Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Space Empires 4: Does it suck, or do I suck?

fast

Literate
Answer: Both, probably.

So I've just tried to get into Space Empires 4 again for what might be the fifth time. Still can't seem to get any amount of momentum going - at least to the point where I want to continue playing, like in the Civilization games.

I make and customize an alien race (many customization elements, a plus early on) and then, once thrown into the game, the sheer amount of possibilities lying before me like Islamic virgins is so overwhelming that latent OCD kicks in and I quickly realize that there is no way I can manage this perfectly. Shortly thereafter my cursor finds the X towards the top right of the application window--it's all downhill from there.

Maybe I should read a guide.

Maybe I should have learned to read before I dropped out of school.

Does anyone here like this game? Any tips for a new player?

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
space14.png

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Both.

Actually, the main problem is it's too easy and feels like sandbox.

fast

Literate
me too thanks

Both.

Actually, the main problem is it's too easy and feels like sandbox.

I must not be there yet.

Is it even worth playing, or would I be better off just sticking with Alpha Centauri or Civ?

I haven't played many 4X games, admittedly. I have a copy of AoE2 or 3 in my desk that I haven't installed; maybe I should quit bullshitting and play that.

Tiospo

Learned
It is a good game. I like to load up the old games from time to time if they are good enough. Like this one.

tindrli

Arcane
Answer: Both, probably.

So I've just tried to get into Space Empires 4 again for what might be the fifth time. Still can't seem to get any amount of momentum going - at least to the point where I want to continue playing, like in the Civilization games.

I make and customize an alien race (many customization elements, a plus early on) and then, once thrown into the game, the sheer amount of possibilities lying before me like Islamic virgins is so overwhelming that latent OCD kicks in and I quickly realize that there is no way I can manage this perfectly. Shortly thereafter my cursor finds the X towards the top right of the application window--it's all downhill from there.

Maybe I should read a guide.

Maybe I should have learned to read before I dropped out of school.

Does anyone here like this game? Any tips for a new player?

well play it again. it seems like its too easy untill you realise youre fucked up. at least with Mods.. vanilla is vanilla

Raapys

Arcane
It's quite decent, but the base content is absurdly generic. That's why most people prefer mods. Sadly, the mods sometimes break the AI(mods are usually designed for MP).

For a straight up single-player experience though, I'd say there are better options to ease you into space 4x. Like for instance the legendary MoO2.

fast

Literate
It is a good game. I like to load up the old games from time to time if they are good enough. Like this one.

I do the same with a good number of games. Sometimes the nostalgic feeling is all I'm after.

It's quite decent, but the base content is absurdly generic. That's why most people prefer mods. Sadly, the mods sometimes break the AI(mods are usually designed for MP).

For a straight up single-player experience though, I'd say there are better options to ease you into space 4x. Like for instance the legendary MoO2.

Masters of Orion, right? that's a good recommendation. I've seen it on GOG but never paid it any mind.

dune wars

do you ever post more than two words? is that a thing?

Dune Wars looks neat- thanks for the recommendation.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
SEIV has the kind of flexibility that only a game like Star Ruler (and SR2) offered the player.

You could make worldships, lay minefields, manage thousands of ships, blow up star systems, start up new suns, create planets, create Dyson Spheres, create ringworlds, create and extinguish wormholes etc. etc. etc.

You could set yourself up as an ancient Vorlon-style empire in a galaxy of young races and then move in mysterious ways, blowing their shit up arbitrarily, until they advance enough to challenge you.

... but get mods.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, I found the game better suited for MP than SP:
I prefer MOO2 in SP, but in MP, you don't have to read a book while other players fight their space battles, which is a big plus, and the sheer amount of customization is not wasted when you can leverage it against other players.
But I don't know whether it is still possible to find games, and PBEM means it can take forever to get one completed.

Norfleet

The AI is pretty broken out of the box, really. One thing it's good at is immediately conceding, though: It has this amusing quirk where at one point in the game, everyone will decide to spontaneously declare war on you because you're too powerful. And then they immediately surrender.

Actually, I found the game better suited for MP than SP:
I prefer MOO2 in SP, but in MP, you don't have to read a book while other players fight their space battles, which is a big plus, and the sheer amount of customization is not wasted when you can leverage it against other players.
But I don't know whether it is still possible to find games, and PBEM means it can take forever to get one completed.
SEIV seems like it would be really hard to MP, given how battles work. Or do you just not HAVE battles, completely gutting the game? SEIV was definitely not designed for fully functional MP.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
SEIV seems like it would be really hard to MP, given how battles work. Or do you just not HAVE battles, completely gutting the game? SEIV was definitely not designed for fully functional MP.
The battles work a bit like in the Dominions series actually: You tell your ships how they are supposed to behave, the opponent does the same, and they are automatically resolved following your orders. The order system was simpler than in Dom IIRC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom