Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SSI Forgotten Realms RPGs released on GOG

Dorateen

Arcane
Since we have so many Pool of Radiance fans here, I still need someone to write a review of the series for the book... it's quite hard to find people who played from Pool of Radiance to Pool of Darkness...

Have you had any offer on this yet? I've begun a draft of something that would serve as a review and highlight the significance of these games as part of an overarching four volume saga. If you are still in need, I'll continue and send you when I'm done, to see if it can be of any use.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Have you had any offer on this yet? I've begun a draft of something that would serve as a review and highlight the significance of these games as part of an overarching four volume saga. If you are still in need, I'll continue and send you when I'm done, to see if it can be of any use.
No offers, so please do your best. :)

BTW, it should be about 5000 characters / 900 words long.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
One cannot review the majesty of Pool of Radiance in a mere 900 words.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
I began remembering scenes from the game... the auction! the maze! assaulting the gate with the Ettins! I must play it again...

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yo bros, Dorateen and I are finishing the Pool of Radiance review, I think we could use some input.

Here's the work in progress page, images and descriptions still being worked on:

1WzMl7X.png

Looks good, just a few remarks:

• "... EA and SSI were the final bidders, with SSI winning with a broad plan..." - The two 'with' so close after each other seem awkward. I'd end the first after 'bidders', then begin a new one with "SSI won with a broad..."

• 'Gold Box titles' - Doesn't seem right to not emphasize that in any way; I would suggest double quotation marks (aka "so-called").

• The criticism re. Secret of the Silver Blades seems a bit weird. I realize you ran into the character limit here, but it mostly says "So this game is the worst because you reach high levels and beat up a lot of monsters." Does not seem very convincing to me, especially if I try to put myself in the shoes of an uninformed reader. Doubly so considering that you talk about PoD's "epic levels of power" in the second image caption (suggesting that this is not a negative).

Dorateen

Arcane
Looks good, just a few remarks:

• The criticism re. Secret of the Silver Blades seems a bit weird. I realize you ran into the character limit here, but it mostly says "So this game is the worst because you reach high levels and beat up a lot of monsters." Does not seem very convincing to me, especially if I try to put myself in the shoes of an uninformed reader. Doubly so considering that you talk about PoD's "epic levels of power" in the second image caption (suggesting that this is not a negative).

I'd like to clarify since these remarks were mine. The criticism I have of SotSB is not so much the high level monster slaying, but rather the adventure did not feel as open and varied as the previous games. This is alluded to in the preceding paragraph about the lack of the overland map. Also, I consider Silver Blades weak within the context of the other Moonsea volumes, as well as the other Gold Box games. But even then, I would still consider it better than a lot of today's streamlined, modern or cinematic "cRPGs".

In one of the drafts, I did acknowledge its massive level design, and the dungeons and puzzles (riddles) that helped keep things interesting. Also, that D&D players would appreciate the final antagonist, a classic evil creature making its appearance in a Gold Box game for the first time.

Last edited:

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Looks good overall, I'd say. Please fix the typo in one of the game names.

Find it yourself if you like games... or check below:
In the screenshot caption on the upper-right, tt is Curse of the Azure Bonds, not Bounds

I know what you were trying to say - your view seems pretty spot on re. the Codex consensus and I would have been surprised had it been different.

I wasn't talking about Secret's qualities (or the lack thereof) here but was instead trying to read the review from a neutral (i.e., non-codexian) perspective.

And what I'm trying to say is that from that standpoint, the point as to why Secrets is bad/the worst doesn't really come through. The paragraph about the lack of overland map reads rather neutral and all the reader is left with is the sentence about epic levels and killing monsters after the Blades=bad statement.

Since you have very little space, you might want to use a more negative tone/emphasis from the very beginning and try to form an argument of sorts, i.e., "Secrets lacks this 'n that, they also changed this, and together with this other issue right here Blades is often considered the weakest in the Gold Box series." or something like that.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Good read, but I wanted to read more about Pool of Radiance. I know it may be late, but I think there should be a two-page review exclusively about Pool of Radiance, and another page long entry about its sequels.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Good read, but I wanted to read more about Pool of Radiance. I know it may be late, but I think there should be a two-page review exclusively about Pool of Radiance, and another page long entry about its sequels.
I can understand, but I must keep a manageable page count, or else can't print it later. Besides, wanna know more, play teh fucking game, which is kind of the purpose of the book. To entice, not to replace.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Every time I see a screenshot of Gold Box combat, even if I just saw one yesterday, I am struck anew by how fantastic the art was. The encounter art in the later games especially is pretty amazing too.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Every time I see a screenshot of Gold Box combat, even if I just saw one yesterday, I am struck anew by how fantastic the art was. The encounter art in the later games especially is pretty amazing too."

Kididn' right. The GB art and graphics is uglyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I'm almost sure you could import the NPCs from one game as PCs into the next game, IIRC EOB2 chose the first 4 character slots of your EOB1 save without even asking you and that was your starting party. EOB3 let you choose who you were bringing over in case some of your original PCs were in the back row.

True, except you got it the wrong way around. EOB2 lets you pick which party 4 party members (of 6) you transfer over, while EOB3 could only take the front 4 party members.

I've yet to take a good glance at the EOB games in this release, but already I can confirm that EOB3 uses the AESOP32 fix that was put together over at the Vogons forums, meaning smooth gameplay on par with the other two. (Whether they're running the rare 1.1 version I've yet to say.)

(Whether they're running the rare 1.1 version I've yet to say.)
Interesting, do you have any more details on that? I always thought the AESOP32 update was supposed to be the eventual patch (which never manifested) - you mean there was one before that?

Btw I wonder if GOG managed to fix the issue of EOB3 producing annoying audio pops on any DOSBox version after 0.73. I did the AESOP32 upgrade on my copy some time ago already and had to use a 0.72 SVN-build to get it running with MUNT and no audio popping.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sadly I don't have much more info than that. I have the 1.1 running myself, and the only noticeable change I saw was a minor increase in performance - you could think of it as a "lite" version of the AESOP32 patch.

As for the audio pops - it's been a while, but I recall that I had to downgrade to 0.73 for those to go away.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom