Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Monstrous Bat

Cipher
Who the fuck use smartphone to play DOS games? Keyboard-controlled ones, no less...
:updatedmytxt:

Alchemist

Arcane
Something like the old Droid would be better for DOS emulation - since it has a keyboard:
5bkf017.jpg

I actually tried it with one of these back when I used a Droid. Works reasonably well if you can get the keys mapped correctly.

Servo

Arcane
Who the fuck use smartphone to play DOS games? Keyboard-controlled ones, no less...
:updatedmytxt:

As much as I hate touch devices I would probably try it if I had one. Same goes for GemRB or whatever emulates the Infinity Engine on Android.

Because if you're gonna be stuck on a bus or whatever why not? Beats most mobile "games."

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yeah, I'm only playing GttSF on my iPhone when on the bus. I will be playing Pool of Radiance on my PC as soon as my Forgotten Realms Archives Silver Edition CD/Manual/Code-wheel comes in the mail. <3

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I still need to finish some of the fan-made D&D adventure paths built for the FRUA system. I'd like to do another Let's Play of them, but I don't have enough time to keep do a decent LP at this time.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Yeah, I'm only playing GttSF on my iPhone when on the bus. I will be playing Pool of Radiance on my PC as soon as my Forgotten Realms Archives Silver Edition CD/Manual/Code-wheel comes in the mail. <3
You should play the Krynn trilogy in MT-32 mode :M

Kirben

Novice
You should play the Krynn trilogy in MT-32 mode :M

Do those game have an actual MIDI music option? I don't remember that.
Champions of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn offered Roland support for music, but not Death Knights of Krynn for some strange reason.

Buck Rodgers: Matrix Cubed was the only other Gold Box game to offer Roland support, a shame SSI didn't offer MIDI support in more titles.

Thanks dude! I finally was able to do a quick search, and looking at that EBay item, that company Slash Corporation did indeed sell CD versions of some D&D games. So I bought that copy, thanks! :D
Np. I, too, am also constantly looking for CD releases of my favourite oldies, as they are so much easier to back up than floppies (especially 5.52 ones).

Champions of Krynn and Dark Queen of Krynn offered Roland support for music, but not Death Knights of Krynn for some strange reason.
Yup, it's weird. I also remember the Magic Candle series to be similar in that regard, where MC2 had Roland support, yet none of the subsequent games (Neither MC3 nor Bloodstone) did. Always a shame.

eXalted

Arcane
Do you recommend some of the SSI games for someone like me who have never played them in the past?

I mean, there won't be that nostalgia feel that will empower my playthrough. I really dig how they look. Is the interface super unintuitive?

Revenant

Play Dark Sun: Shattered Lands if you want an SSI game with an intuitive interface. As for GoldBoxes, their interfaces are intuitive to the extent that you don't need to refer to the manual for controls, as command words have a bold first letter to indicate the corresponding keypress.

As for which game to start with, it's definitely Pool of Radiance. Although other GoldBoxes have a slightly more streamlined interface, you shouldn't miss the original experience.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
My Forgotten Realms Archives Silver CD and Manual and code-wheels came in the mail yesterday. Playing Pool of Radiance. Never played with the Tandy sounds on before. Much better than the PC beeps and boops. :D

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
How did you get them working?

I use D Fend Reloaded (which is currently down due to some sourceforge problem at the moment?).

In the POOLS.CFG change the second line to a T

In D Fend Reloaded under the SOUND tab, in the Tandy Speaker section, check the On option (just setting it to Auto did nothing, but selecting the On worked for me).

(If you are managing DOSBox manually, in the DOSBox.conf file, just locate the [speaker] section and change tandy=auto to tandy=on)

Enjoy your THREE TONE sounds in Pool of Radiance!

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
In D Fend Reloaded under the SOUND tab, in the Tandy Speaker section, check the On option (just setting it to Auto did nothing, but selecting the On worked for me).
Auto means that it will turn on Tandy sound if you have machine=tandy, not otherwise. I don't recommend it because there are almost no cases in which you'd want tandy graphics, but plenty of cases in which you'd want tandy sound with VGA graphics.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Auto means that it will turn on Tandy sound if you have machine=tandy, not otherwise. I don't recommend it because there are almost no cases in which you'd want tandy graphics, but plenty of cases in which you'd want tandy sound with VGA graphics.

Thanks! I had forgotten what the AUTO for that option meant. Yeah, there is not really (any?) reason to use Tandy graphics for a game.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
JFC! Been playing Gateway to the Savage Frontier, and I'm at the Gallant Prince Ghoul and Mage battle. FFS! This version of the Gold Box has the fucking buggy if you charm an enemy, but then attack them YOUR FOLLOWERS WILL NOW ATTACK YOU, AND YOU CAN'T END COMBAT UNLESS YOU KILL OR CHARM THEM.

:x

I should just kill the fucking asshole and just drag his corpse around (I don't think there is a check to see if an NPC is dead, for conversation in this version of the Gold Box).

Grathanich

Novice
I remember being unable to progress in Dark Queen of Krynn in the caves of the dragons. I used a hex editor on my Amiga 500 to search the coordinates of the party. I found them, increased one of them by one, failed, tried the other and I was inside the room with the vorpal sword! Another very fond memory of mine includes using technical drawing paper to map the Secret of the Silver Blades. Since there was no Internet or another way to purchase the game in Turkey in 1995, the game was a pirated copy and did not include the journals.
To be honest, I think even killing dragons in Skyrim in fully modded HD look with Requiem/Perma or whatever mods does not provide the same level of satisfaction when I got that silver armor set in SotSB as a teenager.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I compared that site with the PoR Clue Book entry for the Slums, the Clue Book gives more precise instructions on where to find the magic treasure, but the site gives more info and number-crunching on what you'll find or is your best course of action in certain encounters.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
So I have been messing around in Pool of Radiance, and I have cleared all the slums except for the FUCKING TROLL BATTLE. I kept re-loading and trying different tactics, but to no avail. I kept thinking "How in the fuck is a FIRST level party supposed to do this F^%$#@ battle????"

I then happened to just look at the stats of one of my clerics. They (and the rest of the party) have a ton of XP to go up a level or two. :M

I keep forgetting this first version of the Gold Box Games has built in MORAN detectors.

Also when doing some search on Pool of Radiance and some other stuff, I found out both Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds have a command option to turn the password check off.

When running Pool, just type start STING (this command must be all caps).

When running Curse, just type start STING Wooden (this must be typed like this exactly).

They never added these commands to other gold box games, so these are the only two I know of.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom