Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SS Codex goes to space. Prospector ironman LP.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
There's them double-stars we didn't scan when we went for the dwarf instead. Let's go take a peek at them.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
- Let's scout to the north-west of SS1.
- Or just west. Could be anything. Could be space dragons with lots of treasure for lucky survivors.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Just a reminder - there is one planet in No LF My Ass system, and this planet is full of lifeforms. Some of which are not that threatening, e.g. space snails that weight less than sqeecoo.

Sounds like a perfect place to test our new toys, before setting off for a long flight.

:M

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
What could possibly go wrong?

2802_1.png

I vote for the space snails. Hopefully, they somehow resemble this:

220px-Textile_cone.JPG

Wikipedia said:
Because all cone snails are venomous and capable of "stinging" humans, live ones should be handled with great care or preferably not at all. The species most dangerous to humans are the larger cones, which prey on small bottom-dwelling fish; the smaller species mostly hunt and eat marine worms. Cone snails use a hypodermic needle-like modified radula tooth and a venom gland to attack and paralyze their prey before engulfing it. The tooth is sometimes likened to a dart or a harpoon. It is barbed, and can be extended some distance out from the head of the snail, at the end of the proboscis.

Nevill

Arcane
- With the safety of the SS1 close at hand, the men won't fight even half as furiously as they could.
- Don't fret and head straight for the unknown, Captain! The best test is the one that comes naturally. No pussyfooting with safe lifeforms!

Beowulf

Arcane
Can't you buy cages or rename the laundry room to The Brig to take some of these sleeping creatures captive? Or one can only dissect them peacefully for science?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Can't you buy cages or rename the laundry room to The Brig to take some of these sleeping creatures captive? Or one can only dissect them peacefully for science?

Aye, that I can. But dem space cages are expensive. And while I OBVIOUSLY have enough funds to pay wages and whatnot, I just don't feel like over-expending, you know?

Ok, we're here.

uyjkyyvguz.jpg

Let's take a look at the awayteam, it will stay the same for a while.

uxlbtvpfsw.jpg

- Obvious Captain with best equip is obvious.
- Matalarata in standard-issue spacesuit and a gyro jet gun. Why the fuck is a scientist carrying a gun, you ask? Well, don't ask. Equpping ANYTHING the way you want is pure hell in this game. Let's just pretend that Matalarata gets batshit crazy every time somebody tries to take his rifle away.
- Tindrli in a standard spacesuit, armed with a combat blade.
- Sqeecoo in a damaged spacesuit with a kitchen combat knife. I mean, it's not like he's going to charge into battle ahead of everybody, right?
- Hostergaard in a full ballistic suit (great armor, but damaged), armed with a combat blade.
- Nevill's clones, both in damaged combat armors, both with combat blades.
- Lhynn in combat armor and vibro blade.
- Zephyr in combat armor, gauss rifle and vibro blade.
- Lightbane in damaged spacesuit and no weapons.

Everyone's happy? No? TOO BAD, we're going down anyway!

beuhfuuiuc.jpg

SHOW YERSELF, FOUL SPACE MONSTERS!

jsgtlbfhsq.jpg

AN AMBUSH! Good, we can fight with both melee and missile weapons now! ATTACK!

xbmeejsxrh.jpg

Gentlemen. We did it. It was a hard and long battle, but we have finally scored our very first kill.

A sleeping snail.

I salute you!

:hero:

Let's collect some biodata for future profits.

xwrjpenhdn.jpg

What?? Whaddya mean "the autopsy kit is empty"? This is literally the first time we use it! How can it be empty ALREADY? SPIGOOOT!!

:x

And most importantly, what the hell is this?

pvdjwmkgme.jpg

What a... big, scaly birdie.

asnzlozxsb.jpg

Cassidy, shoot that thing down.

oaeurhtjrw.jpg

Awright, the ship's lazer did what it could. Time to finish the job with knives 'n rifles. Zephyr, are you sniper enough to hit a flying target?

uoneadlrjm.jpg

Nice! Finish it off, men!

smnymaaboo.jpg

Is this heavan? Oh, look - another flying space snail! Killit!

plyfiyjxgl.jpg

:yeah:

What's this?

hqpieqtriy.jpg

It's just getting better and better.

vnoprpvgxl.jpg

jxbpipgtdh.jpg

teyvkidvas.jpg

Long ago, there was a man serving on this ship. He told me once, Grimwulf! There are no lifeforms on this planet! The man had passed, thankfully, but his deranged vision lives on.

What say you, crew? Shall we make his dreams come true? Shall we DEVOID this planet of all life? Or maybe enough is enough, and we can leave planetary genocide for later? After all, the ground is shaking in an uncomfortable way.

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
I had hoped it would be different when it is ice covering water, but whatever. :M

Oh, and the captain is so far not in any danger. Try to snipe 'n kite. :yeah:

Dayyālu

Arcane
Next time I'll throw our best men to fight space snakes on his own. He is almost as giant as they are.

Last time I fought a Lizzard this was the result:

But it's all for naught. Because this day I join my ancestors...

Dayyalu is dead! What am I going to tell his girlfriend now?!

Again with this "girlfriend" nonsense

qzm0bc.jpg

On the other hand, recruit my Red Alert personality freely when needed. Call him "Servant", and he's good to go.

maxresdefault.jpg

He likes machineguns, tanks, flamethrowers and NUCLEAR POWER.

Doesn't like flying, Helicopters, rough landings, water and Swedes.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I had hoped it would be different when it is ice covering water, but whatever. :M

Why the hell not?

jklmfjbwez.jpg

Our firearms blast holes in thick ice. Maybe the lazhor will be more successful?

urvoazwknx.jpg

Umm, no. We should really go easy on the lazer, men.

Shoot the ice beneath dat xeno spider!

oavvqvvapi.jpg

You killed the spider instead! Your aim is SHIT, men. Try harder with that centipede.

qxaeqxwbms.jpg

:yeah:

Xenos are escaping from us! But that centipede is dead, at least.

Strange thing - once the ice melted, the water underneath evaporated completely. Now it's only sand here.

iaditzenut.jpg

Awright! UNLEASH THE GENOCIDE! And gather biodata from dem corpses.

*time passes, as dozens upon dozes of xenos die*

hslvogytdc.jpg

Blegh. Whose idea was that? Matalarata?

*more time passes*

wxmcasrceb.jpg

What the actual

BACK TO THE SHIP! RUN, MEN, RUN!

tizskkxcxy.jpg

Well, that was entertaining. Nobody's hurt, except for a couple spacesuits and a vibro blade. The guns are fine, and that's what matters.

We have gathered a ton of biodata. And the sheer experience of this safari was invaluable.

otsukfilqx.jpg

Sniper, squad leader and paramedic don't earn exp, coz they are support characters. I think? As if it matters anyway - this game has weird mechanics.

Now. What's our next step? Let's see what the officers say.

Check the outskirts of that Nebula near Spacestation-1. Could be a lot of systems there.
There's them double-stars we didn't scan when we went for the dwarf instead. Let's go take a peek at them.

Nevill's clones want to explore the unknown too. I'll wait for some more votes, and then make a decision call, ignoring your suggestions comple

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
- Wait, did our lazer jam again?

It suffered a shutdown, yes.

After we fired it the second time, although it wasn't even heated (the second fire took place after some time had passed).

Good news, the lazer survived and can be used again. Unlike the previous one.
Bad news, our gunner ain't doing a good job. Just kidding. That's not news.

Nevill

Arcane
Bad news, our gunner ain't doing a good job. Just kidding. That's not news.
- The away team accepts everyone. I can use a Klingon promotion.
- I love killing stuff, and I bet I could do a better job with a big-ass laser than with a puny knife. Just sayin'.

lightbane

Arcane
I did not expect to see this, but our crew at last got some kills. Yay!

I suppose that ranged weapons do not use ammo, but instead can break with use, right? Also, did you equip a nuclear warhead into an energy weapon somehow?

Blegh. Whose idea was that? Matalarata?

Ah, yes, yes. It was totally his fault, really *hides silverware*.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I'm really not gud at this game. Most of my techno-mumble answers are just wild guesses.

I suppose that ranged weapons do not use ammo, but instead can break with use, right?

Pretty sure the handheld weapons never break. The corrosion thing we saw last time was due to the planets' atmosphere.

As for ammo, I'm not sure. Spacestations reload your ammo bins, but I can't figure out what the heck are those. Both ship weapons and firearms have seemingly unlimited ammo. And there is no info whatsoever on how much do we have left.

For instance, this is the ship's stats.

hqfscjbfdz.jpg

No sign of ammo.

Also, did you equip a nuclear warhead into an energy weapon somehow?

No idea how this works. I don't have no warheads in my posession, although I paid for them (story of my life). Maybe they are incompatible with lasers.

In any case, I'm mostly derping here. SS Codex might not be the most effective prospector vessel in SPACE, but at least we prospect with style.

:positive:

Ah, yes, yes. It was totally his fault, really *hides silverware*.

:argh:

Lhynn

Arcane
Good job men, i knew you could hit the broad side of a barn if you put your minds to it. Its all about getting in the right mindset.
The captain has given me full permission to whip you all into shape so we will be performing some drills at 1600 hours, i hope to see you all there. (At least i think he did, it was hard to understand him while he was drooling and hugging an empty bottle)

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Tell you what, we'll be ultimately heading for the twin stars, but first we'll do a small circle around Spacestation 1.

Which leads us to a new star!

smyrmxhfri.jpg

Asteroid fields reveal nothing, except for a fact that we all knew before - Azira is a worthless pilot.

ytxekvqevc.jpg

jwgxhgxkhs.jpg

Time to see if Matalarata can handle the scanner as gud as gun.

The first planet is in the first orbit, so it's hot down there. But interesting.

plkcsmdcvl.jpg

What kind of plants are growing under 1000+ C temperature? The atmospehere is breathable, though. Lush planet, many water.

Second orbit is more what you expect from a planet that close to a star.

lofagvqkja.jpg

A barren waste with volcanoes and shit. Some resources can be seen down there.

The faraway planet is cold and icy. And it rotates really slow.

ohmrryjxoh.jpg

That's the system for you. Give it a name, pick a planet, and gear up. The awayteam stays the same.

Nevill

Arcane
- The lush planet where the bioshpere readings are off the charts!
- Space dragons, here we come!

I wonder what earthlike atmosphere means. Does it mean we can walk around without spacesuits? At 1000+ C?

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
I wonder what earthlike atmosphere means. Does it mean we can walk around without spacesuits? At 1000+ C?

Without helmets. Last time we found earthlike atmosphere, it was on 250+ C, and everyone felt ok.

Notice the slight difference in char sprites.

qnkvxpjoxg.jpg
Helmet on.

lqerdvgntj.jpg
Helmet off.

Surely our faces can use a little sun tan, don't you think?

clqjsslljn.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom