Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squad - 50 vs 50 online shooter

Wolfe

Arbiter

Coming out tommorow in Early Access format, can't wait to check it out. Anyone got it or been keeping an eye on it?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Should change the title to be more informative.

It's a 50 vs 50 online shooter from the makers of project reality mod for BF 2 on UE 4 engine.

Wolfe

Arbiter
The game is an absolute blast to play. Haven't had too much time to get into it over the past month, but I've put in about 8 hours today with some friends and damn, it's one of the most promising EA titles I've played so far. Can't wait for vehicles to be added.

funkadelik

Arcane
Love this game. It brings me back to the oldschool Delta Force multiplayer days, massive maps, unsure if something you see is a bush or an enemy, etc.

Severian Silk

EA will probably gimp all the stuff that's fun in order to make it "accessible". Don't judge the game based on early access.

Steve

Augur
So it's streamlined Arma?
No, it's an unofficial sequel to the project reality mod for BF2 (Official sequel is project reality 2 which is pretty much abandonware). If you aren't familiar with PR, it's a multiplayer FPS based entirely on teamwork, communication and coordination.
Squad is at the moment very barebones, It's infantry only on relatively smallish maps. What we got is very solid framework for them to build the rest of the game on but to be honest, it still isn't enough to make for an interesting game. Better just to stick with PR for now until they add at least the first few vehicles and the logistics/supply system.

Last edited:

Steve

Augur
V7 alpha is out, includes first vehicles and the logistics system

vehicletypes.jpg

Wolfe

Arbiter
This update is quite substantial, I'm happy if they can keep this pace of development and push out a major update every two months. That being said, there are lots of bugs and performance issues in V7 that should be fixed before and through V8, which will be focused on optimisations.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Free weekend and 50% off. V8 came out and it improved performance by a lot. Still incredibly fun to play, got up to 200 hours in total now.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Can you play solo? I don't want all this team must play and communicate new retardness.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Well, you can try to, but you'll be kicked from any serious squad. As each squad has different roles such as medic, AT, AR or marksman, it just doesn't work without communication. Usually a Squad Leader will call you out once or twice if you don't contribute via microphone or lone wolf, then you're out.

Severian Silk

What if you only want to communicate with one of your teammates but not the rest?

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Got this after playing the free weekend. Pretty fun if you find a good communicative squad.

Wolfe

Arbiter
Cool. I've been Squad Leading the entire weekend and had the luck of playing with newbs that were willing to listen and learn. I've also heard that OWI has sold quite a few copies, which I hope will help them deliver on the long list of planned additions. So far they've done pretty damn well, for me it's the best shooter on the market right now.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
It's pretty fun to play in short doses, I quit playing Arma 3 because of the ridiculous amount of damage people could take from guns at times, the shooting in this feels a lot more realistic with one or two shots putting people down.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Probably my favourite game at the moment, but I have to see that I don't burn myself out. The early access still has a long way to go.

So it's streamlined Arma?
It's ARMA for people who aren't autistic spergs.

Last edited:

Wolfe

Arbiter
The early access still has a long way to go.

Here is a list of the confirmed features that will *eventually* be added: https://www.reddit.com/r/joinsquad/comments/4xen2p/upcoming_features_a_list_of_whats_planned/

As far as I know, the next update will bring the long awaited new animation system, which could mean vaulting over walls and dragging bodies (among others). I'm especially looking forward to features such as Freelook, the commander role, and obviously.. tanks. Also, fireteams, assigning a secondary leader will be amazing, there's way too much responsibility currently resting on the shoulders of the SL.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
A secondary leader could be great, yeah. I also think the ability to lock squads needs to be in the game asap. Tried leading a small squad with a few friends but quickly lost track of what to do when random people started joining in, you also don't need a full squad of 9 to take down their supply lines, the ability to have small focused squads will be cool.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I tried squad leader. Damn, that was stressful.

Some other stuff that kinda fouls the experience a bit is that there seems to be a best way to beat each map. With that I mean - get into a fucking vehicle as fast as you can and rush the points. I was hoping this game would play out differently, maybe give you some time to come up with a plan and so on. Because the thing is, if you don't cap fast as hell the match will be pretty much over since you bleed ticket like a stuck pig.

The PR- mod maps was a lot bigger and matches seem to go on a lot longer and involve a lot more tactics. Still I'm hooked on the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom