Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Tech Support Speaking of music - External sound card

Discussion in 'SCIENCE!!' started by Gondolin, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    My computer case is relatively small and I really don't have the space for an internal sound card. Right now I'm using a Xonar U5 and Sennheiser 598, but I wouldn't mind a reasonably priced upgrade.

Also, I kinda want a portable player. Something that can play FLAC, ALAC, APE and WAV files, preferably up to 24/96.

What does the Codex recommend?

^ Top  
  2. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    How many inputs, how many outputs? You need a quality microphone preamp and bundled software too?

^ Top  
  3. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    I rarely use a microphone. Gaming is not important either, I'm not into shooters or multiplayer stuff. The main purpose of the external sound card is to provide me with sweet music.

Sorry, should've specified all this from the beginning.

^ Top  
  4. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    ok, these are pretty low requirements. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about the specifics of the interface you're buying. Every dollar you invest there would have been better invested in loudspeakers or acoustical treatment of your room.
    Just buy something that looks decent on your desktop, isn't some cheap ass chinese noname brand, has a volume knob and provides balanced stereo outputs.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. abijagender: ⚧ Arbiter

abija
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Gondolingender: ⚧ Arcane

Gondolin
    Parrots:
    Thanks. I much prefer headphones over loudspeakers, though.

^ Top  
  7. Severian Silkgender: ⚧ Guest

Severian Silk
    I bought a Hercules Game Theater XP once. Too bad it was PCI and doesn't have recent drivers. Now it's just useless junk.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    The komplete audio 6 is a great interface (a friend of mine was/is amongst its developers), but overkill indeed. It's an interface meant for use in semi professional recording studios. You pay for stuff like low noise/low distortion/high gain microphone preamps and low latency mixing/routing of multiple 96k in/outs.
    As I said in this thread, only in high end setups is the D/A converter the weakest link in the signal chain. I think for the same price of the NI interface, you could instead get a dedicated usb headphone amp like this https://www.amazon.com/Cambridge-Au...=UTF8&qid=1503823111&sr=8-15&keywords=usb+dac and spend the rest on some quality headphones (if you don't already have a pair).
    Or if you want to be a bit more flexible, you can spend some extra bucks for a recording interface like this https://www.thomann.de/de/presonus_audiobox_ione.htm so you can use speakers and headphones in parallel and if you ever want to step up your game as a youtube let's player, you have an okayish microphone preamp as well.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. I'm With Her Snorkackgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Snorkack
    Parrots:
    And yeah, don't buy Hercules.

^ Top  
  10. Sodafishgender: ⚧ Arcane

Sodafish
    Parrots:
    If quality music playback is your priority then I can recommend iFi products (https://ifi-audio.com/). They do a range of DACs - the "nano" series are the most affordable. I have the micro iDSD and it's amazing, but may be more than you want to spend. It will play pretty much any digital format under the sun, and it also has a battery so can be used either wired or portably as required (the nano has this feature too).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. 60hzgender: ⚧ Educated

60hz
    Parrots:
    This is a project close to something I am still drafting.

My fucking car DVD player doesn't play FLAC, and it is a deck that you really don't want to change out for aftermarket, because you lose a lot of the on-board computer functionality as it is designed to pass through THAT unit. Also, I want something more robust than a USB OTG to hook up to my phone, because as you probably know Bluetooth for music sucks pretty bad acoustically and I prefer an analog line out to USB for this.

Basically, I want a shitty $ony dream machine without the bulk of the clock.

Raspberry Pi, man.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)