Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - may the Emperor's legs be OK

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Looks nice, but also pretty simple I guess.

Turns out I have credibility still with the PR company that handles Deathwing, so I might be able to get a few keys, if anybody thinks they'll be able to run this and wants to join in a co-op stream.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Maybe because it's still in development?
Yea probably but EYE doesn't really bring hope for an actual "finished" product (though prolly patched now).
Hopefully, unlike EYE, a strong pre-existing IP game will force them to focus more instead of going all over the place.

Speed-wise, you're in fucking Terminator Armor. You can't even scratch your ass in that.
That's because it's not built for agility, just like you can't do backflips and whatnot, but they are the fastest armors because they are designed for melee (most at least, some are just weapon platforms) and in melee, F = motherfucking MA.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Speed-wise, you're in fucking Terminator Armor. You can't even scratch your ass in that.

That's because it's not built for agility, just like you can't do backflips and whatnot, but they are the fastest armors because they are designed for melee (most at least, some are just weapon platforms) and in melee, F = motherfucking MA.
No.

(A) They are not "designed for melee." They are more heavily armored exoskeletons provided with more power in order to wield cumbersome heavy weapons easier than a normal Marine. In other words (and table-top wise) it means they can simultaneously move and shoot with weapons that a normal Marine must be stationary to use, and that they can use heavier melee equipment (easier). Those heavy weapons include both ranged and melee weapons. Ranged would be things like Heavy Flamers, Assault Cannons, STORM Bolters (they do not use Bolters), etc. Melee would be Power Fists, Thunder Hammer + Storm Shield, etc.

(A1) They are designed for boarding action for the most part. Where you fight in corridors, and push forward against the tide of enemy defense. There is no need for speed. The need is for superior firepower and defense in order to reach the bridge via attrition.

(B) And there are no variations of Terminator armor, at least within a Chapter. You wear the same Tactical Dreadnought Armor whichever weapon you use.

(B1) Now what WILL slow you down or speed you up is obviously what weapon you decide to use. An Assault Cannon or using a Storm Shield obviously are going to strain the power armor more or simply are more clunky-some than just staying with a Storm Bolter or using Lightning Claws.

Go look at the tabletop rules if you wish. Terminator units are Terminator units. You pick what loadout you want and are willing to pay the extra points cost for. Off the top of my head, trying to remember shit I read from years ago, they can't Run (sacrifice attacking in order to move twice range), however they can move and shoot (heavier) weapons that normally you cannot shoot unless you sacrifice movement.

In fact, "normal" Space Marine base armor is completely identical. There are simply different "Patterns" which are just new versions that replace the old versions every few centuries. If you want more protection then you grab an Iron Halo or pray to the Emprah more.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
You're talking mobility and agility, I'm talking speed, raw stuff, impact, *bam* *bam*.
When a top of the top close combat suit for the most badass motherfuckers on steroids activates to swing a power-sword into a 10 ton demon face, I expect it to act slightly differently than a random terrorist in counterstrike swinging a knife and have some kind of fucking nuclear impact to it. When said suit is required to fire a "STORM" bolter, that shit should look and feel like a 20 cal from hell on automatic, not a WW2 pea shooter.

There is no impact to anything shown is my point.
These guys are supposed to be among the top of the top humanity has - physically, mentally and technologically - against all the completely crazy xenos shit, not...that. It's too tame.

And yes it's still in development but don't think that's the issue I have with it, it's more conceptual.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
They're in Terminator Armor, not regular Space Marine armor. It's not top close combat suit. It's a suit that makes the sacrifices of being slower and and more cumbersome in return for advantages such as not having to stop to shoot a heavy weapon, and armor that is more bulletproof.

A Power Sword doesn't create an impact, it is a magical sword. Power = +1/2/x enhancement. It slices through shit that has tough armor (aka Terminator armor).

A Thunder Hammer creates an impact. A Power Fist creates an impact.

A "STORM" Bolter is just two Bolters taped together.

And in the lore every boarding action onto a Space Hulk is literally considered honorable suicide. They try to get to a point where they decided to plant explosives, usually only one guy makes it to that point, and then he dies kablooey with the ship.

You can't hear an impact when the game sound is completely muffled (yes, "muffled" is the first word that came to my head when I watched the video) while loud people are having an interview.

Finally if you want conceptual then I suggest looking at conceptual cinematic trailers that have been out for months.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
I have and
1) Sound is fucked there too.
2) Half a ton+ armor doesn't even ripple when walking on water, no tremor on concrete (neo concrete?).
2) It's pre rendered marketing shit.
3) Music overwhelms everything very quickly.
4) Dudes fire bullets bigger than my fist and there is no impact of it anywhere whatsoever.

So...yea..I rest my case but again that's just my feeling on it.
That said, auto cannon weaving and sword movement was "ok" but too fast to be of note. Graphically the armors are nice too, but xenos movements don't feel right yet.

And as for the nerd minute; power swords are not magic, it's just an energy field (battery powered I mean) and while I agree these have no "impact" as in "thump", they require speed (otherwise everyone and their brother would just dodge it) therefore create force, and cut through shit like butter. Since there's no hue on any of these shown, they're just "normal" and not powered, so you need that "thump" somewhere.

For someone like me who's not into action game/fps but love W40K, all I'm saying is that the feel's not there yet. But as said, in dev and whatnot.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
2) Half a ton+ armor doesn't even ripple when walking on water, no tremor on concrete (neo concrete?).
Are you telling me that a space ship is made out of concrete? :roll:

2) It's pre rendered marketing shit.
You mean it's pre-implementation and thus CONCEPTUAL?

And as for the nerd minute; power swords are not magic, it's just an energy field (battery powered I mean) and while I agree these have no "impact" as in "thump", they require speed (otherwise everyone and their brother would just dodge it) therefore create force, and cut through shit like butter. Since there's no hue on any of these shown, they're just "normal" and not powered, so you need that "thump" somewhere.

For someone like me who's not into action game/fps but love W40K, all I'm saying is that the feel's not there yet. But as said, in dev and whatnot.
No shit, it's not magic. That was a joke.

Since there's no hue on any of these shown, they're just "normal" and not powered
Or god forbid they haven't added the shaders yet.

Not to mention if they weren't using power swords they would be using chainswords, FFS.

Why the fuck would any Space Marine be using a normal sword? I don't get it. Apparently for the same reason that some Terminator armor are designed for melee and others are just weapon platforms.

40k lover my ass. :roll:

all I'm saying is that the feel's not there yet. But as said, in dev and whatnot.
You can look at a video of any in-dev game and say that the "feel's not there yet." It's not a surprising observation, unless you're an idiot. You're not saying anything of use.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Or god forbid they haven't added the shaders yet.
In a pre-rendered promotional trailer? What? :)

You mean it's pre-implementation and thus CONCEPTUAL?
No, I mean pre-rendered promotional marketing crap and therefore not at all conceptual nor bound to represent anything of the actual game. It's a fucking commercial is what I'm saying, and even the commercial doesn't feel right...

Why the fuck would any Space Marine be using a normal sword?[..]
Heh, tell them that! :)

Apparently for the same reason that some Terminator armor are designed for melee and others are just weapon platforms.
So hammer/shield is not melee designed and cannon isn't weapon platform, ok then. Potatoes I guess.

You can look at a video of any in-dev game and say that the "feel's not there yet." It's not a surprising observation, unless you're an idiot. You're not saying anything of use.
What? I can't even...
The "feel" of in-dev games is exactly how you build hype. I've seen games in crappy alpha stages and go right up to "oh yea, that's the shit right there". Heck, I've seen prototypes of games and immediately go "that's it right there". Anyone can code shit, even in the later stages of develpment but that "feel" is either there or not, hence my, personal, concern.

I do hope it's because it's bad quality videos, muffled sounds and whatnot because I'd really like what the game seem to want to offer, but all I'm saying is that it doesn't feel right :)

DramaticPopcorn

Nice, they actually managed to make the biggest baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy feel like random soldiers from any battlefield games.
Feels are subjective and I got no impression about random soldiers, everything seems just right to me, maybe with exception for bolter fire, but the reason why it looks so generic may simply be because there are no smaller arms for comparison, save for what those cultists were using.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Why the fuck would any Space Marine be using a normal sword?[..]
Heh, tell them that! :)
:roll: I'm referring to your lack of knowledge about game design process.

Apparently for the same reason that some Terminator armor are designed for melee and others are just weapon platforms.
So hammer/shield is not melee designed and cannon isn't weapon platform, ok then. Potatoes I guess.
No, hammer/shield is a weapon choice and cannon is weapon choice. The armors are not designed differently in order to use either loadout. The armor is the same weight, same speed, same strength.

They are not "the fastest armors because they are designed for melee."

Do you know the other name of Terminator armor? Tactical Dreadnought Armor. Now, tell me, is a Dreadnought a fast armor "designed for melee"?

What? I can't even...
The "feel" of in-dev games is exactly how you build hype. I've seen games in crappy alpha stages and go right up to "oh yea, that's the shit right there". Heck, I've seen prototypes of games and immediately go "that's it right there". Anyone can code shit, even in the later stages of develpment but that "feel" is either there or not, hence my, personal, concern.
Exactly. Dumb people care about hype. Smart people care about how the game ends up when it comes out. You can have a great "feel" in the beginning of design and then end up with a shitty game. Have fun with that.

In other words, things that don't matter are shit that are somewhat it not basically postprocessing. Shaking and tremors take how much to do? It would be a friggin simple thing to shove in that type of camera movement. Audio doesn't sound right? Oh gosh, maybe it's not finalized. Shaders not in yet? Even a modder can add in shaders.

What one should care about are things already set in stone, things like encounter design and map design.

all I'm saying is that it doesn't feel right :)
And all I'm saying is that you're not saying anything of value.

Brumaire

Educated
FWIW, one of the devs is pretty active on a French forum, and here is what I gathered:
- Focus disabled a bunch of stuff for the video, including recoil. Also they showed some of the less interesting NPCs, who are still in development. "They couldn't have done worse"
- Disabling recoil was easy because the game has been made with modding in mind, so there's a bunch of ini files to tweak to your liking.
- They have no control over the marketing department, but they told them they weren't happy with this video. Usually Focus shows them the video first, but not this time.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Merci Brumaire, much better directly on the a french forum and after reading most of it, I'm glad they agree on the problems I also had with the videos and basically shit on the marketing department who managed them. As some mentioned after some dude from Streum On commented on it: "Ca me rassure" :)

Siel

Arcane
Patron
New interview:

GAMES WORKSHOP’S BEST-SELLING TABLETOP GAME GETS THE FULL-ON FPS TREATMENT WITH SPACE HULK: DEATHWING…
4 hours ago | By Mark Pilkington

Based upon Game Workshop’s Warhammer 40,000 franchise, Space Hulk: Deathwing is a first-person shooter that puts you in the rather sturdy boots of a Space Marine Terminator. Picking up a distress signal from a seemingly abandoned space ship, you and your team of three soon find yourselves surrounded by Genestealer aliens as you explore the gloomy corridors in search of your missing comrade…

We caught up recently with French developers Streum On in Paris (of all places) to talk turkey about converting the best-selling tabletop game, and juggling the expectations of both gamers and fans of the Warhammer 40k universe alike.

GameWatcher: In terms of its life cycle, how long has Deathwing been in development for?

Francois Detemmerman: About two years so far. We are close to finishing it, we are polishing it right now. As soon as we feel it is good and ready, we will release it. We will have to see how the game shapes up before it can be published, and that is something we are still working on.

GameWatcher: There have been a few PC games based on the Space Hulk universe in the past. How does Deathwing shape up when compared to those?

Francois Detemmerman: We’ve tried to make something that is in the Space Hulk universe but also has its own identity. We don’t want to make just another Space Hulk game, because we feel if you wanted that then you should just get the original board game, which is very good in itself. We basically tried to make an FPS which was based around Space Hulk lore.

GameWatcher: As you just mentioned, Space Hulk has a very rich lore. How much of that can be discovered as you play the game?

Francois Detemmerman: A lot. There is a lot for the player to read about. I have to say, if you are talking about the lore, it is something we have worked very closely with Games Workshop on. This was to make sure the history we present is consistent throughout. If you are the type of player who is looking for a rich background to their game’s setting, I think you will find a lot here to please you.

GameWatcher: The game is very much like a survival horror in a way, being based in a confined space with creatures leaping out at you.

Francois Detemmerman: In terms of horror, there are lots of jump scares. You will be surprised sometimes by something that is very scary. There is also very much an oppressive atmosphere in the game. Sometimes you may have quiet periods in the game, but then you will suddenly find yourself attacked from all corners just when you think you are safe.

GameWatcher: You have three team mates who venture into the ships with you. How much control of them do you have? Can you command them in terms of their position and what they do in the game?

Francois Detemmerman: We did try giving the player the option of going into their bodies and playing as them, but it ended up being too complicated, so instead you control them remotely. In multiplayer however, you can play alongside others who will take charge of them. Multiplayer will be much more action based, as the cutscenes you have in the solo game won’t be there. It will be much straighter to the point.

GameWatcher: How long is the solo game? Is it quite a large campaign?

Francois Detemmerman: Depending on the player, it will last for 10 to 15 hours. Each of the nine levels takes a bit over an hour to complete, so an hour and fifteen for each one. The end levels are particularly hard, so the whole game should last a long time.

GameWatcher: How many in-game space ships are there to explore?

Francois Detemmerman: In total you have seven ships over nine different levels. Each ship is projected to be several kilometres wide, so there is plenty to explore.

GameWatcher: Is it only Genestealers or are there other types of enemy you will face?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes, it’s only Genestealers, but you will face a large variety of them. There are about 15 different types of enemies. Some of them might look alike as they share the same basic model, but they have very different skills and abilities.

GameWatcher: How much character customisation do you have? Are there a large variety of weapons to arm yourself with?

Francois Detemmerman: At the moment you can choose between twelve different types of weapons. You can choose between arming your left or right arm, although sometimes you won’t have a choice, depending on the weapon itself. For instance, if you choose a Lightening Claw, your other arms must also have the same weapon. You have a lot of customisation available, and can unlock different types of weapon as you collect skill points.

GameWatcher: How do the skill points work? Is it a case of being awarded them as you complete certain sections of the game?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes exactly, depending on your performance and how well you do, you will gain more or less skill points. The skill points can be spent in each one of the five skill trees. At the end of the game, you won’t be able to fill all skill trees, but you will be able to fill more than one. I think the actual final number will be two or three.

GameWatcher: Can you spend the points in-game or after each level?

Francois Detemmerman: You can summon a Psygate during the game where you can escape from the action to customise your team. Whenever you are in trouble and your squad is down to its last legs, you can call up a Psygate. They let you go back to a Deathwing outpost where you can upgrade and re-equip yourself before you go back into the fray. Of course, this is a bit like cheating, as you can never die if you do this, so to counteract that you only have a limited amount of charges to call the gates up. At the moment the number is four for each level. It is important that you use them, otherwise you won’t be able to unlock all the weapons and abilities, so when you arrive at the end of the game you might be in big trouble.

GameWatcher: Do you also have checkpoints during the game where you can stop and rest from the action?

Francois Detemmerman: As you progress, there are areas where you can take a breather and re-equip yourself as well. You don’t have any spaces where you can repair yourself though, as that wouldn’t make sense. When you secure an area, you can go there to relax for a bit - maybe make yourself a cup of tea of something – but most of the time you will be constantly attacked by Genestealers. There is no real break, you will just spend an hour or two constantly being harassed by Genestealers. This is because we wanted to create an atmosphere where you are not safe as long as you are on the space ship.

GameWatcher: So do the Genestealers just keep coming all the time? There aren’t a certain number of them to kill per level, they just keep endlessly multiplying?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes, they’ll keep at you all the time. You can try to avoid them by taking certain routes through each level, but they will just try to kill you relentlessly. As a player you can either explore the levels and try to avoid them, or just meet them head on and fight your way through.

GameWatcher: In the original Space hulk, you could track the Genestealers ahead and monitor how close they were to you. Do you have a similar system in operation in this game?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes if you explore a lot, you will know exactly where every Genesteaker is and can act accordingly. You then use your tactical map to know exactly where the Genestealers are coming from. If you lock the door behind you and close their paths you can delay their progress. You can’t stop them, but you can delay them, and that gives you time to progress further ahead of them. In the end they will catch you up, but by delaying them you will only have to fight a few of them at a time.

GameWatcher: For the levels themselves, are there collectables you can find? Any Easter eggs for players to discover?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes there are a lot of collectables in the forms of relics and artefacts. These are relics left by a Dark Angel warrior who was previously on the Space Hulk. You can collect every relic to discover about his history and the history of the chapter.

GameWatcher: Can you choose from different classes of Space Marine to play as?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes the player can choose from different classes. So you have librarian, Apothecary and the last one is Death Watch. The Death Watch is more like the heavy guy so he can use bigger weapons, the Apothecary is a medic so he can heal his teammates, and a Librarian is a battle mage who can cast spells.

GameWatcher: So if you play as a medic, you can revive your teammates?

Francois Detemmerman: Well, at the moment, if you die you have a timer and are automatically revived after a certain amount of time. But to be honest, we are not sure how we will deal with this yet. We think for instance that medics may help your teammates revive faster, but we need to figure out the actual mechanics of it.

GameWatcher: Finally, will the game be updated regularly after its release? What do players have in store for the future?

Francois Detemmerman: Yes, after we release the game we plan to keep updating it. For example, after a year we plan to release a full PvP multiplayer mode, along with a lot of new maps.

- See more at: http://www.gamewatcher.com/interviews/space-hulk-deathwing-interview/12489#sthash.whNeJVk0.dpuf

Love

Cipher

It looks like it could compete with the big budget shooters. I'm happy for the guys that they got a shot at this license since I was already afraid it would be rip-off handed off to a small studio.

I hope those rumors about an E.Y.E. release on GOG are true. I still want to finish that sucker.

Moink

Cipher
Oh boy they let the map designer from E.Y.E loose again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom