Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Exploration/Adventure games

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Deciphering alien languages sounds interesting. I didn't know about this game, but I remenber the sequel form the mid 90's, I did't play it though.

Cool name

Arcane
Perhaps Agassi knows any?

If my mistress calls...

There is a very cool old game by the name of Millenia: Altered Destinies. You explore, you pewpew, and you travel through time to seed, manipulate, develop, and defend alien civilizations so that they will be able to destroy the bad dudes in the future. It is quite unique. It is also very hard.

I believe it is quite hard to get so send me a PM if you want me to upload it somewhere.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, since that piece of shit Spaceforce: Rogue Universe was mentioned I guess one should also mention Darkstar One and Evochron Mercenary.

Spaceforce: Rogue Universe
Bought this one on steam sale last year. It seems more like a Privateer clone (and a shitty one). I've played it only for na hour or so, does it get better when you progress? Maybe it's worth revisiting.
Weird Worlds also looks kind of cool, but i'm a bit put off that it's descibed as a "coffe break game".

I'm afraid not. SF:RU is (along with SE: Starfury; probably should have clarified that not all of the games in my list come highly recommended) another one of those that you should only play if you don't have anything better available (I still kind of enjoyed it though). So if you don't like it now I'd say you can safely drop it.

Weird Worlds is indeed designed to be played in small bursts but is quite enjoyable nonetheless, even though it does run out of steam rather quickly. I'd suggest you to at least try the first one (you don't lose much as it's short and freeware now).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Did you play Alien Legacy?
Just watched a video of it on youtube and holy shit this looks tasty. Not exactly the type of game that I mentioned, but it seems to have a spirit of s-f exploration and adventure I'm looking for. I think I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks dude.
Brah, my only video on Youtube is on Alien Legacy, it's that good. The best space game period. Be sure to get the Cd version, it fixes 2 or 3 bugs and has cool voices.

Dat intro :lol:

That is the face of a man that is unsure that 'colonial administration career' was a good idea.
'the fate of the colony and perhaps of all the human race now rests with you'.

Game is a bit grindy though.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Precursors_1.jpg

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've played the english release on PC, it was called Precursors. Didn't get far though, the controls were sucky, and translation was so-so.

If I can get the russian original I would play it again though.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I've played the english release on PC, it was called Precursors. Didn't get far though, the controls were sucky, and translation was so-so.
I'm playing Precursors, and yeah the controls are fucked up, the whole FPS shooter part is very clunky. I haven't got to the space-sim part yet, how shitty is it? Despite these wonderful production values I kind of like this game. The whole concept is really interesting and ambitious, it's a shame that the basic gameplay stuff is so bad that it makes
Precursors borderline unplayable. If I wasn't so much into space opera sf stuff a masochist, I would probably uninstall this game after 5 minutes of playing.

I always wanted to play that one but with all the translation patches and audio files and shit you need to find before being able to play it properly I never did. :(

Is it worthy of all that trouble?
One patch (Wesps patch) and russian audio files (you don't need'em if you have the russian version). It's not really that much trouble.

fuzz

Liturgist
I'm looking for games where you command a spaceship, explore the galaxy, solve mysteries, talk to aliens, shoot aliens etc.(...)
For more serious, Solar System Explorer from Maris Multimedia.

Solar System Explorer lets you simulate real interplanetary flight! A unique scientifically accurate space mission simulator - a futuristic, realistic, first-hand experience of space! Plot your course in the Navigation Room. Plan pioneering missions or recreate famous past voyages. Look up data relevant to your mission in the Library and the Museum and then head for the Bridge and prepare to leave Earth's orbit. When you reach your destination, choose your ship's orbit and then descend to the Probe Room and deploy a probe to discover more about the planet's atmosphere and landscape.

Key features of Solar System Explorer:
  • Scientifically accurate interactive mission simulator.
  • Ability to manually adjust the ship's orbit.
  • Ability to launch probes to explore mission's destination.
  • 360 degree panoramas of planet surfaces.
  • Breathtaking real-time rendered views of planets.
  • Planetology surveys featuring video and 3D animation.
  • Interactive debriefing on historic space missions including Apollo, Viking, Voyager and Galileo.
  • Surface maps of Mars, Earth, Moon and Venus.
  • Direct Internet connection to Maris' on-line space and astronomy resources.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
There's one title from the late 90s/early 00s that focuses heavily (almost exclusively) on space exploration that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

It's currently in its fourth incarnation, but a fifth one is being coded and worked on.

tiagocc0

Arcane
I started playing today Millenia: Altered Destinies, had never heard of it before but so far it's pretty fucking sweet. loving it!
It has aged well, the commands look complex but are quite simple after 10 minutes playing without even reading the manual.

tindrli

Arcane
and what about that star trek game?? the one.. crap.. dont remember its name.. could be starfleet comander III or something..

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I BOUGHT PRECURSORS HAVENT TRIED IT HET

I LOVE TRANSCENDANCE PLYED THE SHIT OUT OF ITA

Heresiarch

Prophet
I feel sad so few people mention Space Rangers 2 in this thread :( . It has space exploration and TEXT adventures!

tiagocc0

Arcane
I feel sad so few people mention Space Rangers 2 in this thread :( . It has space exploration and TEXT adventures!

You are not here to bask in the glory of the old loved games but to fight for them and to kill for them! Come on soldier, stay sharp! :salute:

Nutmeg

Arcane
Vatnik Wumao
I know this is a stretch to the OPs question, but Master of Orion (I), models exploring space and interacting with aliens as a game very successfuly. The short animation where a tiny man steps out of a huge ship is also very nice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom