity to break the first day record, but the race isn’t over yet! We currently stand at $455, 590 raised from 4,564 pledges which is pretty impressive considering the outage we’ve had. Seems everyone wants the RSI Constellation and physical goodies!

But we need get this up. Space Sims trumped RPGs in the old days, let’s get a little of that inter-genre friendly rivalry back!

If you haven’t made your pledge yet, please do as I would hate for the technical problems to have derailed our initial momentum. We still have a ways to go but I have no doubt with your support we will get there. This is our chance to tell the world: PC gaming and space sims are BACK!

Chris Roberts
Cloud Imperium Games
Was there some internal competition going on at Origin as to which celebrity designer could trick EA to spend the bigger budget on their game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom