Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News SSI Forgotten Realms RPGs released on GOG

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Tis a glorious day for D&D games!

Sure, you can pirate anything out there - but buying the type of games you want to see sends a message. Buying these shows publishers / developers that there is still a market for these types of games - and it might lead to new ones being developed in this style. Maybe WotC / Hasbro will see how well these sell and make a new Gold-Box-style CRPG and not the watered down action-RPG pablum like Sword Coast Legends.
Do you seriously believe that "show there's a market for this type of game" is a thing? All the goldbox fans on earth are still too few people for a company to bother.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Steam or GTFO. I can't get an achievement for killing Tyranthraxus on some shitty DRM free version.

Dorateen

Arcane
You cannot kill that which does not die. Some of the finest computer role-playing games, ever. Will be worth it to run some of these on windows instead of needing DOS box emulators.

Alchemist

Arcane
Do you seriously believe that "show there's a market for this type of game" is a thing? All the goldbox fans on earth are still too few people for a company to bother.
Yes I do, else I wouldn't have said so. It's a small niche market compared to AAA, but it's there, and it's under-served.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Two random thoughts:

(1) It is weird to me to see these games digitally bundled because I bought many of them on a CD bundle like 20+ years ago -- even back then, I tended to treat bundled games as shovelware and never really did take Dungeon Hack (for instance) as seriously as maybe I should've.

(2) Now that Unlimited Adventures is broadly and legally available, isn't the solution to a lack of Gold Box games simply that people should use FRUA to make more of them? It's been a long time since I used FRUA, but with all the hacks and so on that were released for it, it seems like a pretty solid engine for making new games in this style. [Or is the issue that there is no way to sell them?]

Alchemist

Arcane
(1) It is weird to me to see these games digitally bundled because I bought many of them on a CD bundle like 20+ years ago -- even back then, I tended to treat bundled games as shovelware and never really did take Dungeon Hack (for instance) as seriously as maybe I should've.
Dungeon Hack is basically just a roguelike using the Eye of the Beholder engine, with no party. If you like roguelikes and AD&D mechanics, it's enjoyable.

Mortmal

Arcane
they were available already, in fact they were free

fucking krynn is still freely available too, why are you so eager to pay for them on gog?

This a very useful thread , you can already brand people excited by this as lazy ,morons , sheep, as the games were always available on abandonware sites . This requires so little effort to run dos box, its so trivial and well explained , you can only be a moron. If you are really interested in those games you would have done it already by now.
Hopefully this wont be removed from said sites.
Now a boxed reedition with all goodies that could be exciting.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yes I do, or I wouldn't have said so. It's a small niche market compared to AAA, but it's there, and it's under-served.
There's a market for the kind of passionate developers who are ok with having as a best case scenario the modest money from sales being possibly enough to work full-time developing CRPGs because they love it. It's not something worth pursuing as a business.

Works on: Windows (XP, Vista, 7, 8, 10). I'm talking about not needing fiddling with an emulator. Or am I misunderstanding how these Gog releases would run? It's a matter of convenience.
It's just bundled and "pre-configured" dosbox. You'll probably still need to fiddle with emulator because looking at screenshots it doesn't seem like they fix things like aspect ratio.

such a defeatist attitude is unfitting for a:ehue:

Steam or GTFO. I can't get an achievement for killing Tyranthraxus on some shitty DRM free version.

Doesn't GOG Galaxy (GOGALAXY?) have cheevos? I think they said they were gonna implement those.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Mostly its just an issue of the fact that if I play them in GOG Galaxy everyone will see play games like this.

Not that anyone will actually look (or care if they saw them), but you know, in my mind.

Alchemist

Arcane
There's a market for the kind of passionate developers who are ok with having as a best case scenario the modest money from sales being possibly enough to work full-time developing CRPGs because they love it. It's not something worth pursuing as a business.
I know I could spend 5 pages debating it and still not convince you. But the fact is, there is no modern released game that properly replicates the D&D ruleset, in the way the Gold Box games did for 1E. That opportunity is wide open. I believe if a studio did that, with decent modern production values and modern UI, they could make a good business of it. Even better if they make it a moddable toolkit. They could even use 5E for the broader appeal that brings. I just want D&D done right, and I know a lot of other people do too.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Will be worth it to run some of these on windows instead of needing DOS box emulators.
:retarded:
Except that most old GOG titles RUN ON DOSBOX!

They just gave you an installation wrapper and a desktop shortcut...

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
:retarded:
Except that most old GOG titles RUN ON DOSBOX!

They just gave you an installation wrapper and a desktop shortcut...

I never used DOSBOX, because all of these old titles, I played on DOS, as in when they were actually released. I've never as of yet purchased anything from GOG. At the moment, I own all of 2 games on Steam. So cut me some friggin' slack!

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I never used DOSBOX, because all of these old titles, I played on DOS, as in when they were actually released. I've never as of yet purchased anything from GOG. At the moment, I own all of 2 games on Steam. So cut me some friggin' slack!
Really? What's the last "Good Ol' Game" you've played and how long ago? I'd go into withdrawl-like symptoms if I couldn't boot up System Shock, Ultima VII, Ultima Underworld, Might & Magic WoX, etc. at least every few years!

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
I know I could spend 5 pages debating it and still not convince you. But the fact is, there is no modern released game that properly replicates the D&D ruleset, in the way the Gold Box games did for 1E. That opportunity is wide open. I believe if a studio did that, with decent modern production values and modern UI, they could make a good business of it. Even better if they make it a moddable toolkit. They could even use 5E for the broader appeal that brings. I just want D&D done right, and I know a lot of other people do too.
I think there's way less people interested in golden age CRPGs than you seem to believe. I'd like to be wrong but I don't see the viability for a real game dev studio.

With modern production values and the necessary concessions, D&D license, Modding...Sword Coast Legends is what you end up with.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think there's way less people interested in golden age CRPGs than you seem to believe. I'd like to be wrong but I don't see the viability for a real game dev studio.

With modern production values and the necessary concessions, D&D license, Modding...Sword Coast Legends is what you end up with.
What would be cool would be GOG teaming/hiring/whatever with the TSI guys and making a real Gold Box successor. Yeah, wistful thinking but that would be cool...

Dorateen

Arcane
Really? What's the last "Good Ol' Game" you've played and how long ago?

Elminage Gothic, which is an early- Wizardry-like I just finished last month. I'm pretty discerning in that I am not looking to revisit the older games I played in the past, but rather seek new endeavors, which strive to replicate those design principles of yore, as closely as possible in this day and age.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
What would be cool would be GOG teaming/hiring/whatever with the TSI guys and making a real Gold Box successor. Yeah, wistful thinking but that would be cool...
Dunno how it would work out for them but GOG as a publisher for (new) old school games would be p. cool.

Keldryn

Arcane

The sales figures for these games on GOG may give some indication as to whether or not a significant number of people are interested in these games.

mondblut

Arcane
Buying these shows publishers / developers that there is still a market for these types of games - and it might lead to new ones being developed in this style. Maybe WotC / Hasbro will see how well these sell and make a new Gold-Box-style CRPG and not the watered down action-RPG pablum like Sword Coast Legends.

:notsureifserious:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
, "in the way the Gold Box games did for 1E."

HAHAHAHAHA!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom