Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Servo

Arcane
In PoR when you approach a locked door and are given the option to bash or pick, should I made sure my thief is selected before I attempt to pick it?

Also wtf is this?

40265_full.jpg

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
In PoR when you approach a locked door and are given the option to bash or pick, should I made sure my thief is selected before I attempt to pick it?

Yes. What ever selection you choose (BASH, PICK, KNOCK), it will select the CURRENTLY SELECTED character and then check for the appropriate skill (or spell in the case of the KNOCK option). If you have your fighter currently selected, and choose PICK it is not going to work.

Renevent

Cipher
you win. hence the explanation. magazines at the time didnt always refer to to the engine, and dark sun was described as the new "gold box game" despite using a new engine. other non gold box games by ssi came in gold boxes. didnt fact check thoroughly before posting

I thought the same thing when I was younger as well. Besides Darksun I always considered Hillsfar part of the gold box series since the box was kinda similar, was made by the same folks, and hell, you could even import your characters from PoR into it.

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Couldn't find an image of an entire area like this so I made one.

JgsbGqY.png

Last edited:

Servo

Arcane
Have you ever wondered what one of those areas would look like on a flat battlemap? Well I have, because I've been trying to figure out how to generate it algorithmically for a super SEKRET project.

5LBflst.png

xZAv513.png

Paste in Gridmapper:

Code:
(72,0)ff
                         ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  ffffffffffffffffffffffff
                      f  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  fffffffffffffffffffffff
                     ff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  ffffffffffffffffffffff
                    fff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  fffffffffffffffffffff
                                           ffff  fffff
                   ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  fffffffffffff
                   ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffffff
                f  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  fffffffffff
               ff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff
                                     ffff   ff    ff    ff   fff
             ffffffffffffffffffffff  ffff  ffffffffffffffff  ff
            fffffffffffffffffffffff  ffff  ffffffffffffffff  f
           ffffffffffffffffffffffff  ffff  ffffffffffffffff
          fffffffffffffffffffffffff  ffff  ffffffffffffffff
                                      ff  ffffff        ff
        fff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  fffffffff
       ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  ffffffff
       ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  fffffff
       ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffffffffff  ffffff

ff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff
  fff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  fff
ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ff
ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  ffff  f

rezaf

Cipher
Your area showcases how the approach falls apart a bit when starting a battle near the edge of the map, but I always thought it was cool how the battlefields were based on the actual layout of the level map.

If you want it to be a 2D battlefield, I have to wonder why you don't use the exactly same approach and thus generate a well laid out 2D map based on the level geometry?

Null Null

Arbiter
Just 'cause I'm a noob myself, and perhaps a little too sympathetic:

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was an attempt to cash in on the reputation of the original by making a sequel. It was notorious for its many bugs, and it was actually possible to reformat your hard disk by doing the wrong thing when installing or uninstalling it.

Given the contrast between a game that effectively spawned 11 sequels and a game that would destroy your computer, not to mention the nostalgic feelings people tend to have about their favorite games from childhood/adolescence (I can still tell you which dungeons are on each of the 8 Pool of Radiance disks), you can understand why emotions are little...heated. It's a lot like the way G1 Transformers fans feel about Michael Bay's live-action movies, or 80s/90s TMNT fans feel about... Michael Bay's TMNT movie.

Null Null

Arbiter
BTW, anyone notice that the wheel, in 1988, contains the string 'GOOGLE', 8 years before the origin of the famous search engine as a project in 1996?

I think we need to buy stock in the next company called 'AXEIAX'.

Servo

Arcane
Your area showcases how the approach falls apart a bit when starting a battle near the edge of the map, but I always thought it was cool how the battlefields were based on the actual layout of the level map.

If you want it to be a 2D battlefield, I have to wonder why you don't use the exactly same approach and thus generate a well laid out 2D map based on the level geometry?

Well, I want to reproduce that area exactly. I can't tell if any of those rooms around the perimeter even exist based on the layout of the level map alone.

gg pointing out that the battlefield is based off of the level map though. It had crossed my mind but due to the aforementioned problem I wasn't sure.

Null Null

Arbiter
Think I should clarify: the forest of 1x1 squares to the left of the combat does not, in fact, represent actual locations in Pool of Radiance. The trolls and ogres tossing things fight occurs at the western edge of the Slums map, and that's how the primitive GB engine renders 'out of bounds' areas--fight on the edge of any Gold Box map and you'll notice the same thing.

If you want to be 'true to canon', an alternative might be to look up the map for Kuto's Well (which adjoins the Slums on the left) and use that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just a FYI to those of you that have a iPhone, you CAN play DOSBox games on it. Article here: http://ultimacodex.com/2014/11/dosb...-app-store-and-i-have-ultima-6-running-in-it/

If you need help, let me know. I got Gateway to the Savage Frontier working on it just fine for me. <3

Also wondering, did FRUA ever come out on a CD? I don't believe it ever did, and was only in a box, with 3 floppies and a manual. Just wondering if anyone possibly might know more.

Also wondering, did FRUA ever come out on a CD? I don't believe it ever did, and was only in a box, with 3 floppies and a manual. Just wondering if anyone possibly might know more.

It definitely did, though I don't know if it came as a fully boxed release + manual or CD-only (as part of a compilation, cover mount, or something similar). For reference, here is a link to a loose disc that is for sale on ebay right now.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

It definitely did, though I don't know if it came as a fully boxed release + manual or CD-only (as part of a compilation, cover mount, or something similar). For reference, here is a link to a loose disc that is for sale on ebay right now.

Thanks dude! I finally was able to do a quick search, and looking at that EBay item, that company Slash Corporation did indeed sell CD versions of some D&D games. So I bought that copy, thanks! :D

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom