Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Wreck - post-apocalyptic space RPG inspired by Fallout

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
To be honest, META2D has still some major issues with basic stuff (e.g. z-ordering broken, culling disabled). They started to move to WebGL and full ES6 support but it got stuck somewhere.

And it has no typings for TypeScript yet, unfortunately.

I probably would chose different lib/framework until WebGL version is released.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Greetings once again!

Even though I haven't posted any updates here, I've been working on the game. It's now unlisted on itch.io because I am preparing to go from pre-EA to EA stage. I have tried to listen to few of the recommendations from you guys and updated the game - hopefully - for the better.

For example, I noticed a heated discussion in - I guess Obsidian's "The Outer Worlds" news article comments section - about skill tags and meta gaming in general in games and decided to add preferences to adjust level of meta gaming you want to have in this game. Mainly, dialogs.

options-menu-dos2lcd.gif

You don't meet the skill requirements (constant) and options to show both tags and unavailable options are on:
lcd-tags-show-unavailable.jpg

You fail the skill check, meta-gaming off:
lcd-no-tags-hide-unavailable.jpg

Here you pass the skill check with meta-gaming off:
lcd-no-tags-available.jpg

So, what do you think? I know I am far off the hardcore RPG mark in RPGCodex value scale, but still, its better than not having these options available, right? Right?

P.S.
Oh, and I added option to chose one of two UI color schemes - DOS-like white and blue (original) and new one, old LCD style - seen in these screenshots, that should be easier on your eyes. Literally one person requested this but I figured this might be good option for text heavy game.

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Since a lot of the time players will have to talk/interact and thus, spend time in dialog screen, I decided to use portraits for NPCs. It's just that I don't like the classic post-stamp style avatars you'd see around the games, so I went with this:

benny.png

agris

Arcane
Patron
Kamaz The dialogue meta options are much appreciated!

How difficult was it to add the conditional display of them, and what is your engine and GUI/text framework? XDA, Unity + ?, etc?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
It was not difficult at all - since I had New Vegas style dialogues by default, I would just hide/reduce this meta-information based on options.

I'm building the game with HTML5 tech which later I'll bundle with Electron (like, e.g., Slack does). I am using http://meta2d.com engine (however, as stated somewhere before, I do not recommend using it at this time, because it seems the development has halted on that tech :() + ELM to draw UI.

V_K

Arcane
Hand-drawn graphics have sooooo much more style to them. They immediately set your game apart from the competition, while pixel art is something everyone and their granny doing these days. If anything, I'd change the NPC sprites to look more like paper cutouts.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Hand-drawn was fugly not because of the style, but due to the mess the palette was and the inconsistent textures and strokes. While I do agree with VK that you lost character, what you gained in 'prettiness' makes-up for it.

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
I am unsure.
The pixel art one does look a bit more pleasing to the eye, i guess?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
I really liked how so called "environment objects" helped to make certain Fallout2 locations unique. That's why in "Space wreck" I am trying to use something similar. For example - this starter location now has decorations of a dilapidated space shuttle

lL2SVyM.png

Though, this is with max zoom-out. In reality players will see it a bit like this:
6G7IOWr.png

What do you think? This was meant to reduce need to describe the environment - I mean, show not tell

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Thinking of introducing smth a bit like fog-of-war for certain (not all!) maps in the game. It'd look like this:

LLBv6LX.png

OtegARm.png

Reasoning behind this is that even though you know your ship and it makes sense that you can see its layout at all times (like all maps in Fallout/Fallout2) however when you are exploring, especially dark, cramped places, you would not necessarily know what is around you farther than you can see. And you'd have to track your own location. This all, imo, adds to the feeling of adventure and exploration.

I'd apply this mechanic for game's only de facto dungeon - derelict space ship, said space wreck "Orion". Maybe also the pirate ship which you, probably, are not familiar to begin with.

What do you think?

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Dilapidated ship threading through the nothingness of space for yet another decade after catastrophic rebellion.

Weekly update for #screenshotsaturday

Context
Game is set in relatively near future where humanity is exploring the Solar system. There are no aliens, no hyperspace jumps it's like space ships we have today but better and economically more viable.

Of course, there were companies that jumped to the now available rare minerals deposits on asteroids. And this scenario is not all that far fetched - here's an article from last year about asteroid mining: https://www.sciencefocus.com/space/space-mining-the-new-goldrush/

This triggers rapid expansion and, as it usually happens, some corners get cut, some laws get...sidestepped, some basic rights - ignored. You see, space travel is very, very expensive. Once you get your miner to the asteroid, you cannot just ship him/her to Earth when it pleases.And another thing - police cannot just ship their investigators to the Belt and back, right? ...This causes humanitarian crisis that, unattended, triggers rebellion and bloody clashes with corporation forces.

After some disastrous acts of terror, corporation forces withdraw but, of course, leave rebels behind on naked space rocks with damaged and slowly decaying infrastructure. Air, water, warmth - there is nothing free in space...

Twenty years later, start the events of "Space Wreck"

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm looking forward to giving Space Wreck a try. You've come quiet a way since your initial release.
And I'm curious where the project is going from here. Do you have any projections for the road map,
such as the release of a downloadable version of Space Wreck, or a release on Early Access?
Cheers and godspeed! :salute:

Kamaz

Pahris Entertainment
Developer
Thanks!

Plan is to release stand alone downloadable "Space Wreck" on Steam, first as an Early Access.

Game atm is 100+% of initially planned content done but I am expanding and reworking bits. But currently my primary goal is to put the Steam page up; making page assets and gameplay video right now. Then I'll probably try to gain a bit more exposure, hopefully get on news somewhere, spin it up before EA release. I am also not sure when to launch EA, because, for example, Outer Worlds comes out October and I would not want be close to that. Before that all I'll probably try to organize some localized beta testing sessions to iron out glitches.

P.S. I've decided to stick just with downloadable version only, so there won't be browser version at all. Browser support is too much of a hassle and play-in-browser comes with a freemium stigma.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
It looks really cool, you got a very strong image, but doesn't convey much info on what the game is about. Perhaps move the title a few pixels up and write a small subtitle below like "an anal-probing simulationist rpg" or whatever that sounds good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom