Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gold Box SSI's Gold Box Series Thread

What are your favorite Gold Box games?

• Pool of Radiance

• Curse of the Azure Bonds

• Secret of the Silver Blades

• Pools of Darkness

• Champions of Krynn

• Death Knights of Krynn

• The Dark Queen of Krynn

• Gateway to the Savage Frontier

• Treasures of the Savage Frontier

• Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday

• Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed

• Forgotten Realms: Unlimited Adventures (FRUA)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Servo

Arcane
Find your nearest Trainer in Phlan, enter and then:
"(A)dd new character to party" as an option should be available to you.

o ya I remember reading that now. Thanks :)

Servo

Arcane
Do you guys use tandy sound? It sounds better than PC speakers to me, but am I supposed to be riding a horse?

Does anyone recommend tandy graphics/monitor/video mode or whatever? It seems to load faster initially but I haven't noticed any other differences between it and EGA.

Alchemist

Arcane
Does anyone recommend tandy graphics/monitor/video mode or whatever? It seems to load faster initially but I haven't noticed any other differences between it and EGA.
Tandy graphics look identical to EGA if I recall correctly. They both use the same 16-color palette.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Do you guys use tandy sound? It sounds better than PC speakers to me, but am I supposed to be riding a horse?

It's because you are being followed around by this guy:

monty-python-holy-grail-coconuts.jpg

If you are just starting out and can get your hands on an Amiga emulator you may want to give that version a go instead. I have heard that the graphics and sound are superior than those of the PC versions.

mondblut

Arcane
If you are just starting out and can get your hands on an Amiga emulator you may want to give that version a go instead. I have heard that the graphics and sound are superior than those of the PC versions.

They are for most of the earlier titles, but then you'll have to play the complete series arcs on that platform if you want character transfer, and I am not even sure they are present on Amiga in their entirety.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

They are for most of the earlier titles, but then you'll have to play the complete series arcs on that platform if you want character transfer, and I am not even sure they are present on Amiga in their entirety.

Only the second Buck Rogers game didn't get an Amiga release.

Servo

Arcane

Borders look a bit nicer unless you prefer the ornate style of DOS, but portraits look way better:

32703-pool-of-radiance-amiga-screenshot-character-generations.gif

10474-pool-of-radiance-dos-screenshot-character-status-screens.gif

Combat otoh looks almost identical except for borders:

82892-pool-of-radiance-amiga-screenshot-on-the-battlefields.png

10476-pool-of-radiance-dos-screenshot-did-they-all-have-the-same.gif

Think I'll stick with DOS though. It's not worth the trouble of finding and setting up an Amiga emulator.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I've never ever tried the Tandy video setting. I actually like that better (The portraits rock). Looks like FRUA artwork.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Tandy sound is better. IIRC it uses 3 speaker channels whereas regular PC speaker only uses one. I always have Tandy mode in DOSBox on, and always choose the Tandy mode in games. If the game doesn't support it, it'll sound exactly the same anyway. Some of the Gold Box games do sound much better in Tandy, as does IIRC Sentinel Worlds, some of the older Sierra games (Manhunter I think was one that sounded very different).

I don't think Tandy video and EGA look any different, I've never noticed a difference in DOSBox at least. I usually stick to EGA.

Servo

Arcane
It's okay, you were distracted by my astonishingly good looks.

:australia:

Kidding... more like

:avatard:

Servo

Arcane
I'm confused. Everyone in my party is unconscious but we're still walking around town. After we got our asses whooped in a bar fight we got experience and treasure. What... is... happenin...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I'm confused. Everyone in my party is unconscious but we're still walking around town. After we got our asses whooped in a bar fight we got experience and treasure. What... is... happenin...

When monsters defeat the whole party they kill the party. When guards defeat the party they leave them unconscious.

Servo

Arcane

When monsters defeat the whole party they kill the party. When guards defeat the party they leave them unconscious.

Oh, ok. That doesn't really explain why I can walk around unconscious but good to know.

dragonbait

Augur
Oh, ok. That doesn't really explain why I can walk around unconscious but good to know.

The guards in Phlan get bored with having to keep all the drunkards in the supposedly civilized section of town in line, so occasionally when they get their hands on some magic potions from Ohlo, they get their kicks by injecting their victims with the funky liquid which often causes sleepwalking in the unconscious. This sometimes causes panic when the clerics at the temple find out about the "walking zombies" strolling about the city, much to the amusement of the guards. Or something like that.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Pool of Radiance: If you use the thief "Restal" in Cadorna Textile House to open and re-seal the lock on the treasure, you can get the loot more than once! If you leave the Cadorna Block and re-enter, and visit Restal again, you can get the money and Gauntlets of Ogre Power again and again and again. So you could have an infinite number of Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Not sure if actually true.....

If so, that is one hell of a bug.... :M

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pool of Radiance: If you use the thief "Restal" in Cadorna Textile House to open and re-seal the lock on the treasure, you can get the loot more than once! If you leave the Cadorna Block and re-enter, and visit Restal again, you can get the money and Gauntlets of Ogre Power again and again and again. So you could have an infinite number of Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

Not sure if actually true.....

If so, that is one hell of a bug.... :M

Those who would take advantage of this bug are the same players who just max out their characters' STR to 18(00) in the first place.

Dorateen

Arcane
Has Servo posted information about his party? Besides being half the fun in reading about other people's experience, it can also be rather insightful about how much enjoyment or frustration one is getting out of the game.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh my, with all the D&D nostalgia I decided to dig up my old Goldboxes and set them all up with the D fend program Jaesun suggested and boy is it just sweet, the templates make things so much easier (still having issues with the Tandy sound not playing effects) and having a handy link to all the games is blessing for my cluttered desktop
Now if I handt lost almost all my Adventure's Journals...

Null Null

Arbiter
Re lost journals: You can download that stuff online. Google 'Pools of Darkness adventurers journal pdf' or what have you.

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yup Null Null, I only wished I had been a little more carefull with those; I hate having to play in windowed mode
Just wish these would be updated in gog like Wasteland did with the journal entries beign added to the game itself

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom