Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Because he's always like that. Overly aggressive towards anyone pointing their mod's flaws.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
For first playthrough?
No.

I don't know, even on first playthrough I felt the game was too easy. Maybe he should use misery 1.2?

Well, any mods that have in descriptions infos about AI tweaks give you 95% chance that enemy will get free autoaim and wallhacks.
Also - SGM mods series have option to send Alpha Squad at you.
Anyway - there is AMK mod for CoP called AMK Devolution, try it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
[using my magic crystal ball mod database]
Well, there is mod called Call of Pripyat Redux. What it do? Fix some minor things and make game more difficult.
So here is the answer.

There is version 1.5b avaliable. V2.0 will be soon and hope it won't be same fail as Mistery 1.2 -> Mistery 2.0

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
For all the guys playing Lost Alpha: Get A-Life :troll:

The super dark nights turned me off.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I honestly stopped playing soon after I went into the Darkscape. Holy shit, these people actually thought I'd enjoy having to constantly fucking run up and down this shithole to get into a mine just so I can get my fucking equipment back? Are these people deranged?

And whoever defends the fucking zombies in this game should be rounded up and shot. They simply are not challenging or tense or scary or threatening or anything. They're just slow-moving bullet sponges who basically don't have a hope in heaven of ever actually harming. At least the original zombies were a legitimate threat. They're slow and can't shoot for shit, but they're still firing at you with guns that can kill you in one hit and are difficult (but not unreasonably so) to take down reliably. Not to mention they were used sparingly and put in areas where they complemented the environments (i.e. the area with an anomaly called the brain scorcher, fittingly enough, is invested with zombie stalkers who've had their brain turned to pudding by it). The zombies in LA are placed haphazardly in areas and seem to solely exist because the developers looked at certain sections of the game and said "This area doesn't have enough monsters" or "The player probably has waaay too much ammo at this point, let's fix that".

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Gaaaaaaah! I am at X18 right now and it's just ridiculous. The lab is built fine, pretty meticulous, but MY GOD THE DESIGN. The place is filled with anomalies for some reason, so not only did they kill most of the mutants before I got a chance to see them, but my detector is beeping like crazy. It's pretty hard to feel afraid, when all you're hearing is BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

The flashback cutscenes are also just terrible. I could understand that they look clunky as hell and the voice acting is terrible, but they also make no sense from a design perspective. They are done in engine, but the surrounding rooms remain the same as now, so you've got scientists walking around a room with a bunch of anomalies on the floor and radioactive cement oozing out the walls.

What really broke me was this.

Fuck it, I don't know if the link skips to the right moment. It's at 20:42

That's right. An animated skeleton, who explodes in a storm of blood, followed by an evil laugh and cliche lights turning off. Then a pseudogiant attacks you out of nowhere, along with two Burers.

Seriously what the fuck? Is this Doom 3 now? Am I exploring abandoned Soviet scientific facilities or the pits of hell?

Last edited:

DraQ

Arcane
Seriously what the fuck? Is this Doom 3 now? Am I exploring abandoned Soviet scientific facilities or the pits of hell?
Dumb 3. OLOLOL.

It seems DraQ was right once again - about vast majority of STALKER modding scene not knowing atmosphere even if they boarded Columbia on its final flight.

Though actually, I'd prefer being right less often.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I don't know, maybe I am becoming one of those "happy is she is naked" kind of guys but getting to play some more Stalker with pretty graphics and some nice maps seems enough for me you know? Getting last nite through Lab 16 it felt different, the bigger maps feel perhaps too big and not filled with enough interesting stuff to do; none of the "emergent gameplay" of Fallout New Vegas where you might run into a small building with its own mini story...which kind of sucks.
But on the other hand it is this or replay Call of Pripyat for the 10th time
And I fully prefer the Misery 1.2 experience to the newer 2.2 but it is not bad at all
In a way Misery 1.2 vs 2.2 is the crux of moders; 1.2 is a modded Call of Pripyat with some new textures and some tweaks on the gameplay mechanics, while 2.2 decided to change a bit too much towards a different experience...if that makes it a better experience than the first mod is up to debate
In the case of Lost Alpha it feels like they originaly wanted to add some of the older areas an implement some unused monsters and mechanics, but from there they decided to go further and expand maps, change existing ones (which were perfectly fine before) and kind of went a bit overboard
Seems to me modders sometimes don't know when to stop or to let go
In a sense the whole "leaked demo" fiasco was a blessing in disguise so they would just stop adding monsters and instead focused on mechanics and bugs

Last edited:

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I just passed X18 in lost Alpha. It was a massive pain in the arse finding all those documents in that dark, buggy hell hole. And since my internet is bad I had to do it completely blind, searching room by room until all I had left was the elevator shafts that hid the last room in the complex with the computer code and documents. But I can say one thing. Whoever thought that these tedious Dark vally/Darkscape missions leading up to this were a good idea needs to be taken out and flogged with a chain.

Get a bandit jacket from an obsure hole in the ground. Get the code from the bandit. Go to the monolith base to get something from there. Get chased by the army who don't care that the assault team that teleported in only managed to kill one Monolithian before getting wiped out (G36 was nice at least) so long as they can annoy you all the way to the darkscape. Walk all the way back to the bandit base you were just at to get the code to the monolith, to get more codes. Go back to the Monolith base and kill them all now that the bandit jacket no longer hides you, and find the X18 front door. Walk all the way back to the darkscape. Since the door code they give you isn't the one you need. Give the Sin leader the documents he wanted so he gives you the front door code (5271) so you can walk all the way back to the dark vally (if you aviod the army rocket launchers you can drive a jeep back) Run around for ages in X18 until you find all the codes so you can run back to the Darkscape and give the Sin leader the info.THEN run back to the bar to give the Duty guy the info HE wanted.

In the same amount of time it took me to do that I could have completed vanilla Stalker and got half way through COP.

Darklife

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wait, didn't you get a message with the door code from the Sin dude after opening the bandit safe?

Also I think the jacket WAS supposed to hide you. All of the bandits at the base had this 5 minute delay before attacking me, so I just strutted through the building slaughtering them. THEN Sin dude says I'll have to fight my way out.

Also, my RPG soldier in Darkscape blew himself up with it when I was driving by.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
The Bandit Jacket works against the Bandits up until you get to Borov's office and you open the safe for the documents. My problem with it is that it only works on the Monolith once. I can't tell if the monolith are bugged or they turn hostile the second the safe is opened. Thankfully the Sin leader does nothing if you loot your gear from his stash. Which made that whole section, Coupled with the monolith suit I found in a stash, a lot easier.

As for the Door code, the game only gave me one code, 3823 and the PDA tells me this is the code to the X18 lab security door in the dark vally. If Veles gave me a diffrent code when I opened the safe its never marked down in the PDA. But from now on I will have to start writing these codes down as they come.

Also. Is there anyone in the game that can fix a Sunrise suit?. Wolf can't do it neither can the Duty guy at the bar. Also no one so far can fix custom weapons or sells Russian/NATO scopes and suppressors.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah, if this was an actual, honest-to-god release of the game that you had to pay for (which Dezowave obviously wanted it to be) I'd give it a solid 6/10, with SoC, CS and CoP being an 8, 5, and 9 respectively. Worth taking a gander at if you're already a STALKER fan, but far from the definitive STALKER experience.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I really have to make time to play CS, I mean it is a Stalker game after all but it can't be that bad can it? What would make it that bad?

Echo Mirage

Arcane
Having poor internet I have been stuck with Lost alpha for a whole week now. And I can say this. If Denzoweave (whatever) think this can be sold for real money then they are either mad or drunk. It all starts out well but decends into. Walk forever to cross 3 zones to be told to walk back 3 zones to walk back again, to walk across more zones that exist only to have one man in a house that needs to be talked to, so he can send you to talk to some other guy across the entire zone to learn something that could have been told to me via a phone call. And in doing all this not one thing I have done, minus raid a lab, even feels like I am playing Stalker. If Skyrim is a hiking simulator then Lost alpha is linear walking simulator and the finest of its kind.

As for the plot. I have no damn clue whats going on. I have had the illuminati show up with a teleporting bandit henchman as their dragon. I have shot down a Hind D with a rocket launcher in the pich black darkness (which is most of the time in the game anyway) and had the doctor start talking to me as if he were a troll from world of warcraft as the army show up to rescue us from jail. The only good thing in all of this is being able to meet Streloks team. One of which gave me a VSS sniper rifle and 260 rounds of ammo to kill 3 guys a hundred feet away. At this point I just don't know if I can even bring myself to walk all that way to shut off the brain scorcher.

Overall SOC for all of its cut corners is near perfect when placed against its bigger and emptier former self.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Another part of impression from StalkerSoup.

First thing you're noticed, after enjoying first founded artefact, is his price. Pretty low, 100rubles. Most expensive are 2200rubles, way later. Pretty ripoff comparing to other mods/games in series where one costed 10x more.
BUT this make the other opportunity to other things.
First - cooking
Second - bartering
For example - Saiga 12k for two Medusas, pack of medkits for Stone Flower or Groza assault rifle for Fireball.
And there is some military trader in Agroprom that give you some stuff (even suit!) for vodka bottles. Neat.

Why you waste time with side quests? Recipes (and moneys, for more recipes).
In theory time limit for quests it remowed while in reality some of them may run you into troubles. Like quest with eliminating master stalker in exoskeleton. I come here few days later only to find nothing. Or group of bandits that have mutated visitors. Or finding upgraded weapon from dead stalker (dissapeared after jumping to other map).
Luckly Spawner was still avaliable.

And I've found cool stuff like artefact detector that show every artefact on the map. Oh yes.
You can hoard all artifacts from the map but feel no need to gathering 200k rubles for no reason. Already bored with dosh overload after Sigerous Mod where I got bank account with million rubles and gather 40k rubles daily. And Fallout NV with mods cured me from hoarding items, permamently.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Essegi

Cipher
a fuckload of fedex quests, game breaking quests if not careful and pixel hunting in random locations.
That's not good... Thanks for the advice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom