Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Spoilers thread (AoD & DR)

hivemind

Is the thing we observe happening in the portal ending the same ritual that happens in Al Akia with the same entity being summoned?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
No. It wasn't planned originally but I'm thinking of adding the ritual in one of the updates to allow a character with high INT to figure it out and do it. Take the eye from the Emperor, find a ghost hand, use the machines, etc.
:incline::dance:
On one hand it would be great, on the other only a handful of people will notice it, it won't increase sales and it will take up a lot of time. I would advise against it, for CSG sake.
Won't be doing it to increase sales but give more to people who bought the game, which is always a worthwhile "investment".

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Won't be doing it to increase sales but give more to people who bought the game, which is always a worthwhile "investment".
The game is very replayable and has enough content as it is IMO (I have over 80 hours in and I'm not bored yet) and IIRC you said that it has already taken you much more time than intended. I would prefer to not have any more delays in CSG development rather than have a better DR game. Plus a huge addition such as this is bound to be a nightmare on you for various reasons (mainly complicated scripting and bugs that are bound to happen, correct me if I'm wrong).

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
The game is very replayable and has enough content as it is IMO (I have over 80 hours in and I'm not bored yet) and IIRC you said that it has already taken you much more time than intended. I would prefer to not have any more delays in CSG development rather than have a better DR game. Plus a huge addition such as this is bound to be a nightmare on you for various reasons (mainly complicated scripting and bugs that are bound to happen, correct me if I'm wrong).

Well, I thought through better, and I agree with you. No matter how good RT is or can be, I want new content in it only if it doesn't distract too much time from CSG, when "too much time" is when you could work on CSG, but worked instead on DR.
If improvement of this game will take time, which can not be spent on anything else - then I agree.
We need choose something, so I chose.

Btw, how "to choose" in past time, because google give me bullshit.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
How many INT checks are there? I want to roll with a CHA10 character for all the content available and don't want to get gimped on any auxiliary INT ones.

Vault Dweller

Developer
It's not a huge addition yet. Adding the ritual itself and the items required is easy, the question is the ritual's effects. It should be a failed ritual (but you'll get further than the Emperor due to being smarter) because no matter how smart you are, you aren't a loremaster. So the idea is that you gain bonuses and penalties to make things interesting and turn high INT into a unique gameplay build. Ideally, these changes would require min programming support. Any suggestions? What would you gain and what would you lose (on the mechanics end) that would make it interesting for you?

hivemind

Isn't it a bit too late at that point tho?

I mean I like the idea but if you need to kill the emprah to attempt the ritual you are only faces with like 2 optional fights and the final battle at most to have with your unique gameplay build.

ntonystinson

Scholar
I got this from one of the dev replies to a steam review
  • You can't do all quests with one character, so whether or not you enjoy the game is tied to your ability to accept your character's limitations and not get frustrated when your character fails (to be fair it's not as easy as it sounds). In general, you can do about a quarter of all available quests per playthrough, like you said. I don't consider it a flaw, which is why the game is designed this way, but this design isn't for everyone.
I don't have a problem with this as I feel been able to do everything was part of the issues that ruined games like skyrim.

• I assume you tried to turn your assassin into a fighter/talker, which is the source of your frustration. You ended up with a character that's not that good at fighting and not good at talking. Should you ever decide to revisit the game, I'd suggest playing a more straightforward character first. Then you wouldn't have any problems you've described in your review.
This is the part I actually have a problem with in the game(and almost everyone else who has a problem its usually this one). How is it unrealistic to have a guy who is good at talking be good at defending himself? If you even look at popular culture(Movies and such) the main characters are usually good at fights and persuading others(Jon Snow of GOT for example is both a good fighter and extremely capable leader in the books. He wins over the wildlings both with his strength and words and he is also noted for his intelligence). An average soldier is also expected to be intelligent along with being strong. I understand the devs want their game to have replay value but maybe there are better and more realistic ways. And instead of absolute stat checks, won't a probability system be better? ie the higher Your stats the higher your probability of performing an action.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Which is what makes it interesting, imo. The penalties won't cripple you but they will affect your playstyle and force you to adapt (if done right).

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ideally, these changes would require min programming support. Any suggestions? What would you gain and what would you lose (on the mechanics end) that would make it interesting for you?
Nothing interesting that comes to mind. With alchemy we have superior strength at the cost of perception, we have neurostimulants and we have poison so I can't think of anything unique that could be done with min programming required. In general the augmented eye should lower your perception (or heighten it if it's that advanced)...

Maybe we could gain/lose stats every other turn (so +3 to STR, DEX, CON on turn 1 and -3 in turn 2, relative to base stats) which combined with regeneration potion could make it interesting. Or we could lose every second turn but get a huge bonus (+5 to stats).

hivemind

Maybe extreme version of regenerative potion? Drop max hp but offer greater regeneration. Your body is exhausted from the ritual but now you have some neat new abilities.

Or natural DR gain and accuracy penalties. You morphed into something else, but have trouble controlling your body as well as before given the alien addition.

Or more extreme, gain a bunch of bonuses, but followers fail their sanity check and abandon you.

Or physical maluses but some sort of a completely new ability like Agathoth mind spike or poison darts(tho that would probably be too tricky to implement)

idk what else

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Maybe extreme version of regenerative potion? Drop max hp but offer greater regeneration. Your body is exhausted from the ritual but now you have some neat new abilities.
Or quite contrary - HP boost with complete inability to heal. Can't think anything better.

Mozg

Arcane
Just give the player the Agathoth model and animations and let them go ham tearing through the final battle.

Save the "but this is really too successful for you to have pulled off without lore" and have a bad end during the ending slides.

hivemind

Or quite contrary - HP boost with complete inability to heal. Can't think anything better.
But you are really only facing one serious final battle up at that point where it's impossible to heal anyhow.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
So, do anyone of you guys have screenshots of conversation with Centurion, various lines? I got talk with him, but don;t want to repeat figth 3 times just to check another dialogue lines.
'll be glad if you have them.

Goral

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
So, do anyone of you guys have screenshots of conversation with Centurion, various lines? I got talk with him, but don;t want to repeat figth 3 times just to check another dialogue lines.
'll be glad if you have them.
I can give you a transcript of a high charisma version, if you want screens I only have ending slides.

“It’s over and you know it.

You don’t have enough men left to take the fort, so why throw your lives away?”

”What choice do we have?” asks the Centurion.

“If we go back, every third man will be crucified.“

“Look on the bright side.

Two out of three will live.

You keep trying to take the fort, they will all die for nothing.”

“Maybe.

Maybe not.

It’s your duty to warn your lord of what transpired here, is it not?

If you die trying to take the fort, there will be weeks before your superiors realize that something went wrong.”

“Why?

Is it your fault they sent a single century instead of a full legion?

Is it your fault that the local guards were overrun so easily and all but handed over the fort to us?

You tried your best but you’re *vastly* outnumbered.“

“Alright,” says the Centurion, swallowing hard.

“We’ll withdraw but you’re coming with us.

“If I’m to be crucified, you’ll be crucified next to me.

If I live, who knows, maybe you’ll live too.

Do you accept the terms, convict?”

“Sure, I’ll come with you – not as your prisoner but as a witness of your heroic exploits.

I mean, you do want me to tell your lord that you fought so bravely against hundreds of murderous, stark raven mad prisoners that many prisoners changed sides and died fighting for House Aurelian, except for me, of course?”

The Centurion’s jaws tighten as he fights back the anger.

Finally, he nods.

“Maybe I won’t get crucified after all.”

“Crucified?

You let me do the talking and you’ll be a Legatus in no time.”

“Get our new friend a horse,” says the Centurion.

“We're leaving.”

Accompany the Centurion to Maadoran.
I might have mixed it up with some other version but that's the gist of it.

Tick Tock Crocodile

Could someone tell me what the highest value of Int that will ever be checked is?

I don't know if Vince will ever read this, but I wanted to say your game is fantastic and an enormous labor of love. I have enormous respect for you as well and I created an account on the Codex because I just wanted to say one thing. It's really nitpicky and kinda rude considering I never will make anything like Age of Decadence in my life, but "There is nothing wrong with mindless fun and wish fulfillment" in the about page of AoD comes off as a bit condescending. I figured if even someone with a mental handicap like me could detect that, it would put off people from buying your game - Which is a really good game, but you know, appearance is everything. I don't know if you care that much about sales though. Also sometimes it comes off that you think your game is flawless and that there is a "Right" and "Wrong" way to play the game in some of your replies to negative steam reviews. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing you as a person, what you created with the game says a lot more about you than your rhetoric does but I was worried that it might hurt your and the game's image.

That's all I wanted to say. I look forward to buying whatever your team makes next.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom