Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SpaceVenture - Space Quest spiritual successor by Two Guys from Andromeda

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You're getting to suejak levels of retardation. Just so you know.

Not that being nostalgic for that is bad, but it's retarded to claim that to be the reason. Sorry, Infinitron, but you're a newfag both in adventures and in RPGs and act like the typical newfag who thinks people like old stuff only because of nostalgia.

:hmmm:

This current 'new' generation of Adventure Games have a very 'smooth' quality to them. Something that really stood out for me in DFA, and also in this...its something I don't know if I like. Older AG's tended to have a bit of 'clunkyness' to them, which was awesome. You didn't have to click in the EXACT right spot to do something...the interface had a bit of weight to it

What does this sound like he's describing?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
I don't know how to explain it.

I do. You're nostalgic for 320x200 resolution.

I think if there is something I don't embrace, its the older resolutions. ;) Im certainly not a nostalgic adventure game player-if I was I wouldn't be creating a game that embraces high resolution, highly detailed graphics.

Its not that, its a feeling that the games have. Older games had a snappiness to them that these more recent games have replaced with a smoothness. The characters walk slower, the interfaces fade in an out at an almost lazy pace. They look and feel less...responsive.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't know how to explain it.

I do. You're nostalgic for 320x200 resolution.

I think if there is something I don't embrace, its the older resolutions. ;) Im certainly not a nostalgic adventure game player-if I was I wouldn't be creating a game that embraces high resolution, highly detailed graphics.

Its not that, its a feeling that the games have. Older games had a snappiness to them that these more recent games have replaced with a smoothness. The characters walk slower, the interfaces fade in an out at an almost lazy pace. They look and feel less...responsive.

Well then, you do know how to explain it. Though that doesn't really relate to not having to be precise with your mouse cursor, to the interface having weight or to "clunkyness", I think.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Well then, you do know how to explain it. Though that doesn't really relate to not having to be precise with your mouse cursor, to the interface having weight or to "clunkyness", I think.

Its purely a feeling. The precise cursor thing for example, in the video a page ago. You have to kind of 'drag' your item to something...there is no 'snap' to it, no weight in the item you are using.
Something like that could be fixed in a few ways. Having the portrait of the item in the inventory as one graphic, and when you drag it out it changes into a more 'in game' specific representation. That 'unscrew the panel' puzzle is a perfect example. As the head type hovers over the hole, it should change angle so that it looks like its trying to fit in there. Add in some clicky sounds, and perhaps an animation of it spinning.

I know this is alpha, and is missing a ton of shit-but if you release something about your game, and its the only thing you can judge the game by, thats what people are going to judge it by.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Which goes back to my statement that releasing anything this early on is a mistake, and it should have been polished.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Which goes back to my statement that releasing anything this early on is a mistake, and it should have been polished.

Eh, all of the big Kickstarter RPGs have beta and sometimes alpha backer tiers. If you can't handle the production quality of an alpha version, maybe you should just not touch 'em.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Yeah. I actually think it looks very promising to be honest. This is ridiculously early in the process to be judging things like how smooth it is or how responsive it feels. Whether it was smart of them to release it to backers or not doesn't really change anything. If you are too stupid to realize this is a very early unpolished product, that is your own fault. It is what it is. The alpha of a demo.

The swipe thing might be gimmicky and declinish, but as long as it's implemented well and more responsive than now (it most certainly will be) I think it'll be fine.

The art, music, and the general tone are exactly what I was looking for. It feels very two guys-ish. I'm pretty excited actually.

Can't wait to hear Gary Owens narrating my spaceventure and making me feel like a fool.

suejak

Arbiter
Patron
Village Idiot
Gary Owens: "Way to go, Ace! You pushed all the crates out of the way! Don't you feel... heroic?"

jfrisby

Cipher
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I thought the 3D characters/animations actually felt surprisingly responsive (when they worked), compared to Moebius or some other recent adventures. I didn't really feel the need for a "double click to teleport" or for a Sierra-style speed bar in the menu. Mark Crowe, or whoever was responsible, got the timing right and didn't drag out the animations.. Actually thought it was one of the more encouraging aspects of the alpha.

Boleskine

Arcane
Sorry, maybe I'm being harsh. Like I said, I don't doubt the hard work of Murphy and Crowe. I just don't think Chris Pope is doing a good job of managing the PR and communication.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
Who the fuck cares about communication. They have their money, we have to wait. The game will be the game. Just get on with your life and when it comes out it'll either suck or be good.

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know Scott and Mark are working really hard on it - I do chat with Scott from time to time. you know - they really are listening to feedback. They've made improvements to the UI and how the game functions based on the reactions to the demo. Mark's been painting up some really great 2D backgrounds for the game, and even though I'm not a fan of 3D - the model for Ace really has a lot of character.

I think this game is really going to surprise some folks. I think it was kind of slow for them to find their footing again, but they're really hitting their stride now.

That said, I know community work and PR isn't really their thing, and I know people are kind of upset about the rewards page and how Chris Pope communicates about things at times. Trust me, it's not borne of ill will - Chris is one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to, but I do think they need to shape up their PR and beef up some things on that end.

I think it's going to be a great game - it's full of that funny, cynical and biting humor Scott Murphy is famous for, and that I personally love.

Bt

Boleskine

Arcane
That said, I know community work and PR isn't really their thing, and I know people are kind of upset about the rewards page and how Chris Pope communicates about things at times. Trust me, it's not borne of ill will - Chris is one of the nicest guys I've ever talked to, but I do think they need to shape up their PR and beef up some things on that end.

My issue was regarding the communication. I got a little out of hand with my criticism, but I still think the game will be fine in the end. To be honest I saw the comments on the latest update and that sort of clicked something I had been thinking for awhile.

I don't doubt the hard work and passion behind the game, but sometimes the way updates are communicated can be a little off-putting.

Last edited:

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not telling you. :P

(Essentially it was the same thing Boleskine mentioned in his other post -- Chris Pope being bad at communicating with the game's backers.)

Blackthorne

Infamous Quests
Patron
Developer
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm not exactly sure what they're changing, but I do think revisions to that have happened. I hope they'll comment more about it later.

Bt

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom