Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Square Enix says "hey maybe we should make games for the people who like them"

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Them at the end of the PS2 era there was a shift, Japanese developers decides they had to appeal to western audience and so those game development started to suffer as they added design decisions for a market without much of a clue of what they actually wanted, all those efforts pretty much fallen flat on their faces and been a reversal caused by the success of smaller developers that developed strictly for the Japanese market that enjoyed success outside Japan, Dark Souls is just a example (and a bad one too since its more towards a specific core audience without regionalism).
I think this is bullshit. Can someone show me an actual "westernized" japanese game that wasn't this way prior to PS3? Square Enix markets The Last Remnant as a game trying to appeal to westernfags, a game that have nothing to do with western game design. And if someone yells Resident Evil, please, that game was made for western audiences since the PSX days, and the move to a more action oriented approach happened in the Gamecube days. Even Resident Evil 6 is a shotter way more atipical if compared to the standard western Third Person Shotters. Japfags think making character design more masculine is a way to appeal to western fags (see The Last Remnant).

Plus its still IO Interactive that gave us Kane & Lynch TWICE, are you going to blame that on "Japanese Poison" too?
Square Enix are partially to blame for greenlighting Kane & Lunch 2, tough i can't say what kind of imput they have over the devs. But if sega can make good TPS(Binary Domain), IO should get their shit together. I liked the first K&L even if mediocre.

Drakron

Arcane
Can someone show me an actual "westernized" japanese game that wasn't this way prior to PS3?

Silent Hill.

Edit:

And yes, its weird I am using Silent Hill of all things as a examole but when Konami turned the series into Western developers it sunk like a rock, not Silent Hill 4 didnt had issues but ...

Edit 2:

K&L 2 was announced in November 2009, even if Eidos takeover was finished by May its more that likely enough money was sunk in development prior to Square Enix bid that they would not cancel it, you can blame them from not axing the thing but you cannot blame them for starting development.

Grimlorn

Arcane
Oh shut up.

Reason why they had a name was that pre-PS3 days developers were not overall concerned about international market, Japanese developers worked for the Japanese audience and so did western developers for the western market, their success outside their market was because those games were either good or had some appeal, after all MGS wasnt developed for you faggots to masturbate about Snake.
No back then they had no room to inject their crappy culture and anime crap into games. Now that they do combined with dumbing down their games, they are making crap that is easy and people outside of Japan who aren't into anime crap can't relate to.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Who do you think they dumb things down for? They've been making sure the filthy gaijin gets easier, dumbed down versions of games for decades. They've certainly been pandering to western audiences since before the PS3 though. Probably around the late 90's was when it really started. At this point it's just really endemic.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Can someone show me an actual "westernized" japanese game that wasn't this way prior to PS3?

Silent Hill.

Edit:

And yes, its weird I am using Silent Hill of all things as a examole but when Konami turned the series into Western developers it sunk like a rock, not Silent Hill 4 didnt had issues but ...

Edit 2:

K&L 2 was announced in November 2009, even if Eidos takeover was finished by May its more that likely enough money was sunk in development prior to Square Enix bid that they would not cancel it, you can blame them from not axing the thing but you cannot blame them for starting development.
Konami stopped giving fucks to the Silent Hill franchise and outsourced it to western devs. Still, i liked homecoming as an action horror game. But before Homecoming there was already a western made Silent Hill for the PSP. My question in the previous post is where is the japanese devs making games catered to westernfags because of AAA game development of the XBOX360 days? Handling over japanese franchises to western devs is not the same thing imo.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Who do you think they dumb things down for? They've been making sure the filthy gaijin gets easier, dumbed down versions of games for decades. They've certainly been pandering to western audiences since before the PS3 though. Probably around the late 90's was when it really started. At this point it's just really endemic.
You give japs too much credit. But then you are one of those guys who thinks that 3d games is decline.

xilo3z

Educated
Konami stopped giving fucks to the Silent Hill franchise and outsourced it to western devs. Still, i liked homecoming as an action horror game. But before Homecoming there was already a western made Silent Hill for the PSP. My question in the previous post is where is the japanese devs making games catered to westernfags because of AAA game development of the XBOX360 days? Handling over japanese franchises to western devs is not the same thing imo.

Maybe backing up your point, or not, I'm not sure. You're asking for moments Square changed games because of demographics before 360? Square famously made Vaan the main character in Final Fantasy 12 because of the poor sales of Vagrant Story in the West. Vagrant Story had a "rough", "middle aged" man, so they decided to NOT make Basch the main character of FFXII and create Vaan- an "innocent", "child like" character and throw him in at the very last minute.

- From FF Wiki -
"The development team explained that their previous game, Vagrant Story, which featured a "strong man in his prime" as the protagonist had been unsuccessful and unpopular; the change regarding Final Fantasy XII from a "big and tough" protagonist to a more effeminate one was thus decided after targeting demographics were considered".

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Too much credit how? There are tons of examples of translated games being dumbed down for the western audience.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

Maybe backing up your point, or not, I'm not sure. You're asking for moments Square changed games because of demographics before 360? Square famously made Vaan the main character in Final Fantasy 12 because of the poor sales of Vagrant Story in the West. Vagrant Story had a "rough", "middle aged" man, so they decided to NOT make Basch the main character of FFXII and create Vaan- an "innocent", "child like" character and throw him in at the very last minute.

- From FF Wiki -
"The development team explained that their previous game, Vagrant Story, which featured a "strong man in his prime" as the protagonist had been unsuccessful and unpopular; the change regarding Final Fantasy XII from a "big and tough" protagonist to a more effeminate one was thus decided after targeting demographics were considered".
So is the westernfags the pedos now? Plot twist. I wonder how they measure the popularity of a protagonist. Game sales? To make things stranger, The devs of Last Remnant made The Conqueror villain as a way to appeal to westernfags. There is also Nier with a muscular brotagonist father in the west vs effeminate protagonist for japs. All things considered, changing a protagonist to more manly/gayer doesn't involve changing mechanics/systems of the game.

Damned Registrations
Can you explain how are these translated games being dumbed down?

Drakron

Arcane
Square famously made Vaan the main character in Final Fantasy 12 because ...

Honestly this bullshit is as retarded as the people that spew it.

FF XII had a rather convulsed development history and Vaan being made the "main" character was likely because development shifted enough to the point they need a character to anchor all the storylines that got thrown in.

Basch would not work from a narrative PoV because Basch involvement with the story would put him at odds, Vaan being young is just a natural part of hero journey narrative were they need to have room to grow mentally, plus it had nothing to do with Vagrant Story but Final Fantasy Tactics.

Plus I can easily pull out of a hat a Japanese game with a middle aged man as protagonist ... Lost Odyssey that is from Sakaguchi that did Blue Dragon before that and I should even need to post his credentials.

Also Vagrant Story main problem was gameplay, not story and not the protagonist.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
- From FF Wiki -
This is extremely impressive : the japanese had seen the West as becoming Justin Bieber/Twilight/Metrosexuals enamored people before it actually happened massively. Good call, SE !

Last edited:

curry

Arcane

Durwyn

Prophet
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-16-sony-sells-all-its-square-enix-shares-for-28m

While it's a financial boost for Sony, it marks the separation of two historically big Japanese gaming companies - a partnership that resulted in a strong Final Fantasy presence on PlayStation hardware over the years

Incline or no?
Abandoning the sinking ship I suppose. Squeenix doesn't seem to have any big success lately, maybe Bravely Default only but I don't think it is or can be their main Cash-cow .

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
Damned Registrations
Can you explain how are these translated games being dumbed down?
Are you asking why having enemies do less damage, give more xp and gold, etc., is dumbing down the game? Or are you honestly not aware of all the games where this happens?
how does it correlate exclusively to western audiences? Are the jap version of these games harder and more complex per chance? Maybe im wrong but i remember that the western version of the original Resident Evil didn't have auto aim because it would be much easier.

Drakron

Arcane
how does it correlate exclusively to western audiences? Are the jap version of these games harder and more complex per chance? Maybe im wrong but i remember that the western version of the original Resident Evil didn't have auto aim because it would be much easier.

I know Zone of Enders 2 had a much more difficult final boss fight in the European and Japanese versions that the US version, if I recall MGS2 had the European Hard difficulty that was the highest that was just in the European versions.

Granted it might be because sometimes the PAL version was last and that is why I didnt mentioned FF X that had content from the Zodiac version that were extra dungeons and optional harder bosses but in ZoE2 case I think the only one with easier final boss was the NA version, maybe Kojima just thinkis Europeans along with the Japanse are the Master Race ... dont know but that certainly been in some cases.

Of course there is also downright censorship in some cases that removed content.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
So, how does Square Enix actually plan to fix their hemmorraging of cash considering that while they may have identified the source of the loss, they don't have the talent to fix it.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

I know Zone of Enders 2 had a much more difficult final boss fight in the European and Japanese versions that the US version, if I recall MGS2 had the European Hard difficulty that was the highest that was just in the European versions.

Granted it might be because sometimes the PAL version was last and that is why I didnt mentioned FF X that had content from the Zodiac version that were extra dungeons and optional harder bosses but in ZoE2 case I think the only one with easier final boss was the NA version, maybe Kojima just thinkis Europeans along with the Japanse are the Master Race ... dont know but that certainly been in some cases.

Of course there is also downright censorship in some cases that removed content.
I remember the japanese version of the PSX game Metal Gear solid lacking hard difficulty tough.
But even if true, this doesn't have anything to do with westernization.

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter

I remember the japanese version of the PSX game Metal Gear solid lacking hard difficulty tough.
But even if true, this doesn't have anything to do with westernization.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Now, in before Chrono Trigger 2? :desu:
No Jesus please no, leave my child memories untainted please. Thiaf already killed some part of my past, Tomb Raider was not a pleasant journey too.
Eh, my memories aren't going anywhere, and Chrono Cross was already a turd of a sequel. Bring on CT2.

Would be nice if they did a Secret of Evermore spiritual sequel, or even just some Secret of Mana games that aren't total shit like the recent ones. Square was definitely king of the hill during the SNES days, and should look there for inspiration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interference_theory#Retroactive_interference

Retroactive interference (RI) is a phenomenon that occurs when newly learned information interferes with and impedes the recall of previously learned information

J1M

Arcane
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-16-sony-sells-all-its-square-enix-shares-for-28m

While it's a financial boost for Sony, it marks the separation of two historically big Japanese gaming companies - a partnership that resulted in a strong Final Fantasy presence on PlayStation hardware over the years

Incline or no?
Abandoning the sinking ship I suppose. Squeenix doesn't seem to have any big success lately, maybe Bravely Default only but I don't think it is or can be their main Cash-cow .
Sony probably needed the cash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom