Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Rangers 2 is better than all the shit RPGs you like

Doma

Augur
Space Rangers 2 is great fun. Was a bit disappointed that I didnt find it on the TOP RPGS EVER list here on the codex.

I pray for a SR3 all day.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
-Still play the hell out of this game (and the reboot version)- Not only is it a fantastic RPG/strategy game it also holds up very well for its age graphically and in its art style.

But - That intro with the space pilot drinking beer is gay as fuck.

Gremius

Augur
Great and funny game but it's balance (or bug maybe?) was an issue for me, especially much later at the game.

For one point I spent much more money on repairs (after fighting Dominators) than I earned. And for some reason on every planet I visited, they didn't had any quest for me. So I lose even more money for fuel to jump between systems hoping for quests to earn money, to the situation I was bankrupt.

That was the original, don't know how is HD version.

Besides that, I would gladly see Space Ragers 3.

Gozma

Arcane
^ there was a way of outfitting the ship to minimize repair costs (it was something like combining two different defense systems?), I remember "solving" that situation.

It's more like a Darklands for me, an extremely cool prototype with a lot of seriously bad and boring basic moment-to-moment gameplay (although unlike Darklands you can usually avoid doing the parts you don't like and still keep going, at least until the end bosses force you to play the RTS or Pac-man). Also the translation sucks unless you are a level 5 Something Awful grade ironist

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
Great and funny game but it's balance (or bug maybe?) was an issue for me, especially much later at the game.

For one point I spent much more money on repairs (after fighting Dominators) than I earned. And for some reason on every planet I visited, they didn't had any quest for me. So I lose even more money for fuel to jump between systems hoping for quests to earn money, to the situation I was bankrupt.

Hmnmmm... Did you play often? There is certainly a random element that makes some games impossible (I'm pretty sure) to even beat but that was a bit of the beauty of the game concerning its replayability. Each game was different and some were far easier than others.

So playing this again while I'm on the road...

I stand by my opening statement. This game is too damn good. The inclusion of the Pirates in the Steam version actually makes it a bit easier, though, since they tend to hold off the Dominators a bit.

WTB Space Rangers 3.

The main thing to know about finances is that any dominator equipment (indicated by the race symbol, whether its exotic stuff or bog-standard fuel tanks) can be given to research stations for 100% of their base value (normally equipment sells for something like 20-50% depending on your skills, and even luxury goods quickly fade off in value), and certain dominator equipment can be given to certain research teams for double that amount. The nodes can be given to ranger centers for credit towards Cool Stuff.

Also every time you liberate a system you should do the RTS mission for mad bux. The reward scales insanely fast, by the endgame you'll be getting 10 million credits a pop.

Quests seem to generally require some amount of "churn" in things happening, worlds being taken over or attacked by pirates, stations built, whatever. If the Dominators have taken over 90% of the systems and you are pinned in around 3 systems with a stalemate, you'll run out. Once you push the dominators back you'll have quests everywhere.

This game I denied the RTS quests. Too annoying, despite their phat payouts. I love every other element of the game, and I'm in it for pure fun, so I'd rather just not do it.

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
I tried it many years ago and generally enjoyed it, but I don't think I got as deep into it as others. What do you like about it? What are the best and most interesting parts of the game?

At one point I was arrested and thrown into prison. There was this choose your own adventure-style game in the prison all about your life, which was so much fun that I continuously committed crimes so I could get sent back. It was truly one of the best choose your own adventure games I've ever played and the goofy translation only made it more fun for me. I remember a few other choose your own adventure segments but can't recall getting far in them; I guess what I enjoyed about the prison was that there was no goal, per se, other than survival, and you could choose to spend your time however you wanted.

But I don't remember much else about the game and from what I understand there have been multiple (?) expansions since. So yeah, tell me what makes the game great.

Norfleet

Also the translation sucks unless you are a level 5 Something Awful grade ironist
Well, considering the rest of the world has had to put up with shitty translations of otherwise decent games for ages, it won't kill us to have to put up with it for a change.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I tried it many years ago and generally enjoyed it, but I don't think I got as deep into it as others. What do you like about it? What are the best and most interesting parts of the game?

At one point I was arrested and thrown into prison. There was this choose your own adventure-style game in the prison all about your life, which was so much fun that I continuously committed crimes so I could get sent back. It was truly one of the best choose your own adventure games I've ever played and the goofy translation only made it more fun for me. I remember a few other choose your own adventure segments but can't recall getting far in them; I guess what I enjoyed about the prison was that there was no goal, per se, other than survival, and you could choose to spend your time however you wanted.

But I don't remember much else about the game and from what I understand there have been multiple (?) expansions since. So yeah, tell me what makes the game great.

Ship customization was a nice goal to work on.
At first I was determined to make the best of the courier/cargo runner missions because my guns are terrible and combat seems to result in my own vessel getting blown.
Things are too expensive to buy, and components are too bulky to fit in a small starter hull, what to do?

Make space. Take out the fillers. Focus on the core.

Do you shoot the guns at all? No? Then sell them away.
Do you even tractor in anything worthwhile? No? Sell the grippers away.
Do you travel a lot? Yes. Then buy additional fuel tanks and secondary engine for swaps.
Yes, you can actually swap components in flight. And this creates a new avenues to adapt to situations.

There were also threats of piracy that kept bugging me. I wanted a way to escape those and fighting back seems impossible, hence the solution is to run away.
Buy a second engine, activate afterburners to escape from threats, extend jumps with fuel tanks to skip refueling stops and suddenly those Hard courier contracts became a mere formality.
The credits kept coming. My ship is practically carrying no guns, and is only equipped with the barest of necessity.
High speed engine with long jump distance + massive fuel tanks are my capital.
A high shielding % will discourage pirates from taking you on since they fear what they cannot scan.
Failing that, a good droid and secondary engine will aid in a quick escape.
I even invested in Charisma to gain better rewards and bought a beautiful Ship Hull that adds Charisma (HD: War Aparts addition) to further increase the cash flow.
I also drug myself up at the Medical center to improve my piloting skills.
I even kept a small saving account that gives 3% returns annually. And they give annual lucky draws. The best thing that ever came out of that is a 30k worth of Gripper that I eventually used late game to fish out those massive blobs of alien nodes.
Finally, I check the news briefly for a bargain and buy them all up if I could. Even if my hull couldn't fit I can save it in the planetary warehouse and pick it up later for profit since inflation is guaranteed.

Eventually it paid off so well I felt confident I can swap to a war machine build. I bought a 600 sized hull with +20 Missile damage and turned into a Missile Gunboat, able of fighting aliens for modest salvage and protect myself actively from pirates.

The courier missions occasionally dry up, but I need not reject a kill contract like before. I close in point blank, unload all five missile launchers at once, approximately 15 warheads detonated before he could offer me a pitiful sum of credit to let him go. It's too bad, they were paying me 10x of that. Blam. Money in the bank. Repeat.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Space Rangers 2 is kind of amazing for even existing as a game. The general gameplay loop is a Smörgåsbord of different interactions from different genres that looks great on paper but would suffer horribly when actually executed. Somehow Space Rangers 2 manages to stay in a single cohesive whole though it suffers from pacing issues mainly due to the haphazard economy and bit more direction for the player wouldn't have hurt (just a bit, figuring things out by yourself is half the fun but the game is quite obtuse and unfriendly at times, especially in the beginning). Also the RTS part was sadly the weakest, it wasn't exactly bad, it just wasn't compelling enough for a game that takes 10's of hours to experience fully. Still, I always look at it as the Deus ex of space sims.

Norfleet

Do you even tractor in anything worthwhile? No? Sell the grippers away.
no, you definitely need a tractor. Occasionally, fights break out and SHINY THINGS fall off the backs of trucks, and you will hate yourself if you cannot scoop them.

There were also threats of piracy that kept bugging me. I wanted a way to escape those and fighting back seems impossible, hence the solution is to run away.
Buy a second engine, activate afterburners to escape from threats, extend jumps with fuel tanks to skip refueling stops and suddenly those Hard courier contracts became a mere formality.
Oh, and the best weapon for both escaping and fighting back early are those rocket launchers. They're often quite small and take up little space, and have very long range so you can engage in the classic Space Game staple: Firing while running away. It can also create a massive wall of missiles that can maul your enemy before he realizes he's being attacked. Did I mention they take up very little space? They also outrange everything, as you can open fire and begin unloading missiles before your enemy is even on the screen.

A high shielding % will discourage pirates from taking you on since they fear what they cannot scan.
It is also remarkably difficult to get a high shielding percent, especially when you cannot even buy decent shield generators because none are for sale. NEEDS MOAR MISSILES.

I also drug myself up at the Medical center to improve my piloting skills.
Costs too much money, duration is too short, and piloting skills barely matter when the first thing your opponent will be struck by when seeing your ship is missiles. Lots of missiles. USE MOAR MISSILES!

Eventually it paid off so well I felt confident I can swap to a war machine build. I bought a 600 sized hull with +20 Missile damage and turned into a Missile Gunboat, able of fighting aliens for modest salvage and protect myself actively from pirates.
That's more like it. But really, you don't need a special hull to spam missiles and by the time you're ready to go into war mode because they're finally selling actual hulls, you're probably beyond missiles.

The courier missions occasionally dry up, but I need not reject a kill contract like before. I close in point blank, unload all five missile launchers at once, approximately 15 warheads detonated before he could offer me a pitiful sum of credit to let him go. It's too bad, they were paying me 10x of that. Blam. Money in the bank. Repeat.
Yeah, man. Missiles, fuck yeah!

This game I denied the RTS quests. Too annoying, despite their phat payouts. I love every other element of the game, and I'm in it for pure fun, so I'd rather just not do it.
But...the MONEY! Screw fun!

Well, it certainly SOUNDS more serious in the original Russian. Does it sound as hammy to Russians as it does in the English version?

Last edited:

laclongquan

Arcane
If you are interested in interplanetary market manipulation :capitalist:

Buy a shitload of luxury goods. The pricey one.

Store them on a planet that consume luxury, a frontier one, perhaps. Not sell.

High number of goods on planet, but low number of actual goods on market : absurb situation of low buy but high sell. No trader will sell here so the actual goods get consume month after months. Then it run out.

At this point you take the goods out of that planet. Sitting nearby. Checking news periodically. When the actual price on that planet reflect true stituation of none goods. Go in and SELL SELL SELL.

:profit:

The actual fun is in observing the price changing on market. And watching the traders coming in but not selling it~

Norfleet

Space Rangers doesn't really need "direction". It's a sandbox-type space game. "Go and do your thing" is pretty much what the genre is about.

Store them on a planet that consume luxury, a frontier one, perhaps. Not sell.

High number of goods on planet, but low number of actual goods on market : absurb situation of low buy but high sell. No trader will sell here so the actual goods get consume month after months. Then it run out.
Wait, the stuff you store on the planet is counted as goods on the planet and affects the local prices?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom