Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Squad-Level Tactical Games

Discussion in 'Strategy Gaming' started by Severian Silk, Jun 14, 2005.

1. baronjohngender: ⚧ Arbiter

baronjohn
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    What about Project Eden?

^ Top  
  2. helmengender: ⚧ Novice

helmen
    Parrots:
    To include in your list

PC
    Series of Wizardry (turn +squad +first person)
    Return to krondor (turn +squad)
    Planescape: torment, baldur's gate, icewind dale, lionheart (RTwP, +squad)
    Arcanum of steamwork and magick obscura (Turn/real time, +squad +fallout clone)
    Eschalon: book (phase-based +single character)
    Pool of radiance (+turn +squad)

MMos
    Gunrox
    Poxnora

Oldgames
    Realms of arcadia (turn +squad)
    Darklands (RTwP +squad +sandbox)
    Albion (turn +squad)
    Wasteland (prequel of fallout)
    Syndicate (+real time whit pause? +squad)

Open Source
    DccNightmare (turn +squad or single character?)
    LostLabyrinth (turn +multi single character +roguelike)
    FreeSynd

Consoles
    Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (+turn +squad +gbadvance)
    Warhammer 40000: Squad Command (+turn +squad +ds/psp)
    Final fantasy tactics (+turn +squad)
    Battles of Prince of Persia (+turn +squad +ds)

^ Top  
  3. helmengender: ⚧ Novice

helmen
    Parrots:
    The fife project and his results http://fifengine.de/

^ Top  
  4. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Can you position your squaddies individually on the playing field in any of these games?

FIFE is still in a tech demo stage as of this time. It's not even in public alpha yet IIRC.

^ Top  
  5. helmengender: ⚧ Novice

helmen
    Parrots:
    Yes:

Wizardry (only on a small defined place)
    Return to krondor (yes)
    Planescape: torment, baldur's gate, icewind dale, lionheart (yes)
    Arcanum of steamwork and magick obscura (yes)
    Pool of radiance (yes)

MMos
    Gunrox (yes)
    Poxnora (yes)

Oldgames
    Realms of arcadia (yes)
    Darklands (yes)
    Albion ( (Yes, but only as chess)
    Wasteland (sob sob :roll: )
    Syndicate (yes)

Consoles
    Dungeons & Dragons: Eye of the Beholder (yes)
    Warhammer 40000: Squad Command (yes)
    Final fantasy tactics (yes)
    Battles of Prince of Persia (yes)

Add another 2 game
    Oldgames:
    Spellcross (tactical +turn +squad, yes you move freely in the field)

Console:
    Koudelka psx (tactical +turn +squad, you move in a "large" table like a chess)

:)

I like the Tactical rpg, is one of my favorite genres

^ Top  
  6. mvBarracudagender: ⚧ Liturgist

mvBarracuda
    Parrots:
    How do you classify that? The project is public since the very beginning offering anyonymous SVN checkout so everyone can get their hands on the code so how is that not public?

^ Top  
  7. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    And do what with it exactly?

Also:

So it hasn't even reached tech demo stage yet.

I'm not trying to diss your project. My point was just that it is inappropriate for this thread since it's not ... you know ... an actual game or anywhere near being able to run one yet.

^ Top  
  8. helmengender: ⚧ Novice

helmen
    Parrots:
    Add "arc the lad" for psx/ps2 (turn tactics squad)

^ Top  
  9. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    This is a PC RPG forum. Why would I list console games?

Maybe you would like to create your own forum so that you can list these games? I hear that web space is cheap these days...

^ Top  
  10. AlaCarcussgender: ⚧ Arbiter

AlaCarcuss
    Parrots:
    Huh? WTF? - where does it mention anywhere in this forum, or anywhere on this site for that matter, that it's PC only?

Not that I care, I'm predominately a PC gamer anyway as is most of the codex, but there are pleanty of console related threads on this forum. And contrary to common belief, there are actually a few squad based tactical console games worth mentioning.

^ Top  
  11. mvBarracudagender: ⚧ Liturgist

mvBarracuda
    Parrots:
    You know, create games with it? Like UH, PARPG and Zero dev teams are doing?
    http://www.unknown-horizons.org/site/
    http://blog.parpg.net/
    http://zero-projekt.net/

You should NOT mix up FIFE and PARPG. We want to release a first techdemo of PARPG at the end of the year. FIFE has been pretty much out of techdemo stage since years. The reason why you can read about PARPG at the FIFE blog is because all FIFE-based games news are aggregated there as well.

^ Top  
  12. helmengender: ⚧ Novice

helmen
    Parrots:
    Yes, no one has said.
    Assnuggets you are very mannerless, i just signed up to participate in your discussion, i have mentioned and highlighted (at your request) many games for PC beyond those few for consoles and however you did not even adduced in the first message.
    YOURSELF in your list added games for consoles like Rebelstar! ...hypocrite

^ Top  
  13. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    OK, I added some of the games you listed. I need some verification by other members on the others.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. rpgcodexusernamegender: ⚧ Arcane

rpgcodexusername
    Parrots:
    Ive got one in my sig

^ Top  
  15. Crichtongender: ⚧ Erudite

Crichton
    Parrots:
    I like tactics games, but I'm not much for taxonomy, so I usually stay out of these threads, but it really seems like your list is going in a bunch of different directions.

On the one hand, you have games that depend on positioning units in the face of the enemy (a common definition of tactics), like the ToEE, the gold box games, Silent Storm, etc.

But then you have games like Commandos or it's clones (Robin Hood) where all you can really do is move one unit around while the others stand guard (basically there's no giving orders while paused, so you can move two units simultaneously).

And to round it out, you've got Dark Omen on there, which is a tactics game, but the level of command is units of men, not men, so it's not a "squad tactics" game by any stretch of the imagination.

You also include Darklands, but you don't include the vast horde of RTwP fantasy squad tactics games out there (IE games, Drakensang, Dragon Age, etc); which is a particularly curious omission since you include things like Strike Squad that have a much more primitive RTwP system.

My Advice:

-Cut the list in half, fantasy "party" games on one side (Darklands, IE games, ToEE, Goldbox games), sci-fi/modern/WWII "squad" games on the other (Silent Storm, X-com, Rebelstar, Space Hulk).

-Limit the list to games that are turn-based or allow giving orders while paused to cut down confusion and specify which is which on the list (so cut out Commandos and Seal Team and don't include things like SWAT4; Mass Effect 1+2 are actually an interesting case here since they do allow you to order movement and actions while paused).

-If you want to include larger scale tactics games like Dark Omen, Total War, Knights of Honor, etc) make a separate list for them.

Miscellanea:

Arcanum has no party control, it's basically a cross between the NWN1 henchmen system and FO2. (still a great game)

Age of Decadence has no party period. (Because VD is a dipshit that doesn't give a damn about gameplay)

If you're including console stuff like D&D: Tactics, you should definitely include Final Fantasy: Tactics, FFT Advance, Tactics Ogre, Tactics Ogre Advance (even though it's crap), Vandal Hearts and a whole host of other games I can't think of off the top of my head. The nippers usually call them "strategy RPGs" because no one knows what tactics and strategy mean anymore.

^ Top  
  16. Wise Emperorgender: ⚧ Cipher

Wise Emperor
    Parrots:
  17. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Good ideas, thank you.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. chemchokgender: ⚧ Novice

chemchok
    Parrots:
    I see you have Wizard's Crown listed - you should add its sequel, The Eternal Dagger.

^ Top  
  19. Gonchigender: ⚧ Scholar

Gonchi
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  20. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Done and done.

Also added Zion from the other thread, as well as Frozen Synapse.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Added Xenonauts, Heroes of Jin Yong, Phase: Exodus, Exile, Nethergate and a bunch of JA2 total conversion mods.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. AlaCarcussgender: ⚧ Arbiter

AlaCarcuss
    Parrots:
    Um, forgive me if this is already mentioned - I only skimmed the first and last page of this thread, but I can't see the Myth series by Bungie mentioned anywhere. Two of the finest tactical squad based games ever made? (well, actually I just started playing the first one - but so far it's freaking awesome).

^ Top  
  23. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    Good catch. Don't know how I forgot those.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Steve16384gender: ⚧ Novice

Steve16384
    Parrots:
    Stellar Forces? It's like Laser Squad (the precursor to X-Com for those who don't know).

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)