Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

DraQ

Arcane
I don't even know what is wallhack.
Refers to modifications to an FPS that allows you to see through opaque walls so as to have a competitive advantage over an opponent. First time I heard of it was during CS 1.4 or so, but they may have been implemented earlier.
And in vanilla SoC not too distant NPCs can see you regardless of the level geometry for a split second after the game loads, so if you reload on botched stealth attempt, you get another botched stealth attempt.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Zone Reclamation Project is best for 1st playthrough or people who don't want too much changes/content.

In that case - those who recommend Complete series should chop their dickballs fingers off to stop their bullshiting.

opium fiend

Augur
I don't get it, does Lost Alpha feature a complete new story or not? Different interviews say diff things. I don't know if to play Evolution mod now or wait for Alpha.

(i may have a shitty rig to enjoy all the super realistic features that Alpha promises)

Cazzeris

I don't get it, does Lost Alpha feature a complete new story or not? Different interviews say diff things. I don't know if to play Evolution mod now or wait for Alpha.

(i may have a shitty rig to enjoy all the super realistic features that Alpha promises)
Is Lost Alpha still in development?

I read it got lost.
Here, in the codex.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
It's released 26 April.
Funny thing is - they only release it because leak happen.

opium fiend

Augur
Ok, so what about the story? Is it the same or no? One short snippet I found on some mod site promised a "completely new story". I'm not sure how I feel about that

Baron Dupek

Arcane
IIRC it's Stalker but from 2004 year, when GSC (devs) got tons of ideas, concepts. Also - bigger Zone with more sectors (unique).
Basic Stalker from 2007 have hueg cutting (rushed release) to send it to shops asap because their publisher - THQ - lost patience.
Story will be different, see no other option.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
It sounded like they were going for a new story but I have the feeling we are getting an expanded Shadow of Chernobyl storyline with new quests and NPCs for the brand new zones. I am prefectly happy with that too, a more fleshed out story of Strelok and the Zone
Guess well see come the 26th

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
From what I've heard from people who played it, they changed the story quite a bit:

For example:
In LA, Ghost does not die and joins the player for a fight in late game.

So far I only played the first three missions and they are exactly like SoC vanilla: get the artifact, retrieve a flashdrive and attack the bandit building. The maps are completely different though.

opium fiend

Augur
The maps are completely different though.

For better or worse? Also, I'm wary of the modder's fanfiction. Not that SoC's story was superb, but it was good enough.

btw, to fill time before Lost Alpha comes out, I decided to fire up CoP with Misery 2.1. Is this Dark Mode worth it for the atmosphere or it's just an incredible annoyance?

MasPingon

Arcane
So far I only played the first three missions and they are exactly like SoC vanilla: get the artifact, retrieve a flashdrive and attack the bandit building. The maps are completely different though.

Are they much better?

Lost Alpha is a prequel, they've stated that plenty of times and that's why Ghost will fight with you in the lategame.

I thought Last Alpha was supposed to be a real Stalker - uncut and with all the maps and features.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
btw, to fill time before Lost Alpha comes out, I decided to fire up CoP with Misery 2.1. Is this Dark Mode worth it for the atmosphere or it's just an incredible annoyance?

Isn't that description for Misery?

Darth Slaughter
Game want to tell you this mod suck donkey balls. Game wiser than people on casual forums like neoFag, reddit and similiar with constant recommending Complete for a start.
Filth pigs.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin
Some years ago I played with SOC complete, mostly due to the fact it was a mod that you had no necessity to go on tweaking details... Install it and play. The only problem is that I had some random crashes while changing maps once in a while. I abandoned it in the middle of a playthrough. Recently, i had an urge of actually playing it with the intention of finishiong the game... I decided to go with the starter pack. It is essentially ZRP with some graphical improvements. I must say that complete looks beautiful, though a bit colorful... but the starter pack improves the graphics also and is less colorfull.

The only problem is that days are colorful and nights are gray, and in a night storm, lightining brings a flash of daylight, which means that enviroments get colorful, even when you're indoors, which is kind of annoying.

Lost Alpha is a prequel, they've stated that plenty of times and that's why Ghost will fight with you in the lategame.

I thought Last Alpha was supposed to be a real Stalker - uncut and with all the maps and features.

It's both. They decided to make it into a prequel of what happened to Strelok rather than just going by the vanilla storyline, they stated that it allowed them to structure the game properly rather than having to adhere to the pacing and locales of the old game.

Think of it... as what Clear Sky ought to have been.

DraQ

Arcane
Some years ago I played with SOC complete, mostly due to the fact it was a mod that you had no necessity to go on tweaking details... Install it and play. The only problem is that I had some random crashes while changing maps once in a while. I abandoned it in the middle of a playthrough. Recently, i had an urge of actually playing it with the intention of finishiong the game... I decided to go with the starter pack. It is essentially ZRP with some graphical improvements. I must say that complete looks beautiful, though a bit colorful... but the starter pack improves the graphics also and is less colorfull.

The only problem is that days are colorful and nights are gray, and in a night storm, lightining brings a flash of daylight, which means that enviroments get colorful, even when you're indoors, which is kind of annoying.
So why don't you get just ZRP alone?

It's not like vanilla STALKER visuals are bad and they will at least remain consistent.

MasPingon

Arcane

It's both. They decided to make it into a prequel of what happened to Strelok rather than just going by the vanilla storyline, they stated that it allowed them to structure the game properly rather than having to adhere to the pacing and locales of the old game.

Think of it... as what Clear Sky ought to have been.

Did they use old concepts or is it their cheerful creativity? And how come that at least couple of first quests are the same as in SoC if it's suppose to bea prequel? Game looks great, can't wait untill April 26.

They haven't said. My guess would be that it's a "homage" of a sort. As for old concepts? Yeah, to an extent. However they also applied some of their own creativity to the mix which is why there are accessible computers, a more advanced PDA system and... well... other stuff. I haven't actually played it though but I remember well what their stated goals were in those areas; I have been waiting, and following the progress of this mod, since it was first thought of after all.

Call me a pessimist, but I get the feeling that Lost Alpha is going to be a bit underwhelming on release, nice maps and new renderer aside of course. Haven't seen any "new" features in any of the preview content to convince me otherwise - just a lot of rehashed old ones

As an example, at about 1.00 into the 2014 Demo Video below they show off attaching ammo onto the belt - presumably this needs to be done before it can be used, representing magazine use.

Magazines in SHOC are an old feature - A more advanced magazine mod first turned up in English in late 2009!
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t...ame_type=xr&thm_page=1&thm_id=18394&sec_id=17.

From the Demo Video description:

In this 9 minute demo movie, you will see...the ragdoll changes we made, and smarter npc ai, which you will see during the fights. They will try to hide, and use cover more times, and so on.

Again, ragdoll changes and NPC ai enhancements have been around for years - AI mods been around since the early days of AMK and ragdoll changes are simple to make - here's a thread from 2008 about an old ragdoll mod:
http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t...e_type=xr&thm_page=108&thm_id=15671&sec_id=16
In fact you can see dezodor, lead developer for lost alpha, commenting on the second page of the thread!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom