Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Square Enix says "hey maybe we should make games for the people who like them"

A user named cat

Would be nice to get a sequel to some of their forgotten niche titles like Terranigma/Soul Blazer or Vagrant Story but who am I kidding.

Athelas

Arcane
Terranigma was pretty cool. Although it was an Enix title rather than a Square one, right? Come to think of it, Square and Enix would probably have been better off not merging.

Dickie

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Oh, man. I found an awesome comment there. Is he joking?

I bet people used to say that Elder Scrolls games would never reach the kind of GTA and CoD commercial success, but look at how far Skyrim has gone without becoming even slightly a dumbed down linear action game for the masses. There are tens of millions of people out there waiting to play a great game that does not play exactly like the currently most popular game.

Athelas

Arcane
You weren't a fan of their previous joint masterpiece, Dungeon Siege III? :smug:

That being said, a collaboration between a jRPG dev and a wRPG dev would be...interesting.

AlexOfSpades

Arcane
The several Square Enix executives stared in awe at the center of the meeting table: a pristine glass, filled with milk. "Now, we'll add a spoon of chocolate powder" - said the developer, as he added the chocolate mix to the glass and the solution became dark brown. As one of the publishers tried it, he was delighted - the chocolate milk was delicious. And so reacted the fans, worldwide, trying out the chocolate milk. The sales went through the roof, and they were getting richer and richer.

Then, on the next meeting, they sat again at the meeting table, staring at the glass of milk at the center. "How can we make it generate even more money?" - one of them asked. "I have an idea" - said another one. "Let's ask the consumers what they like the most about the product. Do they like the sweet taste? Is it the texture? Do they drink it hot or cold?" The executives rubbed their chins, wondering how to multiply their wealth. Then, suddenly, the door was opened - the marketing team arrived, PowerPoint guns blazing. "We have the solution!" - the marketing team director exclaimed. "Imagine now, my friends... The same spoon with chocolate mix, but now.. instead of in a glass, we'll put it... in a whole gallon of milk! Same chocolate costs, but several times more product! With so much chocolate milk, we'll be able to reach a much bigger audience!". The developers and executives were absolutely astonished - they wouldn't even increase their costs and would still multiply their profit! What could ever go wrong?

The chocolate milk fans went ballistic on the forums. "It will taste like nothing!"- they said. "We liked the chocolate milk because it had the strong taste. Now that it's so dissolved, it will be tasteless..." but Square ignored them - the fans are just idiots, right? The people that know the Real Deal are the marketing team. "How can you say it will taste like nothing if you never drank it?" - the PR shills said, trolling forums worldwide. "They're just fanboys". Dubstep-filled HDR trailers of the new chocolate mix spread through the internet, advertising their product to exhaustion before launch.

~ One Year Later ~

"If you focus too much on dissolving your product to serve more people, it might taste like nothing"

- Said Matsuda in an interview, astonished after this basic chemistry lesson. Damn, who would have imagined - turns out it has to taste good first, in order to sell.

Last edited:

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
So more Wapanese master race exclusive portable games and less popamole shit for gaijin market. Gotcha.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Now, in before Chrono Trigger 2? :desu:
No Jesus please no, leave my child memories untainted please. Thiaf already killed some part of my past, Tomb Raider was not a pleasant journey too.
Eh, my memories aren't going anywhere, and Chrono Cross was already a turd of a sequel. Bring on CT2.

Would be nice if they did a Secret of Evermore spiritual sequel, or even just some Secret of Mana games that aren't total shit like the recent ones. Square was definitely king of the hill during the SNES days, and should look there for inspiration.

Durwyn

Prophet
Would be nice if they did a Secret of Evermore spiritual sequel, or even just some Secret of Mana games that aren't total shit like the recent ones. Square was definitely king of the hill during the SNES days, and should look there for inspiration.
I don't know shit about other games in the franchise but Secrets of Mana 2 aka Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of my favorite games, played the shit out of it on snes emu (lately on my phone). A proper sequel to that, an action rpg brawler with 2d graphics on par with Dragon's Crown would be delicious. Well, dreams are all I have.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
I don't know shit about other games in the franchise but Secrets of Mana 2 aka Seiken Densetsu 3 is one of my favorite games, played the shit out of it on snes emu (lately on my phone). A proper sequel to that, an action rpg brawler with 2d graphics on par with Dragon's Crown would be delicious. Well, dreams are all I have.
Try out Secret of Mana and Evermore. Same style of combat more or less, excellent games. Legend of Mana is pretty cool too, though a lot more hit and miss in it's design all around.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
They will return Deus Ex to its roots from the glory days of Invisible War. :cool:

Hmmm... think about it though, Invisible War with much larger levels thanks to modern console RAM, a better PC port thanks to Square's port house Nixxes, and no more weird ragdoll puppets?

I'd play it.

zwanzig_zwoelf

They will return Deus Ex to its roots from the glory days of Invisible War. :cool:

Hmmm... think about it though, Invisible War with much larger levels thanks to modern console RAM, a better PC port thanks to Square's port house Nixxes, and no more weird ragdoll puppets?

I'd play it.
IIRC Nixxes are Eidos slaves.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
The several Square Enix executives stared in awe at the center of the meeting table: a pristine glass, filled with milk. "Now, we'll add a spoon of chocolate powder" - said the developer, as he added the chocolate mix to the glass and the solution became dark brown. As one of the publishers tried it, he was delighted - the chocolate milk was delicious. And so reacted the fans, worldwide, trying out the chocolate milk. The sales went through the roof, and they were getting richer and richer.

Then, on the next meeting, they sat again at the meeting table, staring at the glass of milk at the center. "How can we make it generate even more money?" - one of them asked. "I have an idea" - said another one. "Let's ask the consumers what they like the most about the product. Do they like the sweet taste? Is it the texture? Do they drink it hot or cold?" The executives rubbed their chins, wondering how to multiply their wealth. Then, suddenly, the door was opened - the marketing team arrived, PowerPoint guns blazing. "We have the solution!" - the marketing team director exclaimed. "Imagine now, my friends... The same spoon with chocolate mix, but now.. instead of in a glass, we'll put it... in a whole gallon of milk! Same chocolate costs, but several times more product! With so much chocolate milk, we'll be able to reach a much bigger audience!". The developers and executives were absolutely astonished - they wouldn't even increase their costs and would still multiply their profit! What could ever go wrong?

The chocolate milk fans went ballistic on the forums. "It will taste like nothing!"- they said. "We liked the chocolate milk because it had the strong taste. Now that it's so dissolved, it will be tasteless..." but Square ignored them - the fans are just idiots, right? The people that know the Real Deal are the marketing team. "How can you say it will taste like nothing if you never drank it?" - the PR shills said, trolling forums worldwide. "They're just fanboys". Dubstep-filled HDR trailers of the new chocolate mix spread through the internet, advertising their product to exhaustion before launch.

~ One Year Later ~

"If you focus too much on dissolving your product to serve more people, it might taste like nothing"

- Said Matsuda in an interview, astonished after this basic chemistry lesson. Damn, who would have imagined - turns out it has to taste good first, in order to sell.

And so was told the tale of the Square Enix execs and the chocolate milk.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

lampuiho

Barely Literate
Got to just register to say this.
I really hate Square Enix trying so hard to spread that Japanese pedophilic culture with their games. Another typical Japanese style girl in that Japanese style school uniform as one of the main character. And they made Hitman a soft pussy when he's supposed to be emotionless.
If they want the next game be great, they need to stop trying to inject those japanese poison into every single game they try to make. Just let the developers take care of the design. That includes tomb raider. I hate the new Lara Croft

Drakron

Arcane
Oh shut up.

Reason why they had a name was that pre-PS3 days developers were not overall concerned about international market, Japanese developers worked for the Japanese audience and so did western developers for the western market, their success outside their market was because those games were either good or had some appeal, after all MGS wasnt developed for you faggots to masturbate about Snake.

Them at the end of the PS2 era there was a shift, Japanese developers decides they had to appeal to western audience and so those game development started to suffer as they added design decisions for a market without much of a clue of what they actually wanted, all those efforts pretty much fallen flat on their faces and been a reversal caused by the success of smaller developers that developed strictly for the Japanese market that enjoyed success outside Japan, Dark Souls is just a example (and a bad one too since its more towards a specific core audience without regionalism).

Plus since you apparently figured out how to register I suppose you also can figure out how to Wiki Eidos, the issues that are with those games dont have anything to do with Square Exnix but the fact its still Eidos, there is a reason why the company successful managed to get itself into bankruptcy in the first place and before Tomb Raider:Gore Edition we had Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness.

Plus its still IO Interactive that gave us Kane & Lynch TWICE, are you going to blame that on "Japanese Poison" too? Ir are you going to say they were great games along with Eidos other wondrous hits as Invisible War and the The Angel of Darkness? I am not mentioning Thief 3 because it wasnt as bad (and clearly not as bad as Thief 4) ... and of course we all know Batman:Arkansan Asylum is a terrible weeaboo game right?

Luzur

Good Sir

yeah, was fucking unbelievable that it wasnt released in the West.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom