Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Hulk: Deathwing - may the Emperor's legs be OK

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I love how this looks like E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy on UE4 with stuff from WH40K bitchslapped on top of it.
I don't mind that, because 40k Space Marines aren't really that different in terms of utility than a "regular" shooter character. As long as the gameplay is solid, then on the gameplay front it'll be fine.

To me it'll depend on faithful pace (and clunkiness), weapons, units, etc (in other words gameplay "feel" rather than graphics). That's really the main difference. It's not like 40k Marines are something totally different from a regular soldier besides a different flavor and strength of armor, weapons, though perhaps effectiveness of melee weapons. I mean they just got more powerful and flavorful assault rifles, SMGs, rocket launchers, HMGs,

I suppose the extra powerful armor and natural resistance lets them be less reliant on cover. But eh. They're really just very amped up soldiers, without much utility difference. Which is why they're a really boring (and novice friendly) army to play in tabletop.

Now if it were in a more open environment then Jumppack Marines would be a unique character compared to most shooters. And bikers. And Dreadnoughts. (Though other armies share those, too). Or I guess if they have Librarians and Techmarines or something.

That being said, the difference in flavor (mostly clunkiness and the feel of shooting rockets as the main projectile) does make a difference if you're a fanboy (which I am).

Setting-wise, in terms of being in a Space Hulk, it seems claustrophobic which is good. If it's not then it'll suck.

---

There can be fun difference in gameplay, though. But that is more game-dependent than flavor dependent. The example would be Space Marine, where you have a mix of decently done melee and ranged combat, with the necessity to combine both, as well as very well done fluidity in switching between ranged and melee combat. And it's not typical hack & slash autotargeting ranged combat... It's shooter style with the necessity of aiming and choice of weapons.

But again that's more of an interesting gameplay mechanic than something that is 40k specific.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Playing the Forgotten Center or Monolith levels in E.Y.E wearing heavy armour and wielding the Sulfatum gatling gun and the Arrancadora de Tripas sledgehammer probably counts as a good preview of the new game. It felt like playing as a 40K Terminator.

DramaticPopcorn

Playing the Forgotten Center or Monolith levels in E.Y.E wearing heavy armour and wielding the Sulfatum gatling gun and the Arrancadora de Tripas sledgehammer probably counts as a good preview of the new game. It felt like playing as a 40K Terminator.
agreed. E.Y.E. heavy armor also gives you that sense of impact and impossible weight unlike most shooters do.

Thane Solus

Arcane
Finally an FPS with proper squad command ffs, why it has taken so long, godam shitty designers.

Incline for me at first look(second), just need to play it.

For ze Emperor!

Eyeball

Arcane
From 500 feet away, the combat looks far less intense than EYE's and the weapons look like they got a lot less oomph. The machine gun in particular isn't sounding anywhere near as satisfying as EYEs leadspitters did.

Still, potential incline? We shall see.

Siel

Arcane
Patron
From 500 feet away, the combat looks far less intense than EYE's and the weapons look like they got a lot less oomph. The machine gun in particular isn't sounding anywhere near as satisfying as EYEs leadspitters did.

Still, potential incline? We shall see.

Really? From what I see melee combat looks more nervous. Also the guns recoil seems stronger than in E.Y.E.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Give me some fullscreen gameplay FFS, I don't want to judge the overall quality of stuff based on whatever some dumbfuck with a camera managed to capture from another corner of the room.

zwanzig_zwoelf

For a second I thought that Faggy Foe works for Streum...
Quick, somebody call the ambulance.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
New non-gameplay screens:

spacehulk_deathwing-09.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-10.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-11.jpg

spacehulk_deathwing-12.jpg

Space Hulk: Deathwing, the first-person shooter by Streum On Studio set in Games Workshop's famous Warhammer 40,000 universe, showcases a few of its mammoth ship interiors with a batch of atmospheric new screenshots.

From a large battle-barge belonging to the Black Templars, to a vessel from the Adeptus Mechanicus, explore and fight inside huge derelict Warhammer 40,000 vessels, oozing with atmosphere and authenticity. You play as a Librarian accompanied by a Terminator squad - either cooperatively with friends, or in solo - fending off Genestealer advances and recovering ancient relics in the mangled ships and asteroids composing the Space Hulk, drifting along the currents of the Warp.

The game features a full story campaign, and all of the weapons from the Space Hulk board game (including the famous Storm Bolter, Assault Cannon, Lightning Claws, and Thunder Hammer). Wielding these relics of war you will fight through the cargo bays of the Adeptus Mechanicus, ancient chapels of a Black Templar warship, and the gigantic engine rooms of derelict ships.

Space Hulk: Deathwing releases in 2016.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron

Nice, they actually managed to make the biggest baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy feel like random soldiers from any battlefield games. Maybe it's too early but everything is wrong there, the sound of it, the feel of it, the look of it, the speed of it. There's no impact, no "omfg", just "oh, another random fps"...
Bolters should be like fucking 20mm on repeat making your ears bleed, melee should feel like superman vs zod fights speed and power wise. Ground should tremble and fracture and fall when fucking marines walk around. Shit should be michael bay on PCP with ride of the valkyries crashing your stereo, not....whatever that shit is.

Siel

Arcane
Patron

Nice, they actually managed to make the biggest baddest motherfuckers in the galaxy feel like random soldiers from any battlefield games. Maybe it's too early but everything is wrong there, the sound of it, the feel of it, the look of it, the speed of it. There's no impact, no "omfg", just "oh, another random fps"...
Bolters should be like fucking 20mm on repeat making your ears bleed, melee should feel like superman vs zod fights speed and power wise. Ground should tremble and fracture and fall when fucking marines walk around. Shit should be michael bay on PCP with ride of the valkyries crashing your stereo, not....whatever that shit is.

B-but, there is no sound in the video.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
B-but, there is no sound in the video.

Your parents should have told you about your condition, really....

Edit:
Sorry, was in my post "just read today's news bullshits" moment of the day :)
You can hear game sounds multiple times during the video.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Man, they do good feeling heavy armored fighters in E.Y.E., why not do the same here?
Ground trembled at jump.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity

The video has the game volume on 5% with the interview at 100%, so of course it's going to mess with your perception.

Speed-wise, you're in fucking Terminator Armor. You can't even scratch your ass in that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom