Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Graphics looks fine for the budget.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Looks OK to me, obviously budget, but fine. Just some things look actually bad like using straight up photos for some things like the washing machines and the laundry. Hopefully that gets changed or at least it's not very common. Stuff like that just screams amateurish rather than budget.

Edit: Still looks better than Borken Age and will most likely be a better game lulz.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1654700

Pump house madness, Nurbs Landing, Hose Zar, Nurbs Bar, new theme music!

Time for another SpaceVenture update. Got some really exciting stuff to show you all. Guys we are going full throttle trying our absolute best to get the game done by November. Fingers crossed, we still have some moons that need to line up, but we are well on our way.

The game script is getting closer as well and we are talking with the Los Angeles voice studio that we will be using to record our voice actors in. Speaking of which, all our original voice actors(minus Gary Owens for obvious sad reasons) are still on board for voicing characters in the game. We haven't chosen our new narrator, but that should be ironed out in the near future.

2908627c28d4a7c1f89e0805116eeb5e_original.png

a55ad2a29d5b3174803e4c9b3deebb32_original.png

The pump room scene takes us down into a hidden level within the TGFA's space dome. Not to be too spoilery here, but Ace gets a call from the Two Guys to Fix an issue with their in-dome pool (actually more of a lagoon). Rooter(under player control) ends up being the brains behind solving this puzzle though as he lends a hand, er, paw in helping Ace make the repair.

One fun behind the scenes fact about this scene is that it was actually the very first puzzle that was planned for the game, although it actually happens way later in the story. I hope you guys are as excited to see it come to a reality as we are! Special thanks to one of our artists, Patrick Parish, for working so hard on this.

Just a little warning on the video, we've disabled a few things that would completely spoil some of what happens here, but rest assured, there will be a few more things happening in the scene when you see it in game. For one, that big display you see in the background will be important to the task at hand. The mechanics for this scene are already in place, programming and all!

b96202474b0ceb6dbfb162b0b7911521_original.png

b706d385e8f4ee0120ad5e49540d2e0d_original.png

I believe I have mentioned before that this area of the game is a location that I have been the most excited about since the original game design for SpaceVenture. Just so you know, that has not changed! As you can see, the artwork for this area is just absolutely beautiful. Mark Crowe as Art Director and Artist Patrick Parish have done a phenomenal job on all the art assets for the "Nurb's" area of the game. This area is bound to bring back nostalgic thoughts of your time in the Space Quest games.

A little warning on what you are seeing here. We have a lot of surprises in store for different ships and Aliens that will be seen in this area. Another fun aspect of this area is that you will be able to return to it throughout the game and depending on when you are there, you will experience different creatures.

e5f26112633c5e0fe093a364d8d7ed19_original.jpg

c11bed7dbd6015110159dec74676b4ce_original.png

"Don't get hosed, see the Zar!"

Nurb, being quite the space faring entrepreneur, not only owns a bar, but also owns a hose shop. Why a hose shop in the middle of no where? The real question is why not! Ace will be needing to pay a visit to the Hose Zar shop in order to continue in a certain portion of the game that I won't mention right now as to not spoil some of the experience for you all. Let's just say, it will definitely be worth your while to "see the Zar" at some point during the game.

c61bf50697f68f574057b1d1f533d14f_original.jpg

8fd4bbc591440fd09b37d2745b971fa1_original.png

f84b12c2602e4ec4903addc4d705ba61_original.png

Bound to be one of the most memorable scenes in the entire game, it has been hard for me to hold this scene back. The team has almost had a bit to much fun putting this scene together. Nurb's bar will be packed full of SciFi pop culture references, with gorgeous artwork to boot.

The bar is where Ace will be given an opportunity to catch up with some of us buddies and enjoy some conversation in the goings on throughout the galaxy. This is also where you will meet one of my favorite characters of all, "Url".

Note on the below content. We have put no where near the characters and props in the scene that we have planned. The bar may look a bit empty right now, but it won't be in the very near future. Also, when playing SpaceVenture, be sure to revisit this area often to see all the different patrons that are hanging around.

4555024ecf257ed28725981c23c3def7_original.jpg

6caedd59026ee32f34d6c29bebe4856b_original.jpg

123f1269b7ca3d50eed3a9c8f34f9221_original.jpg

2f6e2fe05b2a29a2a12d0f1cc1e50c32_original.png

To the right of the bar scene is a corridor that leads to a room called the "Wall of Fame". As promised, the game will feature a "Wall of Fame". This area will be connected to Nurb's bar. $750 and higher backers should have received an email from us in regards to this. If you did not receive that email, please contact us on Kickstarter. Please DO NOT comment on the update regarding not receiving the email, please contact us via private Kickstarter message.

We hope to give you guys a glimpse of this scene in the near future :)

759ebe9204f1440f0672911d0075f534_original.jpg

6116e2bf1f8bf679d9e4d5601f47e0cb_original.png

Remember the beautiful theme music that was put together for SpaceVenture. Our composer, Ken Allen, added some more polish to it. He is using the same music libraries in this version that movie composers use. This version is what we plan to use when SpaceVenture ships! We thought you all would like to have a listen to it.

9c7039d0b25069da88f0f692e885960c_original.png

Some of you guys pledged at a level that allows you to vote on concept art and death sequences. We've got some concept art for some aliens as well as a bit of the end of the game that we will soon be voting on. As for death sequences, there are still quite a few of those that need to go into the game, and we will be allowing voting for that in the not so distant future as well.

e303ec64b057e36d3be4a266d414676e_original.png

EPISODE 31 OF THE BI-WEEKLY PODCAST BY THE SPACE QUEST HISTORIAN
As CyberCedric is off to broaden his musical horizons (which can only end badly), the Historian interviews avid adventure game player and fellow podcaster Robert Menes of the Nostalgia Roadtrip podcast (soundcloud.com/nostalgiaroadtrip) about his favorite adventure games. Also on the show, more crowdfunding tips from Serena Nelson, and more music talk with Brandon Blume, Ken Allen and James Mulvale.

LISTEN IN ITUNES or THE RSS FEED HERE

73232626b66af5ed93bb29cb3d76d56f_original.jpg

Thanks for all of your support everyone!

Chris Pope a.k.a your humble local intergalactic SpacePope

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1742324

November 2016 Update

Hey everyone, we wanted to give you all an update and let you know the status of things. Most of you have probably guessed that the game is still not quite ready yet, there is no beating around the bush on that. We wanted to let you know where everything stands at the moment.

First off, we are still moving full force at finishing the game as quickly as possible. Nothing has changed there. We absolutely hate making excuses, but we know you all are wondering what is going on. The game is still being worked on everyday, but obviously we are gonna need more time. We are reluctant to set another exact day, because there are a few variables that have to be figured out. One being the fact that SAG-AFTRA(Actors union) is currently on strike and the majority of our voice cast is SAG-AFTRA members. We are not blaming the strike for the reason the game is still not ready, only that it is one of the variables that need to be worked out. Hopefully the strike will get wrapped up in the coming weeks and we can get our voice cast in the studio and record.

Secondly, working out the end of the game has taken longer than expected as well. Some art is still being finalized and the last puzzle mechanics are needing some TLC as well. We also still have some creative death sequences(which we know Space Quest fans love) to work out. We still plan to let you guys(that backed at a high enough level) vote on these along with some artwork voting stuff very soon.

One of the biggest reasons for falling behind this year is due to having to go back and work out a lot of bugs. We definitely still plan to beta test the game with backers that backed at a high enough level, but we want to work out the obvious bugs first. Some of you out there that have worked in game development before probably know one of the pitfalls that can happen. It can be summed up in four words, readjusting previously working code. If not, I'll shed some light on what we've experienced.

SpaceVenture is laid out in four major sections, almost like chapters, because you can re-visit most areas. There are lots of mini sequences that connect three of the four sections together. One being the fact that we want you to be able to travel between pieces of the game freely. Think along the lines of Space Quest 3,4, and 5. The first section of the game is the Nostradamus area that we showcased a teeny bit of in our demo a couple of years back. Once we completed that section we moved to the next, and then next, etc..

The majority of the game is being created on top of our custom built event system that was made through the Unity engine. The event system allows us to tell the characters and scene elements to do anything we want without having to "re-invent the wheel" by reprogramming the same types of code over and over. As we've reached the scenes nearing the end of the game, we've had to adjust the code of the event system to allow for newer features. This is because we want SpaceVenture to be a unique experience from start to finish and not feel like a hidden objects game.

In changing code and adding new features, this introduced lots of bugs in scenes that were finalized earlier in the game. Going back to earlier sections of the game and ironing out all the wrinkles has been a huge undertaking. We know that a lot of you are excited about beta testing as well. We are getting close to that point, but need to get this obvious bugs worked out first.

HOW THE PROJECT IS DOING FINANCIALLY

We have been pushing VERY hard to keep our belts tight throughout the entire process of working on SpaceVenture, but as you can probably imagine, things are getting down to the wire. The Cluck Yegger game did help bring some funds into the project which is good. Cluck Yegger has been selling on Steam and in the Apple iOS store, but we've made a pretty good chunk of change by selling it on bundle websites, such as this one.

Ultimately, we still have the funds for our rewards/shipping(as we estimated), along with our voice actors and paid team members. We have had a couple of artists and programmers that have been willing to work for credits in the game so that has helped move us forward as well. Needless to say though, we are working extremely hard to get this game out quickly so we do not run out of funds. The good news is, we are close!

AN UPDATE ON SCOTT MURPHY

Some of you may know that Scott Murphy had a really bad year in 2015. He addressed some of this in a blog post that can be found here. 2016 has not been any better for Scott as he has had some big health problems that has affected his quality of life. Unfortunately, this has severely hindered his ability to work with the SpaceVenture team. Mark and myself have done our best to keep everything moving towards the finish line, but needless to say, it has been hard without having our third partner. Let me make it clear, that we do NOT blame the fact that the game is still not finished on Scott. But we did want you all to know that he has had to take some time away to work out the things he is dealing with.

From the game being completed perspective, the good news is that with the exception of some final grammar edits, the script is done. The game design has been done for awhile now. We are really pulling for Scott to get back on his feet and rejoin the team full time.

I know I'm being very vague in my above comments regarding Scott. This is because I don't feel like it's my place to share his personal challenges. Hopefully, he can address everything in another blog post for you all at some point. We hope you all will be understanding of him and his privacy.

WHEN WILL THE GAME BE RELEASED?

We are reluctant to give another exact release date, but I can tell you that we are close guys. We just need to work out the last few variables that I mentioned above and we will have this game in the can. No one is more excited to have the game done then us. We have enjoyed working on it, but you can imagine the amount of stress involved here. We hate knowing that we have disappointed so many people. It pains us to know that you all gave us money and we have still yet to deliver the product in this amount of time. We hope you all will stay positive, we need as much positivity thrown our way as possible right now.

ARTWORK FROM THE FINAL SCENES

We don't have as much to show you as I would like due to a huge part of our time being focused on fixing bugs in the game. We also are gonna try and not be too spoilery here because what I'm about to show you happens in the final sequence of the game, we'll let you draw your own conclusions.

be1c9396c8626249e5993a6a131bfc1b_original.png

Here is another look at a scene that we've not shown you before. It is in a close to being finished state, but the artwork is still having final details added.

82ecfafc791c8a76d8716df24e326a3a_original.png

EPISODE 39 OF THE BI-WEEKLY PODCAST BY THE SPACE QUEST HISTORIAN

This is it! The end. The REAL end! After 12 ‘real’ episodes and 4 Xtra episodes, season 3 finally rolls to a close. There’s some special bloopers and outtakes from the season, as well as finally capping off the Music Talk with Brandon Blume, James Mulvale, and Ken Allen, as well as the ‘merits of the Space Quest series’ chat with Francisco Gonzalez. See you around the chronostream!

LISTEN IN ITUNES or THE RSS FEED HERE

8cded5dab16d4c5ff4af0463a4ebb756_original.jpg

Boleskine

Arcane
Wired Magazine: "Thanks for Nothing, Videogames: The 2016 Vaporware Awards"

SpaceVenture
Announced: May 2012
Purported Release Date: TBD

2012 was an exciting year for fans of classic point-and-click adventure games. Well, exciting until we realized how long we’d have to wait for the games we Kickstarted to show up. Compared to this game, inspired by and from the makers of Sierra’s classic Space Quest series, Broken Age‘s development was done in a jiffy. The latest update to SpaceVenture says that the game is “close,” but also notes that the game’s voiceover lines can’t be recorded until the SAG-AFTRA strike against videogame makers is over. In space, no one can hear your exasperated sighs.

:greatjob:

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Wired Magazine: "Thanks for Nothing, Videogames: The 2016 Vaporware Awards"

SpaceVenture
Announced: May 2012
Purported Release Date: TBD

2012 was an exciting year for fans of classic point-and-click adventure games. Well, exciting until we realized how long we’d have to wait for the games we Kickstarted to show up. Compared to this game, inspired by and from the makers of Sierra’s classic Space Quest series, Broken Age‘s development was done in a jiffy. The latest update to SpaceVenture says that the game is “close,” but also notes that the game’s voiceover lines can’t be recorded until the SAG-AFTRA strike against videogame makers is over. In space, no one can hear your exasperated sighs.

:greatjob:

"Over the past month, two of the videogame industry’s Longest Development Time award contenders were actually released within days of each other: Final Fantasy XV and The Last Guardian, originally announced in 2006 and 2009 respectively."

Somebody should set the record straight with these guys.

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1835581

Update: A walk around the Two Guys From Andromeda Space Dome

Greetings and salutations SpaceVenture backers. We have another update here for you. First off, as always, we want to make sure everyone knows we are still pushing hard to get SpaceVenture out. A lot of you have made it clear you're chomping at the bit ready for the game to be done. We hear you and are working extremely hard to get the game done as fast as possible. In the past we have let you guys know some of the things that have slowed us down. If you aren't familiar with those things, please take a look back at some of the previous updates.

Lately, we have been silent in the comments section of our Kickstarter page. That being said, there are some things that we would like to quickly address here so you know our thoughts. You all have every right to speak negatively or critically on some of the causes of the delay to the game. We hope you all realize that none of the team ever expected things to go on as long as they have. A lot of folks probably check in on the project on occasions and get upset when they notice the game is still not complete. Those same people can push the game from their mind and not worry about it again until they decide to check back in. The team lives with this day in and day out. Everyone on the team cannot wait for the day that the weight of the game is lifted from our shoulders. That is not to say we haven't enjoyed working on SpaceVenture, and that we don't appreciate the fact that you backers gave us this opportunity. None of us regret working on the game. This has been an experience that we will never forget. We just hope you understand that there is real stress in getting it out, and hope you will continue to be patience with us. We are all real people with real life stuff going on, and we are taking the responsibility of getting the game completed very seriously.

In saying all that, we aren't asking you not to criticize or say negative things. You have every right to. We only hope you will understand that we are not purposely trying to make the process any slower. We want the game complete probably more then anyone. One of the main reasons it has been a slow process is because of the high quality we are aiming for.

We are very much aware that we keep missing deadlines. We are pushing as hard as we possibly can to not keep up this pattern, but hope you all will understand that we are not going to give another deadline out until we finish a lot of the items that are listed below.

Rest assured, we will complete SpaceVenture. It has been slow going, but this will not be one of those Kickstarters that get abandoned. Again, thank you so much for the patience.

So what is the status of the game?

• The last few scenes in the game that have puzzle related material are still in the works. There is some artwork that still needs to be finalized and some puzzle mechanics to work out.
  • We have a few cutscenes that are still slated to be completed, including the game ending
  • There are a few death sequences that are still in the works for Ace. Some of which will be voted on by backers hopefully very soon.
  • Most scenes have gone through the polish process artwork wise, but still have to pass through testing for bugs before we go into full beta testing.
  • Music for most areas of the game are added where music is warranted. There are still a couple of scenes that need music including the last areas of the game as well as the ending sequence
  • Sound effects have been added for the large majority of the game, but there are still a few areas left to complete
  • The vast majority of "look" messages are added to the game with exception to the last few scenes
  • Voice over has not been recorded but we are in the process of selecting the correct voice actors for all the parts in the game, and will hopefully have news on that coming up.
THE TWO GUYS FROM ANDROMEDA SPACEDOME

Going as far back to the original Kickstarter pitch with our playable concept art pieces, we showed you all of a Two Guys From Andromeda Space dome idea. There is a whole sequence of the game in which Ace Hardway gets a call from none other then the Two Guys themselves involving their in-dome swimming pool/lagoon. Ace eventually makes his way to the dome only to find that the Two Guys haven't exactly made it easy for him to get to where he needs to be in order to fix the problem.

This is image of the old artwork for the Dome that was put together in the Kickstarter campaign:

d9d469e9aabfaf3d0c40aacd45fe9392_original.png

Below is a look at the huge artwork revamp that has been done on the Space Dome. This is how the dome currently looks in game:

68385276b44d674fa9e69390c0a22459_original.jpg

One of our SpaceVenture artists, Patrick Parish, worked hard with direction from Mark on making this scene look absolutely amazing.

5be951e6539de28106d066a409c286a6_original.jpg

This sequence of the game has quite of bit of hilarious content we think all of you will enjoy, not to mention some huge plot points that will take place. The dome has gone through a massive overhaul artwork wise that we hope all of you will love. Check out the exploration video below.

EXPLORING SOME OF THE DOME

This video features a fun new tune by our composer Ken Allen.

NOTE that this video is fuzzy due to compression, and parts of the scenes are still a work in process.

THE TGFA LAB

After finally meeting the Two Guys in person, Ace will need to make his way down below the interior of the dome into the pump house to repair the pool/lagoon. In order to get to the pump house, Ace will need to pass through the Two Guys development lab. The lab happens to be the place where the Two Guys design and work on their latest projects.

Things can get real spoilery here so we aren't gonna say too much about what to expect, but we thought you guys would like to have a look at the scene itself.

7b62ff19f5d00618abfe0c691c1d8ca8_original.png

UPDATE ON VERONICA

We've mentioned Veronica to you guys a few times in the past. We also got quite a bit of feedback from you all on how you felt involving Veronica. Veronica is meant to be a strong female character in SpaceVenture that plays a pretty important roll in solving the mystery of some of the story line going on around Ace.

Here is how Veronica used to look in early concept art:

3b4c22bed93aec47f0c6386530174958_original.jpg

Here is a look at Veronica as she is scene right now. Keep in mind, she isn't wearing any of the outfits here that are planned for her in game.

0b2160f314bf8d967e4895cf538fca97_original.png

Considering Veronica's line of work, she will be seen wearing different outfits in different scenes of the game. Her outfits are one of the artwork elements we have left to complete. Some of you backers backed at a high enough level to vote on concept pieces for SpaceVenture. We plan to let you all vote for which outfits you like, and the ones that are selected will be the ones that she wears in game.

Here is a glimpse of one of the concept pieces to be voted on:

3d657db2c55632af2e9c32408220549a_original.png

Be on the look out for a survey request involving Veronica's outfits.

NEW DIARY ENTRIES ON SVREWARDS

Mark posted a diary entry on the SVRewards website involving what it takes to put together a 2.5D scene in Unity, such as the Space Dome. There is also a blooper video involving Rooter posted up there as well. All $30 and up backers can go have a look at that. Here is a sneak peak of an image he posted. The image will also link you straight to the website as well.

http://svrewards.com

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Looks pretty good. I really like Rooker's walking animation.

And yes, R5 astromech droids are really only useful as laundry baskets.

It's kind of sad with the amount of time and resources they've had that it will likely not come out, or if it does, probably be very underwhelming.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Only 10 more micro-issues remain. Plus 57 redesigns of the title screen!

Boleskine

Arcane
This backer brought up some interesting points I've also wondered about.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...que/comments?cursor=17163171#comment-17163170

Even if they wanted the "flashy 3D graphics" for some reason, it's still ridiculous.

Look at Tex Murphy: Project Fedora (Tesla Effect). Kickstarter finished roughly the same time SpaceVenture's did, for a pretty ambitious game. FMV adventure sequences, coupled with exploration and puzzle solving in a full 3d world with keyboard/mouse navigation (and even a golf simulator).

Game's produced by the experienced producers (and talent) behind Access Software's titles back in the day, and the game comes out more or less as expected after a shortish delay in May 2014.

Very well-polished, just like a retail release would have been back in the late 90s (only with 4K video and modern conveniences).

The problem here, is Scott and Mark got mixed up with some promoter/publicist that apparently wanted to try playing Ken Williams. The problem that immediately became apparent is he had no clue what he was doing, nor did anyone have control over project management/scheduling.

I mean, wtf? The first thing "Space Pope" (dunno who these Wikipedia "fans" are that call him that) does is start running around the country to every random comic-con/anime/game convention and spending money on various tchotchke like plastic "ID cards" and whatnot.

Meantime, here we are more than 5 years later with broken pledges, bullshit 'updates' like blaming the limited Voice Actor strike (against a handful of specific companies, of which GuysFromAndromeda is not one) for not having progress to show, long gaps between saying anything (despite all the promises of 'insider updates' in the Kickstarter) and a crappy Five Nights ripoff to show for it all.

This is the backed project that will forever stand as a reminder to myself not to get swept up in the wave of nostalgia-fueled fervor when handing over my credit card.

What exactly does Chris Pope do? If he's supposed to be a business guy or manager, he's done a terrible job. Why did Mark and Scott need an inexperienced middleman on this project anyway?

In hindsight it does seem like "Space Pope" took advantage of Mark and Scott's return to indirectly promote himself and use the project budget to travel to different conventions (the kickstarter updates from 2012 and 2013 showed some of this). His wikipedia is hilarious:

John Christopher "Chris" Pope (born May 20, 1978) is an internet personality, video game developer, producer, social media professional, podcaster, and business owner.

Maybe development would have gone better if Mr. Producer/developer/personality/professional hadn't been around to presumably influence Mark and Scott's decisions and creative process (or use some of the funds on multiple, pointless, expensive cross-country flights).

Boleskine

Arcane

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Cool, soon they will announce the date on which they will announce the update. And they're working on "things".

Everything looks fine to me.

Last edited:

Boleskine

Arcane
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...re-by-the-creators-of-space-que/posts/1939655

Project Progress as of July 2017
13 Comments

QUICK RUN DOWN OF THINGS STILL IN PROGRESS:

• Last scenes in the game are still being worked on.
  • Along with polishing scenes, we are debugging certain areas in the game that haven't seen a lot of TLC since the early days of the project.
  • Cutscenes that needed to be added are currently still in the works but we've completed more since the last update.
  • We are still looking to set an exact date on VO recording and will announce that as soon as possible. We will also announce more info on the voice actors signed on to the project when that time comes.
  • We know you all are ready for a release date. We'll have that out as soon as we can. As you can probably imagine, we are hesitate to throw out another release date.
We are working as hard as fast as we can and promise this game will get done. We do realize that a lot of you are angry and we are doing our best to keep our noses to the grindstone and finish this game outright. In that regard, we aren't gonna keep saying the same things over and over again. Please read the last update if you need a review on our thoughts on it all. As always, thanks for your continued patience.

AN UPDATE ON SPACEVENTURE'S NAVIGATION SYSTEM

As mentioned in a previous update, we've worked really hard to make the SpaceVenture universe have that 'BIG' exploratory feeling that you probably got in some of the Space Quest games. In fact, we have a game developer that is dedicated just to our navigation system, that's how important we feel it is. You as the player should be able to revisit favorite areas of the game just like in the later Space Quest games.

In the video below, one thing you're gonna notice here is some different ships. In fact, when playing SpaceVenture, you'll be seeing different combinations of ships every time you return to Hyperspace. Another thing that has changed recently is the ships have much better AI. When we originally showed you all the navigation system, the ships were all just canned animations with no scripting. Now the ships actually have some AI and can respond and interact with Ace's ship as he cruises along the Hyperspace beltway.

A couple of things to note in the video. The frame rate is a bit low in the recording, sorry about that. The music you'll hear is placeholder but represents something similar that is planned for those areas of the game.

ACE GETS PULLED OVER BY OFFICER QUICKSILVER

One of the remaining cutscenes that is currently under way features Ace getting pulled over by officer Quicksilver. As you can see, the cutscene still needs a lot of work, but we thought it would be fun to show you guys one of the few remaining cutscenes that is currently being worked on right now.

MEET CENTARI CORPORATION'S EXECUTIVE STAFF

In one of the game's key cutscenes, Milo Forbin, the CEO of Centari Corp is having a executive staff meeting with his top lackeys; who appear before him as projected holograms. They are a "rogues gallery" of bad eggs from across the universe whos resemblance to any popular Sci-Fi villains from films, TV or comics is purely coincidental.

c5b12d33094d74d9de3aaf6a5b199622_original.png

WE'VE GOT BOX CONCEPT ART

For quite awhile now when needing a break from some of his other art related tasks, Mark has been working on what the SpaceVenture box is gonna look like. It's my pleasure to show you the concept art for the game box right now. A couple of things you should know about the box.. The name, SpaceVenture: Ace Quest is just a name we've been chewing on for quite a while. We have not officially decided on it yet. We would love your feedback on that. Secondly, the text on the back of the box is not meant to be readable. It's just placeholder to get a feel for the looks of the box.

8224b71bac0d51ba4e1a132381e5dd08_original.png

BEHIND THE SCENES WITH KEN ALLEN

As all of you know by now, Ken Allen worked at Sierra On-Line along with Mark and Scott. He also created music for multiple Sierra games, Space Quest 4 being among one of the most notable. Ken has put together a little behind the scenes footage for all of you regarding how he does sound design for certain pieces of the game. This footage demonstrates Ken doing sound for part of the Taco Nova sequence of the game.

MEET MARK CROWE AND CHRIS POPE AT SOME UPCOMING CONVENTIONS

c88a149ef7050869cb5b648544f1aab0_original.png

JULY 21ST - 23rd

Chris Pope the Space Pope will be a guest at this years AVCon in Adelaide AU July 21st - 23. Come by and meet him in person. Be sure to haggle him about why the game is not done yet! Chris will be armed with some collectible keycards.

11f88f6ed2c93e11f73003106c116f67_original.jpg

AUGUST 11TH - 13TH

Mark Crowe and Chris Pope will both be guests at Game On Expo in Phoenix Arizona. Come by and meet them both and join them for some fun discussions/panels.

NOTE: these convention appearances are paid for by the conventions. No money from the project is being used for these appearances.

Fizzii

Crystal Shard
Developer
Chris Pope the Space Pope will be a guest at this years AVCon in Adelaide AU July 21st - 23. Come by and meet him in person.
Nice to see local ratepayers' money being well spent on flying him all the way over here to Australia. Heck, I could've made an appearance and it would have been for free given I'm local :P

Actually, that's probably a bad idea given I'd be too boring to make any sort of impression on anyone. And I'm too cheap to spend $40 - $60 on a pass!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
lol, that's not good. Do they have a trademark?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom