Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
a fuckload of fedex quests, game breaking quests if not careful and pixel hunting in random locations.
That's not good... Thanks for the advice.
I have my fair share of fun with the mod, but that's mostly because of the core mechanics of the base game. One thing that i find interesting with the shotting is the one shot kill mechanic. Strelok rarely survives more than two bullets and so does other Stalkers, armor are only useful for enviromnent resistance, so that makes encounters with human enemies(or zombified stalkers) a tense and scary affair. Mutants are mostly weak with some new added mutants such as a werewolf(ugly reskin of a chimera) and Metro 2033's Librarian(reskinned Izlom). Funny thing about the Librarian is that they spawn spiders when you land shots in it. Im sure DraQ would love these mutants :troll:

Essegi

Cipher
One thing that i find interesting with the shotting is the one shot kill mechanic. Strelok rarely survives more than two bullets and so does other Stalkers
I've found some mods that improves accuracy and damage make the game easier, not sure they were 1hit kill... (i remember OL ultimate and Redux... I did a complete walkthorug with redux and armors didn't stop bullets well.. But artifacs were buffed and in endgame i was with 100% bullet resist... Just bleeding was an issue. Gamebreaking but fun). One of the hardest mod i've experienced was plain oblivion lost or maybe i was more inexperienced (deadlier than vanilla but not 1 hit kill)... I remember also narodnaya solyanka dmz amk (some compilation) being hard, but i didn't play because loading times were too long. I've also memories of OGSE being nasty (but i just tried it on the fly).
Btw probably i'm not going to play it again now.:p

Last edited:

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Im tempted to try Lost World Origins. There is plenty of old build maps and they claim to have merged SOC prypiat with COP prypiat. Anyone played it?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I am about to replay SoC using ZRP + Weather Overhaul + Some cosmetic shit, is there anything I should consider changing from the defaults?

TripJack

Hedonist
zrp defaults are fine, if you've got shaders max you'll probably want to tone down the saturation and turn off that depth of field garbage

Yes.

http://www.metacognix.com/stlkrsoc/

Many customizable features:
  • Skip unwanted side quests.
  • Change quest time limits without having to change files.
  • Configure respawns for more or less mutants and NPCs.
  • Turn off head-bobbing or simply reduce it.
  • See suit stats before you buy, keep unique weapons from deteriorating.
  • Tweak actor parameters - carry weight, view height, vulnerability, endurance, etc.
  • Use a pseudo-hotkey (defaults to Esc F1) for antirad.
  • Adjust PDA/trade/search/inventory screens to improve ergonomics.
  • Intra-level jump for fast travel across levels.
  • Carry explosives.
  • Quickly add/configure/disable/re-enable the most popular mini-mods.
  • Start anywhere. The Zone Is Open.
  • The TZIO feature includes Free Play and comes with TSL16b's front-end dialog.
Easily the best of those features. I suppose the bobbing accurately simulates how it feels to be an angry drunken Russian but it's just unplayable.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah I found it. Looks like it's On by default, I'll tone it down and see if it's more tolerable otherwise I'll turn it off completely

Easily the best of those features. I suppose the bobbing accurately simulates how it feels to be an angry drunken Russian but it's just unplayable.
It reminds me of argonians on Morrowind

Russians (they prefer Pyский in Cyrillic, their native tongue, a word that seems to mean "People of the Ethanol") are the little-understood reptilian denizens of the Soviet Union. Years of defending their borders have made the Russians experts in guerrilla warfare, and their natural abilities make them equally at home on snow and on land. They have developed natural immunities to the diseases and cold that have doomed many would-be explorers and conquerors of the region, and have been known to exude a sharp, faintly sulfurous odor when agitated. Very old Russians can be distinguished by their paler, even translucent, skin. Their seemingly expressionless faces belie a calm intelligence, and many Russians are well-versed in the magical arts. Others rely on stealth or steel to survive, and their natural agility makes them adept at either. They are, in general, a reserved people, slow to trust and hard to know, yet they are fiercely loyal, and will fight to the death for those they have named as droogs.

While Russians appear reptilian in nature at first glance, they also exhibit qualities of fish and amphibians: they are able to drink underwater through small holes under their noses, and swim using the same method as that of a tadpole or eel by moving their butt side-to-side to propel through the water. Russians possess the most alien personalities in all of Earth from a Sapiens or Neanderthal perspective and it is often assumed that Russians possess neither personality nor emotions. Of course this is not true; Russians simply do not facially express their emotions as much as saps and thal do, though anger is easily detectable from their bared teeth and narrowed eyes. Russians' genders are sometimes referred to as life-phases, implying they may be able to change gender. It is said that upon exiting the juvenile stage of life, a Russian will dunk an entire bottle of vodka in order to stimulate the hormonal glands, which sprout appropriate organs from which the Russian's gender can be determined. However, this is unconfirmed, and Russian newborns may apparently be of either gender. Russian appearance ranges from reptilian to almost human; this is caused by the Alcohol they ingest as newborns, which ceremonially takes place on their Naming Day. Ancient cave paintings depict figures which appear to be more tree-like than Russian.

TripJack

Hedonist
Oy vey GSC are horrible cockteases. Finished SoC last night, I was expecting CNPP to be a massive sprawling complex filled with anomalies and all sorts of horrible mutants. Instead all I got was a tiny corridor full of monolith soldiers, a few radiation spots, some asshole speaking moonlanguage into my brain for the first part, and some bizarro teleportation schtick for the last part. Did GSC just run out of money? Or they just got tired of development and said fuck it? I still liked the game a lot. Yantar, the red forest, and the underground bits were all very well done and, except for some tedious backtracking (like going to meet the guide and doctor), the rest was fine too until the end. But what a lame end :cry:

DraQ

Arcane
Oy vey GSC are horrible cockteases. Finished SoC last night, I was expecting CNPP to be a massive sprawling complex filled with anomalies and all sorts of horrible mutants. Instead all I got was a tiny corridor full of monolith soldiers, a few radiation spots, some asshole speaking moonlanguage into my brain for the first part, and some bizarro teleportation schtick for the last part. Did GSC just run out of money? Or they just got tired of development and said fuck it? I still liked the game a lot. Yantar, the red forest, and the underground bits were all very well done and, except for some tedious backtracking (like going to meet the guide and doctor), the rest was fine too until the end. But what a lame end :cry:
Agreed about the ending.

IMO uncharted Zone beyond Freedom's outpost should be a twisted land of pure mindfuck, terror and the unknown (and terror of the unknown, obviously), mutants (new and old), radiation, anomalies (new and old), twisted environments and resource attrition should be main challenges, Monolithians should be few if any. There should be plenty of new artifacts too.
The true endings and especially the explanation for the zone should be changed too (CoP does a decent job trying to smooth SoC over).

Brotip: if you play with ZRP the best true ending gives you an opportunity to stay in the game after finishing it and roam freely around the Zone.

TripJack

Hedonist
I know Clear Sky gets a lot of hate here (and everywhere else too), but is it worth a spin with Sky Reclamation Project?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
That and it's very linear and buggy as fuck. It does have some interesting moments though, and the Red Forest is proper creepy.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Yeah CS is still worth playing, iirc Sky Reclamation Project is best for first.
And same as earlier - avoid Complete like a plague.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I honestly don't notice much difference in that regard between Complete and ZRP on master

What neuters difficulty in STALKER is being able to carry 50 medkits that you can use instantly. I actually refuse to use keybinds to LARP a bit

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
I honestly don't notice much difference in that regard between Complete and ZRP on master

In Vanilla Clear Sky, you couldn't sell damaged weapons to merchants or trade with other stalkers. This made getting money for upgrades VERY, VERY difficult. Especially considering Vanilla Clear Sky didn't allow you to sell mutant organs, and every bullet eats your armor like it's cheese and repair fee is so fucking high, it was EXTREMELY hard to get fully upgraded exosuit and F2000/G36 for Limansk and Hospital fight. And the faction war was not working with Vanilla 1.0 so it was almost impossible to make enough money to buy anything.

I went through those two maps with constantly jamming non-accurate peasant guns in a non-fully-upgraded SEVA suit. It was a fucking TENSE experience!

I think Complete (and later official updates) changed that.

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
I didn't have any problem with Complete.

Admittedly I have the dexterity and hand-eye coordination of an 80 year old quadriplegic, so I mostly play the series for atmosphere and exploration rather than for intense gun fights.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't understand the issues with Complete either; on SoC it gave nice textures, parallax, magnificent weather effects, sleeping bags, repair kits and a somewhat bloated economy which balanced itself out with expensive as hell weapons and armors which you could arguably find right on the next mission but if you didn't know that it made for a pretty fun first playthrough
I change my opinion from time to time of my favorite mod for SoC (currently Autum Aurora 2) and I recognize ZRP is probably the most "purist" experience but I still enjoy Complete and would recommend it...although just for SoC, for CS SRP and for CoP Misery 1.2

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
Complete is for faggots. Like playing System Shock 2 with unlimited ammo, no respawns and no weapon degradation.

Real men play Misery 1.2 and Autumn Aurora 2.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
The biggest baffle with Complete IIRC was AI. Vanilia AI was decent, most mods turn AI into cheating machines with wallhacking, autoaim and inbuild nightvision while Complete AI was the dumbest of them all.
Now you catch it? Complete do opposite. Turn them into average canon fodder from modern FPSes. That's why it's so much recomended.

Also - balistic was removed. Like, point crosshair on enemy's head, click and watch his dying animation in the same time.

There was some huge list of Complete's issues, my google-fu is not succesful enough to find it.

praetor

Arcane
There was some huge list of Complete's issues, my google-fu is not succesful enough to find it.

this?

First Time STALKER? Try Vanilla First

Before playing any mod, you should try out the game in its pure vanilla state, to understand how the mods change gameplay and other game aspects.

Why Complete 2009/2012 Is Not Vanilla 2.0:

- All weapons have their accuracy increased by 10-20.
- Damage done to everybody is decreased by various percentages.
- Weight limit is increased by 10kg, the maximum being 70kg. In vanilla, the Exo-suit enabled up to 80kg!
- Limits NPC's eye sight distance so they can't spot you from beyond ~100 meters. Said to remove enemies skill to spot you from "unrealistic distances," but really means you always see them first every time.
- Sound radius of the knife and other critical sounds such as death cries, falling dead bodies, night-vision goggles, grass, and footsteps are greatly reduced.
- scientific suits with 90% rad protection now feature an anti-rad injection system.
- Bandages auto-apply at 10% health.

The following features are also available in other mods, but are usually balanced out with other forms of difficulty:

- You can bribe hostile factions to leave you alone.
- A repair kit that lets you service your armor and weapons without the need for a trader can be bought from traders.
- The bar trader and Screw now sell weapons and armor repair services.
- Elite Nightvision, essentially the black & white night vision based on the psy_antenna postprocess effect, replaces the original UV-based blue NV. Perfect vision in the dark is now possible, even without a real light source.

In short, it makes the game a bit easier than vanilla, which may be fine if you are a pure-FPS type of player.

An older version of ZRP is used for Complete 2009's bug fixes. It lacks the Permanent Radiation Bug fix but you can add that. Just search for the fix if you need it.

it's usually found on the /vg/ stalker general on that dreadful 4chan

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom