Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl Mod Thread

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I've been playing the leaked version of Lost Alpha out of sheer curiosity. Bottom line: it's very, very, very good. I've been walking around Cordon and the place is completely different. It's like 4 times bigger and it looks gorgeous. There are many new areas on the map, some old like Dead City and Generators. It looks like the Red Forest is based on the original Radar map this time, and Yantar looks completely different judging from the satellite map. There is a new city, Chernobyl, south-west of Pripyat if I remember correctly.
One thing though, you can't take any bullets in the leaked version so all your guns are pretty much empty. :lol:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Wait a minute, you want me to say that LA creators are not from russia?
Because I was confused with the whole drama, though that russian modders are least possible drama queen to happen.

praetor

Arcane
i think the leader (and probably other members) is russian (dezodor?) but he relocated to the Netherlands or Belgium?

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
Actually the ammo bug isn't a bug, the game uses an ammo system similar to ZoA's: you have to attach ammo boxes to your belt and this prevents you from hoarding tons of loaded ammunition. You also have a water gauge as well as a battery gauge for the flashlight now. Survival seems to be enhanced this time around. I've also met a Bloodsucker and some Pseudodogs in Cordon after the military checkpoint at the bridge, which almost never happened in the original game.

The game is very stable, not a single crash so far and this is a beta several months old. The amount of work that went into this is crazy. If they decide to accept donations in the future they can definitely take my money because this is pure gold.

:takemymoney:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I can wait, same to Oblivion Lost Remake, that I tried in russian mumbling, game is hot and tempting yet language barrier is too much.

FFS why they give translation to people who got no free time at all??

Better to spend that waiting on other mods.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
chestburster I found a torrent on the STALKER general thread on 4chan. The thing weighs 6 gigs.
I continued a bit and goddamn the Zone is dangerous now. Seriously I almost got killed by a pack of Pseudodogs and ran into 6 boars when I was trying to escape. The Garbage is much much bigger.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP Misery 2.1 Burers Hunt

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. COP Misery 2.1 Jupiter Plant Entry

Soon I'll be ready to go to Pripyat. Maybe I'll complete Misery after all.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I almost got killed by a pack of Pseudodogs
Remind me one of the gameplay from OLR, except there was zombies instead of boars.

I find that adds to the atmosphere of the game.
True, that's why potato translator team got excellent idea of adding lector, instead of hiring bunch of overpriced voice actors stars.

So played some SGM Geonezis....

Traders don't buy your partialy broken weapons but there is solution - trash bin near your chest in Skadowsk. Put some broken weapons, go to mission/artifact hunt and when you get back - get money from that bin.
You gonna need them because weapons and armors loose durability extremly fast.

Went to sawmill to shoot shit, dropped backpack and leaved some stuff. Come back later only to discover that sawmill is swarmed with mercenaries. It was painfunl also because there was no tactical advantage when you make asault or sneak here, because guess what - enemies see you better, even through bushes.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Reason for Lost Alpha not going commerical:
GSC will not allow sales of an addon build because a faulty version will be available for free now?
dezodor replied:
This is how it works. I'm also in the music industry, and labels arent releasing musics officially on vinyl or on beatport if it can be downloaded from the artist's page, or anywhere on the web. It was our fault to trust too many people, however we needed testers, and it was easier to select from those people who we already know for years. This word "know" is also inappropriate, since we never meet in public.

dezodor replied:
We know who leaked it, he wanted to make 1st of April 'joke' - without informing us - and to boost the view count of his site. We asked him several times to take them down because it can turn out bad, but he said he won't, and we should not worry, because the files are passcoded...
lololz expensive April Fools joke.

I don't see them behaving like drama queens.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Reason for Lost Alpha not going commerical:
GSC will not allow sales of an addon build because a faulty version will be available for free now?
dezodor replied:
This is how it works. I'm also in the music industry, and labels arent releasing musics officially on vinyl or on beatport if it can be downloaded from the artist's page, or anywhere on the web. It was our fault to trust too many people, however we needed testers, and it was easier to select from those people who we already know for years. This word "know" is also inappropriate, since we never meet in public.

dezodor replied:
We know who leaked it, he wanted to make 1st of April 'joke' - without informing us - and to boost the view count of his site. We asked him several times to take them down because it can turn out bad, but he said he won't, and we should not worry, because the files are passcoded...
lololz expensive April Fools joke.

I don't see them behaving like drama queens.
Not sure if incline or decline. On one hand, it seems the game will be released earlier this month and what remains of GSC will not get any money out of it or any desire for future raping. OTOH... well, i don't know any advantages of this game going commercial aside from the fact that the devs could gain some money out of years of mostly unpaid work.

Found a picture of another midget: http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/12/11987/thumb_620x2000/ss_xray_03-26-14_17-44-14.jpg

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
imho maybe they should have a donate function on their site. This Lost Alpha thing looks like it's worth a bit of cash, and it's painful to see that they won't get any because some greasy dick spoiled their contract or whatever. Plus the money wouldn't go through GSC. I used to follow STALKER a lot more, but around the time the series's charm mostly wore out for me, I noticed that GSC was going totally insane. As I recall, this isn't the first time they denied payment to a licensed work so late in production.

someone else

Arcane
Patron
imho maybe they should have a donate function on their site. This Lost Alpha thing looks like it's worth a bit of cash, and it's painful to see that they won't get any because some greasy dick spoiled their contract or whatever. Plus the money wouldn't go through GSC. I used to follow STALKER a lot more, but around the time the series's charm mostly wore out for me, I noticed that GSC was going totally insane. As I recall, this isn't the first time they denied payment to a licensed work so late in production.

They do have a donate function on their site.
On Chernobyl disaster 28th anniversary you will get the most recent version of LA. It won't be completely finished as we wanted it to be but at least stable and finishing the game would be possible. This can be called "early access", which means patches, updates will be added in the future. If you feel like supporting us, you can donate on our main webpage, just click on the paypal button in the upper right corner of the screen. All donations will be used for our upcoming project, which we will announce later this year

http://www.dezowave.com/

TripJack

Hedonist
This is how it works. I'm also in the music industry, and labels arent releasing musics officially on vinyl or on beatport if it can be downloaded from the artist's page, or anywhere on the web.
:retarded: wut

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

They do have a donate function on their site.
On Chernobyl disaster 28th anniversary you will get the most recent version of LA. It won't be completely finished as we wanted it to be but at least stable and finishing the game would be possible. This can be called "early access", which means patches, updates will be added in the future. If you feel like supporting us, you can donate on our main webpage, just click on the paypal button in the upper right corner of the screen. All donations will be used for our upcoming project, which we will announce later this year

http://www.dezowave.com/
Oh, that's nice then. I'm, not paying much attention to this shit, so I guess I was prophetic!

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
So let me see if I got this straight; after 5 years of cockteasing us with beautiful screenshots and promises of not only an enchanced graphics and a much better performing engine, we are now getting the equivalent of a tantrum release because someone leaked their beta? And this is causing the game to not be available as a comercial release and stricktly as a mod "as is"
Fucking shame that is
Oh well, please tell us a bit more:
How does the engine run, does it have the same microstutters and 5 second pauses as ShoC?
It looks very nice on the screenshots is is a complete overhaul from the original game, as in brand new textures and possible models?
Is it the same storyline as in ShoC with some new locations, some additional missions or a brand new story?
Would you say it is more like Misery CoP in its enemy placement and survial elements (sort of like a survival horror FPS) or something in between?
Between getting Stick of Truth, Dark Souls 2, this and possible Grimoire seems all my fantasies are becoming true this year, hope LA is good please let it be

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
dezodor replied:
This is how it works. I'm also in the music industry, and labels arent releasing musics officially on vinyl or on beatport if it can be downloaded from the artist's page, or anywhere on the web.

But that's wrong.
I don't have much money right now but I'm definitely giving them some bucks in the near future.

Yeah, I appreciate their effort, and hope LA will be awesome atmospheric survival horror FPS/RPG, but all of this sounds quite fishy to me. Since they started all that talk about making LA an expansion etc. I thought it could end up like Afterfall (only slightly less devalued, since this IS a FPS already, but still).

Anyway I hope for the best, as far as donations go, that's great, but I doubt they get much money, since that paypal donation button has been active for years already...

Not much logic in their - our beta got leaked, so all our plans are null and void and we will release our "unfinished" game because of it - thinking either... :hmmm:

someone else

Arcane
Patron
So let me see if I got this straight; after 5 years of cockteasing us with beautiful screenshots and promises of not only an enchanced graphics and a much better performing engine, we are now getting the equivalent of a tantrum release because someone leaked their beta? And this is causing the game to not be available as a comercial release and stricktly as a mod "as is"

On Chernobyl disaster 28th anniversary you will get the most recent version of LA. It won't be completely finished as we wanted it to be but at least stable and finishing the game would be possible. This can be called "early access", which means patches, updates will be added in the future.

dezodor replied:
the article wasnt proper, and was corrected now. of course we will support the game, since we made it.

You guys might want to talk to them directly.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/news/lost-alpha-update

http://www.dezowave.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=3&sid=51e63de1cd5475beb2f6463f1d0dfddb

Another free Stalker mod for me.

Last edited:

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria

This makes even less sense now. Is this the first case of piracy on the Internet? It's not like HL2 was cancelled because somebody leaked an unfinished product.

This smells like bullshit, maybe GSC wanted to renege on the agreement, if it ever actually existed at all.
Not quite comparable. They had to release Half Life 2 regardless of whether or not it had been leaked because they sunk so much time, money, and resources into developing and advertising it that not releasing it at all would've been a loss so massive it probably would've lead to Valve bankrupting themselves.

The modder brings up the music industry example because record studios put comparatively little money into small-time musicians that they can safely severe any relationship with them if they upload their stuff for free on the internet. Logic behind it being that they probably stand less to lose by just cutting them loose than pouring money into distributing and advertising a product which can just as easily be downloaded for a couple hundred megs at most on the artist's web page, for free, with the artist's permission (so there's no "YOU'RE KILLING THE INDUSTRY!" guilt tripping behind it, as there is with actual piracy).

Personal thoughts on the matter are that they are definitely hiding something, though. Best guess is that GSC's probably been looking for any excuse to terminate the contract for whatever reason, and are just springing on the opportunity. Earlier release date is probably a move to curb any further demand that the leak will bring. They probably intended to release it at a later point this year, possibly even earlier next year, but the leak is forcing them to release earlier since their beta's been leaked would've resulted in fan demand for an earlier release becoming even more deafening.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom