Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Has anybody looked into the people who are buying those ships at those absurd prices? I'd like to see what crazy looks like in real life.
Did blaine post a picture of himself? :smug:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Has anybody looked into the people who are buying those ships at those absurd prices? I'd like to see what crazy looks like in real life.
Did blaine post a picture of himself? :smug:
here
American_Ninja_730x730.jpg

Grokalibre

Savant
Considering how long this game has been in the oven, I'm surprised that EA hasn't released a new Wing Commander, Xwing or at least "hi-res" remakes of the older games. This game supposedly has made a crap ton of money and I would have thought the EA bosses would have at least attempted to get a piece of that.

It has made "crap ton" of money cause it's offering something bigger and better to PC gamers and sci-fi lovers. HD versions of old games will not even make them half of the money SC has already made.

giphy.gif

The fidelity!!! The groundbreaking tech! #notacult!!!

I didn't know they had bugs in-game.

:outrage:

#ObviouslyAscam #ScamCitizen #Hashtag
Keep the faith, citizen. I'm sure the next patch will fix everything and not just introduce more bugs. All that promised content is just around the corner.

I'm not a citizen though. Never backed it. Only games I ever early backed/per-ordered were Conan Exiles (pile of shit) and ELEX (good).

I just think it's fucking stupid that PC gamers are whining and expecting to fail, a developer trying to push the limits of gaming. Back in 90s, people couldn't wait for games like these. Hell, when I played Freelancer back in 2003, despite what it couldn't do, it did a lot and a lot of the fans of that game want MORE of that. Star Citizen is becoming a game what Freelancer should've been and now, PC gamers are busy attacking the development like Microsoft did Freelancer's.

I am guessing this is why real "Citizens" who backed the project are always defending the game. They see the whining twats coming up with "Scam Citizen" and fear that developer will try to rush the project again, like Freelancer. Maybe even make a console friendly version even.

I do suspect that many people making fun of Star Citizen are console-tards who recently bought a Alienware and now think they are PC gamers, while they demand gamepad controls in every game on forums. I bet some of you are. Probably want a gamepad control for playing Infinity engine games.

:M

How much did your lover spend in that scam for you to be that butthurt?
Or maybe you suffer from split personnality, so you're not a citizen but the other that only appears when you eat your veggies spent a few grands on jpegs.
Please tell, friend, it's entertaining.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I'm baffled anyone with any sense, much less anyone who actually has an inkling of an idea about software development, could think this game is anything but a continuously running scam that will keep on going until there's no money left to squeeze out of the ignoranamuses. I would be surprised if anyone at CIG actually expected this to release.
Hahahaha the lead developer of Stellaris is a big Star Citizen whale,it is no wonder that his game is that bad.:lol::lol::lol:

Drakron

Arcane
I just think it's fucking stupid that PC gamers are whining and expecting to fail, a developer trying to push the limits of gaming. Back in 90s, people couldn't wait for games like these. Hell, when I played Freelancer back in 2003, despite what it couldn't do, it did a lot and a lot of the fans of that game want MORE of that. Star Citizen is becoming a game what Freelancer should've been and now, PC gamers are busy attacking the development like Microsoft did Freelancer's.

Funny you mention Freelancer were the game was only finished after Chris Roberts kinda left (MS brought Digital Anvil and he left the company when the deal was completed, he remained as a consultant) and you seen the result and whay was that?

Because there is "pushing the limits" as "disregard any technical limitations", what he wanted to do was and is impossible and in many cases its not something you should even attempt considering that things can spin out of control, the idea of several people manning stations on a ship will have to deal with the reality that manning a turret isnt exactly EXCITING GAMEPLAY, attempting to create a "player driven economy" always headfirst into the fact that a virtual economy works quite different and it might be detrimental to the game economy since it will lack the RL mechanisms of preventing price rigging and cartel behavior that are very easily done on a MMO due to the fact there are far less economical agents and thus the market is more easily manipulated and cornered.

But that is not the reason people want it to fail, to me Star Citizen is nothing but a MMO for WHALES ... when they got the whale taste back in 2013 they never let go so it gone up and up on monetization and this is pre-launch, imagine the state of the game when they had over FIVE YEARS of people buying ships that CAN be converted into credits, the entire game economy is already fucked and this is PRE-RELEASE! You are competing with people that with money had a hell of a headstart and you cannot catch up unless you became a whale yourself.

Star Citizen only pushed the barrier of how people are willing to spend on someone else dream, its never going to be released because Chris Roberts wants it to have everything and the kitchen sink no matter what limitations there are, they build things backyards (its unbelievable stupid to create a game were framerate stability isnt the primary concern but the fucking models, this is why people call it a slide-show since are talking about single digits frame rates) and since everything must be on release, there is nothing to expand upon really and expanding is MMO extended life, did the game really needed a fucking mining system at launch? did it need all the systems to be there BEFORE the basic system is even completed?

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm baffled anyone with any sense, much less anyone who actually has an inkling of an idea about software development, could think this game is anything but a continuously running scam that will keep on going until there's no money left to squeeze out of the ignoranamuses. I would be surprised if anyone at CIG actually expected this to release.
Hahahaha the lead developer of Stellaris is a big Star Citizen whale,it is no wonder that his game is that bad.:lol::lol::lol:
This makes a depressing amount of sense.

:negative:

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I can only speak for myself but I'd pledge 20k dollars or so for Chris Roberts to come into my room at night and gently whisper all the upcoming features while I slowly drift to sleep. Is there a package like that?

Beowulf

Arcane
I can only speak for myself but I'd pledge 20k dollars or so for Chris Roberts to come into my room at night and gently whisper all the upcoming features while I slowly drift to sleep. Is there a package like that?
You want Robert's package?

Edija

Arcane
Patron

I mean, I'd take it if he just spices it up with all the mindblowing things I'll be able to do in Star Citizen soon.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

I mean, I'd take it if he just spices it up with all the mindblowing things I'll be able to do in Star Citizen soon.
For 20 grand you better be getting more than your mind blown.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If you're flying a current-generation fighter jet, and you have to aim your gun manually, you already lost. Everything else is computer controlled. Even the controls are fly-by-wire.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Sure, SymbolicFrank, but consider this: Lasers are cool as fuck. Incredibly advanced scifi computers are also cool as fuck. Any writer worth his salt, and who posesses a keen eye for the cool as fuck, won't allow himself to be constrained by your defeatist attitude.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Manually aiming a laser in a space ship and the existence of computers are two incompatible things.
True, but automatically aiming lasers is just boring gameplay.
Realistically, you shouldn't have to do anything except give the occasional tactical command, maybe.
But nobody would want to play that. I mean, for snooze-fest gameplay there is already EVE - and there are only so many people interested in playing an Excel-sheet in space.

Latelistener

Arcane
I mean, for snooze-fest gameplay there is already EVE - and there are only so many people interested in playing an Excel-sheet in space.
EVE will probably outlive Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, considering that it's still getting expansions after 15 years since its release.
It actually managed to build decent economic and social parts, which means every online (space) game is years behind on what EVE can offer.
And despite the jokes about Excel it looks fairly decent:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
It can be quite fun, if well done. And the old Wing Commanders already did most of that.

I liked to fly missile boats: get a lock (which can fail, ECM), fire the right missile. But it's not that easy: often, there are multiple enemies, so you have to keep them all in sight, and they're all trying to shoot at you.

(Most) missiles have aspect ratios: the launcher has to point in a certain cone towards the enemy.

And there are lots of counter measures: chaff, explosions, ECM, ECCM, point-defense (<- laser), etc.

The later games, like Freelancer, happen in a flat, 2D space and automatically track your mouse cursor. Even less interesting.

I modded Freelancer myself to add automatic turrets. My favorite ships were the saucer with a big auto-turret on the top and bottom, or the large Rheinmetal freighter with turrets on all sides. It's not that different; instead of shooting at your cursor, they shot at incoming enemies.

Norfleet

It actually managed to build decent economic and social parts, which means every online (space) game is years behind on what EVE can offer.
And this would also be its weakness: That said portions are now a solved property of those who have been there for said 15 years and there is no real territory for YOU to get involved in.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I mean, for snooze-fest gameplay there is already EVE - and there are only so many people interested in playing an Excel-sheet in space.
EVE will probably outlive Star Citizen and Elite: Dangerous, considering that it's still getting expansions after 15 years since its release.
Sure, EVE looks great. And I think it is a good game.
But by far not for everyone.
Especially not for those just wanting to fly around in space and have some action.

And in contrast to what SC tries to do (I THINK), all those economy aspects of EVE are not optional, but actually the core of the game.
While the action parts of EVE feel very indirect and not satisfying.

I tried getting into EVE multiple times, but it always ended the same. The economics part felt totally overburdening and way too complex to get into, while the action was very "meh". Hence Excel in space.
Elite: Dangerous looked way more like something I'd like, but I was simply unable to control it with kb+m and not willing to buy a proper flight stick for just one game.

Last edited:

Latelistener

Arcane
That said portions are now a solved property of those who have been there for said 15 years and there is no real territory for YOU to get involved in.
People in power are there not because they have OP characters they grinded for 15 years, but for their experience and skills. Unlike other games, equipment and stats do not matter in EVE.

Especially not for those just wanting to fly around in space and have some action.
Many games have that, but none of them have what EVE has.

Last edited:
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
EVE is awesome and looks better than ever (check out abbyssal deadspace). I've been playing it off and on since 2006. It is very hard to get into if you don't have someone to explain stuff to you. If I only had bit more free time, I would love to take codexers on eve trips. Though if you limit yourself to free to play alpha clone, you can have oodles of fun doing pvp in cheap frigates.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom