Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers 2 Topic

Alright, this game is amazing and everyone that has played it knows this for a fact. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any games in a similar vein. I'm sure there isn't a complete package that encompasses all that is SR2, but something in the ballpark.

Also, there may be a bit of a disconnect between difficulty levels. Normal is quite easy, but on Hard, There are only five free systems left in 3302 and a severe shortage of quests.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
I never got very far in fed ex rangers 2. I would just get bored with not being able to be a space pirate very effectively (or really even at all).

Shandalar comes to mind. Yeah, it doesn't have much in common with SR but still.
And you have to like playing MTG.

Pope Amole

Educated
The only game I know that is similar to the rangers is Sid Meyer's pirates. But the problem here is that rangers are so superior to pirates that it's you can't really advice the latter to anyone who hungers for more rangery action. I mean, let's compare:

- Naval combat in pirates is similar to black hole combat in rangers (although black hole combat is not as important gameplay-wise, but nevertheless). Still, I'd say that rangers are better here, simply because there is more weapons and more tactical options. Sure, there's no wind to screw you up royally, but there still are accelerating movement lanes and gravity wells surrounded by the spikey stones, not to mention the power-ups.

- Tactical combat in pirates could be compared to either turn-based space battles in rangers or to the RTS mode. RTS mode is clearly superior - I mean, it's so much deeper than pirates' astonishing richness of 2 types of units versus 2 types of units, not to mention that you can even play the rangery RTS as an arcadish shooter and with a modicum of success, to boot! On the other hand, space battles are kinda on par with tactical battles in pirates - yeah, there's only 3 kinds of weapons viable (rokkits, atomic visions and vertixes; well, maybe also an IMHO-9000 if you're short on vertixes), but they still don't get boring that fast.

- Analogues to dancing and stealth - luckily, there's no shit like this in rangers. Really, who the hell need your stupid QTE action, and as for stealth, why would you ever use it, really? There's almost zero reasons in the game to do so.

- Trading - more interesting in rangers, because, first, there are more kinds of goods in that game, second, there's an option to smuggle things in, third, you don't have to deal with the always overly annoyed crew.

- Treasure hunting and artifacts - well, with artifacts rangers are somewhat superior to pirates, because first, artifacts in them have a broader range of uses, second, there's more ways of getting them than just farming governor's daughters and mysterious travellers. Treasure hunting is also not as annoying in rangers - sure, rewards are smaller, but you can buy the probes on your own and just scout random planets with them instead of having to gather those stupid maps.

- Duels - ok, here pirates win, there's nothing like duels in rangers, gameplay-wise. But then, it's not like the duels are that deep and cool.

- Quests - the few quests in pirates involve fun stuff like defeating the very same guy sixteen times in a row, so it's obvious that even postal quests in rangers are better due to their quirkiness (which is kinda replaced with cheesyness and sillyness in translation, so yeah). And I'm not even starting to talk about text quests there, because really, who wants to be a pirate in the caribbean when you can be a master of the ikee-baana, rock-star, pizza chef, secret agent, holocaust bomber and God knows what else in rangers 2? It's like another game in itself.

I could've also said that there are also things like stimulators, extortions, alternate ways of dealing with bosses, diseases and stuff in rangers, but at this point it should be pretty obvious that they're much deeper and richer game. Now, this comparison may look silly, I mean, who fucking cares here, but see, it's an old pain of mine - rangers 2 and the last incarnation of pirates were released in the same year and most of the major russian game magazines (back then I was still kinda young, inexperienced and soft-skinned so I paid attention) praised pirates over rangers, no, really, what the fuck was with them? It's like if this year most potatoland journalists would've said that tWitcher 2 is shit and DA 2 is the new shit - how pathetic that would've looked? That's a travesty.

Probably a good point... Pirates is the only comparison that quickly comes to mind, and it is inferior in nearly every way.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
Alright, this game is amazing and everyone that has played it knows this for a fact. I was just wondering if anyone knows of any games in a similar vein. I'm sure there isn't a complete package that encompasses all that is SR2, but something in the ballpark.

Also, there may be a bit of a disconnect between difficulty levels. Normal is quite easy, but on Hard, There are only five free systems left in 3302 and a severe shortage of quests.
Have you tried Escape Velocity Nova? It's pretty cool.

Here is Saint's review:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=69

"For those who haven't heard of the franchise, imagine Elite, Privateer, or more recently, Freelancer. Now imagine those types of games with six major story arcs and factions to join. Imagine them with capital ships like destroyers and carriers you can purchase and use to troll around space. Imagine them using sharp, well animated 2D graphics. Imagine them with reputation tracking for each faction in the game. Imagine them with tracking pilot abilities and using that as the basis for gathering missions. Imagine dozens and dozens of outfit options for your ships, including marines to help you board ships, better scanners, engine improvements, the ability to add outfit or cargo space by converting one to the other, and much more. Sound good? Well, it is. "

Vault Dweller said:
Flying Spaghetti Monster said:

Have you tried Escape Velocity Nova? It's pretty cool.

Here is Saint's review:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=69

"For those who haven't heard of the franchise, imagine Elite, Privateer, or more recently, Freelancer. Now imagine those types of games with six major story arcs and factions to join. Imagine them with capital ships like destroyers and carriers you can purchase and use to troll around space. Imagine them using sharp, well animated 2D graphics. Imagine them with reputation tracking for each faction in the game. Imagine them with tracking pilot abilities and using that as the basis for gathering missions. Imagine dozens and dozens of outfit options for your ships, including marines to help you board ships, better scanners, engine improvements, the ability to add outfit or cargo space by converting one to the other, and much more. Sound good? Well, it is. "

That sounds really interesting, I may look into it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom