Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - may the Emperor's legs be OK

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Played first mission. Liked it so far, but it's definitely not great yet by any means. It's pretty hard to tell what is going on once the bolts, swords, blood and corpses start flying everywhere.

MP is definitely a mess so far. Can't use bots if you lack humans (at least that I can tell), levels seem to reset every time, you can play every mission from the start. I suspect the correct way to play will be to always use codex mode with a full posse of friends.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
levels seem to reset every time, you can play every mission from the start.

Good.
To clarify, I mean player progression levels. Have fun always starting with yer bolter and power fist.

I don't give a shit about player progression. This gimmick started the decline of multiplayer FPS and grindfests.
You are not wrong, but it makes the whole inclusion rather stupid. Why not just always start players off with everything then?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
CzeOwSHWgAAi7Kw.jpg:large

Dat child corpse.

Such grimdark.

Very sad.

Wow.
It's a servitor or smth, it's like being sad about a broken toaster.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
streumon were streaming their own game on their own PCs as a celebration for the release, and they had to restart it a few times due to CTDs

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I had zero problems before that CTD in MP, played the first mission two times ,no fps drops just couple of lag spikes, hit the inventory to change gun and crashed,sucks as I was the host.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
levels seem to reset every time, you can play every mission from the start.

Good.
To clarify, I mean player progression levels. Have fun always starting with yer bolter and power fist.

I don't give a shit about player progression. This gimmick started the decline of multiplayer FPS and grindfests.
You are not wrong, but it makes the whole inclusion rather stupid. Why not just always start players off with everything then?

That's what Codex Rules is for and what you should play to have fun.

Freddie

Savant
Even on lowest settings I get hueg stuttering when anything starts happening :negative:
What's your setup?

I have considered getting this, but then I need new graphics card too. I'm getting a new one anyway, but I might rather wait if there's something interesting happening in mid-range cards pricing / models in Q1 2017 than buy a new one right now.

Alright, so the game is in a better state than EYE was on launch (that is to say, it doesn't appear to wipe your safe file every thirty minutes. Yeah, high praise, I know).

As mentioned the game starts stuttering once you start encountering big blobs of jeanstealers, but the stability isn't bad, at least in Singleplayer. I went through the tutorial and first mission without any crashes or freezes.

Presentation is great. The environment is detailed down to tiny inscriptions, text on monitors, etc. I hope they do some cool things with environmental storytelling - the level of detail definitely has the potential to tell an interesting story. Cutscenes are really stylish by 40k standards and there isn't too much boring exposition. Guns sound slightly better than the beta, I think they added post-processing effects to make the bolter feel even meatier. I do have a few complaints regarding the voiceovers. While in general they are very high quality, Belial had two different people doing his VO and that is pretty obvious. Also, there is lack of actual story-relevant chatter between teammates, for example

in the first mission you come across an entire spess mahrine squad that has been massacred and your battle bros don't find that very interesting at all.

Plot is intriguing so far: the premise is that there is an ancient Dark Angles ship in the middle of the space hulk and you have to rapekill your way through the entire thing to get there, while the rest of the chapter is holding off a tyranid invasion of the system.

The Fallen have already been mentioned. I think it is implied that the whole purge of the space hulk is an excuse to go after the fallen that are in the dark angels ship, which is plausible knowing this particular chapter.

The actual gameplay is kind of like EYE: you are dropped on a large level, given an objective, and once you have completed it you are given another, and so on until the mission ends. You are free to choose where to position yourself, which route to take to the objective, etc. I frequently found myself using the map to figure out the best route to my next objective (for example, I always stuck to hallways and avoided large open spaces if I could help it, so that I could concentrate fire on one of two places instead of being swarmed). My go-to strategy so far is to send the devastator forward using the move order, then follow him with the apothecary serving as the rearguard. That way I can support the devastator with fire if necessary and let the apothecary take care of flankers, or spin on my heels and concentrate on the rear if that becomes necessary.

Battle bro AI is competent. There were times I left them holding down some position while I went relic hunting and they managed to fend off enemies fine. There are a few issues, though: their reflexes are kinda slow and they tend to push each other, which is a pain when you are trying to make them hold position close to each other or when traversing narrow hallways.

A mechanic that caused some controversy was opening a psi-gate to basically ressupply in the middle of the level. It appears to be done pretty well. Basically your apothecary has 6 charges of, I don't know, healing stuff and you yourself have 3 psi-gates that you can open in order to interrupt the level and restore health and change your load out. So the most efficient way to proceed is try to make those 6 charges last as long as possible, then hit up the gate. This adds an element of tense decision making - do you wait until you use up all your charges and remain with little to no surplus, thus at increased risk of death, or do you play it safe and use the psi-gate to get away when you've still surplus left, with the risk of using up all your charges and psi-gate before the end of the level?

Scattered about the level are minor and major relics that give you XP when found. With enough XP you get an extra psi-gate for the level that you are currently playing, and skill points that persist throughout the campaign. You can spend the latter on three skill trees: one that buffs battle bros, the other that buffs yourself, and the third that unlocks psi-powers. Some skills are pretty fucking boring (+10% armour, yay), while others unlock cool new shit like weapons and psi-abilities. I like that this gives you an incentive to explore the level.

A thing that people may or may not like about the game is that there is little to no in-game music. Personally I really like it, because the arrival of jeanstealer swarms and the locations of xp-giving relics are identified by sound cues. The game has a p. good atmosphere and the lack of music helps that IMO.

Oh, and do you like tea and sandwiches and masturbating? Well do I have good news for you. The loading times still last for-fucking-ever, so that should give you enough time to have all the tea and sandwiches and masturbations you want. At least the levels are long enough that you don't see them often.

Overall, the initial impressions have been pretty good, especially compared to the clusterfuck of the beta. Maybe it goes to shit in level 2 though, who knows.

Nael

Arcane
CTD on first mission in that big room with the bell.

Garbage.

I don't have problems at all with any games I play except maybe Skyrim with 200+ mods but that's a given.

Awaiting patch.

EDIT: Game looks beautiful though. Faithful to WH40K lore to an autistic degree. Looks promising once it is patched to a more stable state.

A horse of course

So the message I'm getting here is "wait for a patch and play with bots since the community will be dead by then anyway"

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm up for some cooperative purging in the Emperor's name. Once the proper litanies of patching have been applied.

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I equipped my dude with an assault cannon. Then I hacked a turret. When I exited the turret, my dude had a storm bolter in place of the cannon. Pretty sure that's not how terminator armor works.

Shit man this crap blazes my balls. What an age to be alive.

Buy it.

Buy it.

Buy it.

Buy it.

I'll write something more detailed later, when I am not struggling to stay concious because all of my blood has gone down to fuel my raging erection.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom