Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Nope, that's the default party of the original PoR Save Game Disk ;)

Oh, all right. I don't think the abandonware version I played before had those.

Now I'm torn between finishing my replay of BG2 and replaying PoR :(

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Why don't they sell the 3 Krynn titles (Champions, Death Knights & Dark Queen )?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Why don't they sell the 3 Krynn titles (Champions, Death Knights & Dark Queen )?

Dragonlance is owned by Weisman&Hicks, I think.
It was not part of the Forgotttrn Realms Archives in the first place either. And besides they are not even set in the FR.

Goblino

Savant
As cool as it is to see these games revived on the market, isn't 25 bucks a bit much for it all?

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
The amount of playtime in these packs is absurd. 25 bucks will keep you (finely) occupied with turn-based goodness for a looooong time.

If I could make a suggestion, however, I would really recommend the Forgotten Realms Archives: Collection II. It only costs $10, and it has the Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness quadrology along with the two Savage Frontier games and most of all the FR Unlimited Adventures kit where you can load and play tons of classic D&D modules made by fans. FRUA with the classic D&D fan modules will probably allow you to play hundreds of quality CRPGing by itself, and the quadrology is one of the most beloved CRPG series of all time. You really can't beat this deal for $10, in case you were too intimidated to attempt to play it when it was abandonware and you had to navigate through DOSBox and cracked versions of the game (of course, I wasn't ... :smug:) .

Goblino

Savant
My point is that nobody who knows about these already would feel too compelled to pay for them, and nobody new to gold box is going to pay money when these are literally some of the easiest games to get for free.

I should also mention that I'm not questioning their inherent value as far as quality and playtime.

rohand

Cipher
GOG does a kind of good job in advertising old games in a "modern" way in their pages, so they may be able to pull off good sales for those packs.

But yeah, I share some of the price vs public willingness to buy it concern you have, but probably all that Digital Premiere stuff advertised in big banners will help - worst case upcoming dnd promos will help solidify their sales.

mondblut

Arcane
Considering how well the Shithanced editions sold, the fact that you can just click and play instead of fiddling with dosbox or mods or torrents is a big draw to a lot of people.

BG and shit were overhyped as fuck. The 1997 newfags spammed the entire internets with "GOTY best gaem evar would buy every year" for a decade and half. Being "spiritual predecessors" to dragon age also didn't harm the sales.

These, OTOH, are only known to a hundred of old farts like ourselves, and we have already played them to death and are generally not inclined to suddenly pay some random guy for the privelege of doing it again.

Mortmal

Arcane
These, OTOH, are only known to a hundred of old farts like ourselves, and we have already played them to death and are generally not inclined to suddenly pay some random guy for the privelege of doing it again.
Seems a few are, every time gog sells any classic title widely available , theres still people on the codex thread brofisting everything , happy to rebuy the same shit , they are beyond salvation.
It shows also those gold box games are not so complex deep and strategical as people remembers them to be as they can enjoy those just fine but "fiddling" with dosbox, is considered too hard .
Thats what cleve was talking about, manboons.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm getting volume 2; back in the day I only played the Krynn series, so I am happy to see this.

I hate blobber combat, so screw volumes 1 and 3.

Anyone tried playing these on an android tablet? I'm going to be traveling until the end of September, so I'm going to load them on to my nexus 10.

Last edited:
Does anyone play these without maxing out all the stats at character creation? I looked at couple of let's plays on youtube and they all seemed to have only 'everything 18' characters.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone play these without maxing out all the stats at character creation? I looked at couple of let's plays on youtube and they all seemed to have only 'everything 18' characters.

Not just max stats, but they also save scum to get max HP, and probably duplicate items as well, judging by the AC of some characters I've seen.
Personally I think that takes the challenge out of the games, but unfortunately the only game to punish you max-maxing is PoR, in which you'll meet larger groups of enemies.
But YouTubers are rarely experts in my experience; for example I watched a Let's Play by DOSBoxMom (cool nic, BTW) and it was painful to watch her move a character and then use the Aim command to attack, instead of just using the much quicker regular movement.

Last edited:

Inspectah

Savant
unfortunately the only game to punish you max-maxing is PoR, in which you'll meet larger groups of enemies
What makes that happen, getting above normal stats?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom