Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

nwnmemes

Novice
Codex USB, 2014
I kept it and have it in good condition, I dunno what youre taking about... :retarded:

Luzur

Good Sir
I kept it and have it in good condition, I dunno what youre taking about... :retarded:

thing is though, thats just the Rulebook and the ads you got in the box, where is the rest of it?

"Where is the rest of your platoon, Steiner?!"

When you post gamebox pics you do it like this:

11759.jpg

Dorateen

Arcane
As I look upon the rows of boxes displayed like that, I'm struck by how many women were featured prominently on the SSI covers.

What was all that controversy about not enough female representation in the gaming industry?

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
the covers with hot chicks and cleavages, and/or a cool dudes riding horsies, was a staple of the goldboxes.
the exception would be PoR.

The only disk versions I have are Champions of Krynn and Death Knights of Krynn (EoTB 2 too, but that isn't Gold Box). I really wanted more but it was a tough monetary choice. I remember several years later seeing the bundled versions of non-Gold Box AD&D games and being ecstatic. Half a decade later, I got one large, mostly gold box, collection bundle. CoK and DKK were not in the packs so I lucked out on those choices.

Al-Qadim: The Genie's Curse
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager
Menzoberranzan
Ravenloft: Stone Prophet
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession

Eye of the Beholder I
Eye of the Beholder II
Eye of the Beholder III

Curse of the Azure Bonds
Gateway to the Savage Frontier
Hillsfar
Pools of Darkness
Pool of Radiance
Secret of the Silver Blades
Treasures of the Savage Frontier

Dungeon Hack
Menzoberranzan
Blood & Magic
A 2 Chapter Baldur's Gate Demo

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've got all the fantasy GB games myself, but in retrospect I'm rather miffed that my versions of CoK and CoAB came in smaller and cheaper boxes thanks to UK importer US Gold.

Luzur

Good Sir
As I look upon the rows of boxes displayed like that, I'm struck by how many women were featured prominently on the SSI covers.

What was all that controversy about not enough female representation in the gaming industry?

Bro, it was the 80's, no feminism back then.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert

None of the GB box arts was specifically made for them, they were already published in fantasy catalogues and in D&D rulebooks and campaign settings and so on. TSR just picked what they wanted.

Null Null

Arbiter

They had it, it was taking a break between the second wave in the 70s and third wave in the 90s and onward. It's gotten worse lately though. On the other hand, there are female nerds now.

It was kind of funny how Treasures had romances for both male and female characters...game was ahead of its time. It was a nuisance, though...you better make sure that character isn't anything but a fighter, 'cause if they go nuts in combat after their lover dies they're useless.

Luzur

Good Sir

They had it, it was taking a break between the second wave in the 70s and third wave in the 90s and onward. It's gotten worse lately though. On the other hand, there are female nerds now.

It was kind of funny how Treasures had romances for both male and female characters...game was ahead of its time. It was a nuisance, though...you better make sure that character isn't anything but a fighter, 'cause if they go nuts in combat after their lover dies they're useless.

Well it existed of course, but in no way near it current levels of today nor had it reached the gaming industry by this time.

Null Null

Arbiter
Sorry. New here.

Hey, I'm thinking of doing a Champions-to-Dark-Queen run with a single party. Any suggestions? I remember a single-class mage being really useful in Dark Queen of Krynn due to the higher level overriding the draconians' magic resistance, but you need a lot of fighter power in Death Knights because of the skel warriors.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My own favoured party, with as much power as possible with as many races as possible included would be this:

Human Knight
Dwarf Fighter
Kender Cleric/Thief
Human White Mage (Fireballs ASAP and as much damage as possible. And being Human rather than Elf he can be brought back from the dead)
Qualinesti Fighter/Red Mage
Silvanesti Cleric/Ranger

A backstabbing Kender Cleric/Thief with a magic Hoopak, Enlarged, and ideally also Hasted, is a good tactic against those nasty skellies.
Dwarf Fighter with 19 CON is the ultimate Dragonlance wielder.
Human Knight is essential due to the quest(s) they get, their leadership ability and, at higher levels, support clerical spells.
Fighter/Mage is probably the most powerful class combo in the Krynn games.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
Hey, I'm thinking of doing a Champions-to-Dark-Queen run with a single party. Any suggestions?

Take a knight. They can give you control of the NPCs who sometimes join you, which is pretty useful.

Take two clerics (they don't need to be single-classed). Healing potions are almost nowhere to be found and resting only cures 1 HP per day, so you need healing spells (and you need two clerics in case one of them is knocked out during a fight). Mishakal is probably the best choice as far as deities are concerned.

Thieves are almost only useful for their backstab ability. It's quite powerful, but (in my opinion) you don't get to use it as often as you'd think.

Take at least two wizards, one red and one white. At least one of the wizards should be single-classed.

Pay attention to the level caps of the non-human races you choose. They're not as awfully low as in the Forgotten Realms series, but they can be a real problem in the third game.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
A thief is great if you properly use them in combat, but otherwise the non-combat skills are not used at all in the Dragonlance Gold Box games. You could drop a thief entirely if you wanted to without much of an impact at all, then go with three knights, one fighter/cleric, and a white mage and red mage. This would give you a strong front line and two arcane magic-users. Either dual-class a fighter right away to cleric so that you can eventually enjoy a cleric who can use edge weapons and a shield, or maybe go with two fighter/cleric multi-class combos and just two knights. The nice thing about knights is that they eventually can cast low level healing spells at higher levels to help back-up the cleric.

TigerKnee

Arcane
I thought Dualing didn't exist in Dragonlance games... because the space where the "Dual-class" option would be is instead replaced with Knight Promotion... is my memory faulty?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I thought Dualing didn't exist in Dragonlance games... because the space where the "Dual-class" option would be is instead replaced with Knight Promotion... is my memory faulty?

No, you are correct. No dual-classing, only multi-classing allowed. On the bright side some of the demihumans are actually useful.
Dwarves can reach max level as Fighters.
Elves can reach max level as Mages, Clerics and Rangers. Alas Ranger/Mages are not allowed.
Qualinesti Elves can reach lvl 14 as Fighters, so excellent as Figher/Mages.
Half-Elves are useless (unless your name is Tanis). They can get max level in Cleric and Thief, but both are rather useless as single class, and as a combo you will not be able to backstab, so a useless combo unless the character is a Kender, IMO.

Incidentally Knights can eventually cast lvl 7 clerical spells, so they are very powerful, and much more useful than Paladins that can never cast spells higher than lvl 4. Paladin is an option in the Krynn games, but personally I feel that they don't fit in (never saw any mention of paladins in the Dragonlance books, for example), and Knights make them largely redundant anyway.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
(never saw any mention of paladins in the Dragonlance books, for example), and Knights make them largely redundant anyway.

You're right, they weren't mentioned in the books. But it is interesting that in the annotated Dragonlance Chronicles, when Margaret Weis talks about the Sturm character, she references him as saying "he was our paladin". Like you said, the Knights of Solomnia essentially filled this role in the setting.

I'm pretty sure that there are locks that can be picked (of course knock works great) like the city with undead beasts roaming around. Eye of the Beholder and its like also had lock picking as mostly worthless as with Darksun games.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone get the gold box companion to work on windows 7 64bit? I get the error that says characters not found, please increase your address search size. Not sure how to do that, when I try I get an error stating invalid memory address. I googled how to find what values to use and didn't come up with anything there either. The values look like this

Start - #A000000
End- #F000000

I tried ending at #Z000000, but that's not a valid memory address.

Trying to run secret of the silver blades and I thought using this tools automap would be handy. I don't want to use the cluebooks as they take away the feeling of discovery. This being said for those that have used it, Is the mapping tool any good?

http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jhirvonen/gbc/

Joonas

Arcane
Developer
The address range is given in hexadecimal numbers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal). You could try $4000000 as start and $F000000 as end address (these should be the default values). I haven't got 64-bit Windows7 so I can't test it.

The "automap" just shows the map fully discovered so it's not updated as you move. There are no maps for Silver Blades in Gold Box Companion. Gold Box games use the same 16x16 map grid to represent also bigger maps (you're sort of teleported around the 16x16 map to form bigger maps like the mines in Silver Blades). This makes any kind of automap very difficult to make.

Saxon1974

Prophet
Those values don't work for me. Oh well no worries doesn't sound like the map does what I want anyway. Thanks

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom