Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Spintires - For all your post-Soviet, stuck-in-the-mud trucking needs

visions

Arcane
Stumbled on this recently: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358753914/spintires-the-ultimate-off-road-challenge

I have yet to break my trucking sim cherry but the idea of this (driving authentically modelled Soviet trucks through Russian wilderness) seems right up my alley.

The KS could be doing better but they already have a bunch of work done and the project started before the KS craze, so in the event the Kickstarter fails, I doubt they will simply give up.

They currently have a tech demo with no gameplay and an old demo from 2011.

Even though the requirements they list for the tech demo are very low for today, I couldn't get it to run on either of the old laptops I am using right now, which despite being quite old, still easily surpass the minimum requirements they give (which I'd take with a grain of salt).

In order to get the playable demo to run, I had to uninstall the newer tech demo. It ran fine initially but crashed the graphics card of one of the computers I tried it on after I had forded a river. I expect those with more capable computers to not run into such problems though.

Still, it has a motherfucking KrAZ truck and I expect to have bought a new desktop by the time it comes out, so I'm backing this for a lower tier.

For more information besides the Kickstarter page, there's a lengthy thread here: http://www.rigsofrods.com/threads/92776-Spin-Tires-offroad-trucks-and-cars-trucktrial-!!!-NEW-DEMO-MAZ-UAZ-pg-29!!!-%29

visions

Arcane
Funded.

Gameplay video:

Driver gets stuck in mud around the 6 min mark. Gets stuck again around 9:20.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
What is Spintires?

Spintires is an Intel® award winning game produced by Oovee™ Game Studios that promises to be one of the best off-roading experiences available for PC, this side of the Ural Mountains. Still deep in development, Oovee™ hopes to provide a full game release in Q2-Q3 2014.

http://www.spintires.com/

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/358753914/spintires-the-ultimate-off-road-challenge

There is a very slick tech demo available for download, and it's already great fun, with many cool Russian and East Block vehicles.

Burning Bridges

Sorry, I wasn't aware of another thread.

Just give it some time. Not too many bros follow this forum, and the game will become better known with more time and visibility. And I am becoming more confident that this simulator subforum is actually a good thing. For me realistic simulations like this are a third pillar of true PC gaming, together with rpg's and strategy games.

Angthoron

Arcane
:necro:

So today a bro brought it up to my attention that this thing is about to be released. Having had a blast in Eurotrucker 2, I thought why the heck not and bought this. 600 MB later (Optimization what what?), my bro and I are co-oping a haulin' drive.

Impressions so far: If you thought ET2 was too softcore, this is for you. You'll be stuck in the mud, cursing at that fucking rock, and wondering who the fuck thought driving there was a good idea - until you see someone's house and be like OH SO FOR THESE GUYS IT'S EVERY DAY LIFE HOLY FUCK. And you'll use Winch function a lot. Spider Truck, oh yes.

Is it fun though? So far, I'd say yeah. So far, after about an hour of spintiring, we're starting to get the hang of it, some good laughs were had with winchin' each other out of the mud with amusing results. Runs pretty well, graphics are quite nice, connecting was rather fast and painless.

Sadly, I had to step away and somehow DCed while being tabbed out. Out of sadness, my comrade truck drowned himself :(

Uj7MaPu.jpg

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

A small tip for all who are lost in this game: If you are stuck, you must open the map (F1) and click the garage to be able to continue. Works only in casual mode.
There is also a winch but I still have problems with it. The interface is bad, camera control is atrocious. But all in all a great game, where casual already feels quite hard already.

Angthoron

Arcane
The camera is pretty bad, yeah.

But the winch is actually quite easy:

To activate, hit V, then click on one of the active points on your truck (2 in the front, 1 in the back, usually, can be more), then click on one of the active points that may be around - larger trees, solid rocks, co-player truck. After this is done, you can just hit F to reel yourself or your partner in. IF you want to use the engine while reeling in, hit V again to disable advanced mode and activate the drive mode.

Also, there's a metric fuckton of mods out there already.

Burning Bridges

I haven't figured out what I have to do to progress in this game. I have uncloaked 2 areas by going into some sort of black twister. I also got to my objective two times before fuel ran out.
Do I need to go to the logs first and then to the objective? So far everything seems trial and error. Also the twister thing is pretty stupid, it's not on XBox for nothing.
The game has lot so of potential though but it is needlessly frustrating and a lot of the difficulty comes not from the driving but from the lack of information.

Angthoron

Arcane
Twister thing? Whaddya mean?

And yeah, you need to get to the lumber yard with a lumber truck, load up, drive to objective, unload. Very basic at the moment.

Burning Bridges

No wonder I failed every time because I drove to the objective right away.

By the way, I get similar vibes from The Hunter. So that could be interesting to you too. Being in a forest and such

I just managed to find the lumber and also, how to refuel. I it's fun, but lots of try and error

Great I cannot load the logs because I need a trailer :( fuck this

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Could you tell me which truck with which equipment I need, to progress with the first mission, (plains)? It's fun but I don't like learning by mistake so much.

Angthoron

Arcane
Could you tell me which truck with which equipment I need, to progress with the first mission, (plains)? It's fun but I don't like learning by mistake so much.
I can't recall which map we played last time, so I'm of little help with specifics, but it's a truck that you can install a crane to. We unlocked it by exploring, just drove up, and there it was, basically ready to use. I'll let you know once I fire it up again.

The one I used last was the one at the screencap of this video: http://www.onlinenewsvideo.net/spin...ging-truck-gameplay-30-minutes_1139a270f.html

But I think any truck with a sufficient-size carriage should take it.

Burning Bridges

And if it don't I'm fucked:rpgcodex: like the one's I chose, the last one had a crane too but no carriage

I'm probably already too much concerned with successes, the game seem more built for the experience. I think I will play it with my brother who is an ex-driver of such east trucks.

Burning Bridges

What really strange is that a game with such advanced programming has such a 5$ keyboard setup.
The simulation part is like playing Quake for the first time (simply exhiliarating), but the input .. oh Dear

Angthoron

Arcane
Yeah, apparently that will be patched in post-launch, apparently they were trying to make their deadline or something.

The way I see this game, it's (currently) more of a "hiking sim" rather than a goal-oriented thing. I hope they add that too though, having an offroad cargo company would be pretty awesome.

please can you rename this topic with something else silly as in codex tradition? every time i open the page of the sims games i keep reading "sphincters".

Burning Bridges

The developer won an intel award but cannot into savegames. Like a true console game everything is autosaved and once you switch to another map your whole progress is lost.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom