Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sovereignty, a few "new" screenshots

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Just want to give a heads up that Slitherine's "MoM meets Risk" turn-based strategy game, made by the Lordz (Panzer Corps) is not dead.

Although sometimes they appear to have no idea wtf are we doing (beta test announced several times since 2013 and still not
underway :troll:), they have showed some very nice screenshots of what appears to be a very clean looking turn based strategy game.

http://www.thelordzgamesstudio.com/site/game/sovereignty-crown-of-kings/

Campaign Game Screenshots
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=44454

UI and Cards
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=45201

file.php

Mortmal

Arcane
Now thats a game i never heard about , thanks for bringing this to our attention. Q4 2013 now ? Seems like they pushing it all the time from what i read on their forums . Hope its not the grimoire of turn based strategy game.

Burning Bridges

Time to time I have a look in their forum (still no beta), it seems this goes on and and on and on.

Mortmal

Arcane
So I noticed this is a slitherine published game. Has slitherine changed their policy of making games really expensive to compensate for relatively niche market?

No they diddnt , we even had their boss posting ont he dex and he did not answer me about a codex discount voucher....Doesnt matter me much i dont mind paying if the value is there , its a big IF.

Burning Bridges

Vapor is smelless but often you can still sense when it's there. The beta has been "almost done" for almost 2 years, and one can only speculate how chaotic and patchy development must be behind the scenes. Now they go for early access almost 2 years behind schedule, and get cash for a largely unfinished business. As someone who has monitored their forums I would be extremely cautious. If a developer can't even be arsed to post news in their own forum expect the same "hold out / sorry" message every 3 months, how can they be really behind this game? This reeks of 1 day a month bona fide fingers crossed development, and yet another abandoned project like their History Great Battles game.

Also, the map looks less impressive in action than on screenshots.

So we are looking at a $ 24.99 price point for this version and looking at increasing it at release.

LOL

Orald

Novice
Vapor is smelless but often you can still sense when it's there. The beta has been "almost done" for almost 2 years, and one can only speculate how chaotic and patchy development must be behind the scenes. Now they go for early access almost 2 years behind schedule, and get cash for a largely unfinished business. As someone who has monitored their forums I would be extremely cautious. If a developer can't even be arsed to post news in their own forum expect the same "hold out / sorry" message every 3 months, how can they be really behind this game? This reeks of 1 day a month bona fide fingers crossed development, and yet another abandoned project like their History Great Battles game.

Also, the map looks less impressive in action than on screenshots.

So we are looking at a $ 24.99 price point for this version and looking at increasing it at release.

LOL

New Youtubes of the game https://www.youtube.com/watchv=Zlhq7kBUR88

I don't buy into EA often, but I'm going to give this one a go.

Mortmal

Arcane
I got it yesterday, i dont like paying for early access, but well just finished poe bored , nothing to do...End up playing till 3H30 am jsut because another crash throw me out from the game.

its an almost finished game, like a late beta, the features are there but i must warn you ,as of right now theres many crashes, many bugs . Some very annoying ones on the battlefield wich force you to restart the battle from the beggning. Rebels armies vanishing after reloading a save. Its riddled with bugs.

That said its a lot of fun and the fundamentals are there, you dont even need to read the manual if you are used to those kind of games its easy to take it in hands but hard to master . Think of it as early total wars with some dominion poured in it with D&D birthright influence .

You choose one country on very large world map, each of them is unique with a specific background, some specific units (not nearly as much as dom 3 but enough to do stuff). You can expect the usual, the devs obviously are big fantasy fans so you can find the classicAD&D kingdoms, some northern folklore ones, some mongol steppe horde , the remnants of a fantasy roman empire and its decadent heirs . Each of them have several campaigns, not unlike total war but better .Destroy some country , but another must be left alive , or be allied with . Some more strange goals like for dragon hold ," make valegorn plalatinate, recognize galleni.." no idea how you achieve it yet but its nice to have more sophisticated goals than usual.

Then you start upgrading provinces, recruiting , exactly like dominion , except very good units are available immediately if you can afford the cost and specific ressources. Once built you can deploy anywhere , of course theres an upkeep to pay . The world is so big you will have to trade to get the ressoruces early and open the very well done diplomacy panel. There you can immedialtely see the relations towards your country, the same alignement the better (good, neutral , evil ) and cultruse pecific related to lore. You can see who can trade what and if the deal is likely to succeed. You can only do trade or covert operations (raising/lowering reputation, spying etc..) according the numbers of agents you have, some small island republics may have more , while military behemoth like orc horde only have two .Smaller guys are better at some things, i like that.

You have a magic panel and research, not so many spells so far but they are global spell for the world map , have to invest a lot of money to get spells similar to what you can find in the d&d birthright setting, damaging economy, boosting units etc.. the higher levels spells sound very good but havent accessed them yet.

The strong point of the game is obviously the tactical combats, think knight of the chalice combat with armies.It plays like a fantasy risk games, with some terrain having special abilities, for exemple extra scouting on adjacing tiles, or destroying occupying units evevery turn.Its worth mentioning theres also navals fights.,
After recruiting and forming armies you get the choice(only if led by an hero) to go to tactical mode instead of autresolve. Now its all goodness all goodness! ,terrain use, every unit is usefull and work with each others. Archers cannot win alone, they damage a fair bit an unit but wont be able to finish an infantry unit alone , unless you keep doing it during too many turns. Infantry can form lines with other infantry units and get big defense bonus , you have to use siege units to break their line . Cavalry gets attack bonus the more square they have to charge. Pour into it routing , attack of opportunity ,flanking, special abilties from units, differents attack types , like war damage death damage, magic cards etc. Oh and those units can level and get unique abilties according your country. For example i was surprised that my dragon hold knights were getting after some experience an orcslayer abitlity. As i said simple to understand but there's complex strategies .

Everything is very well balanced , its obvious its in the last stage of development . Once its finished it will be as classic as dominion or master of magic.

Orald

Novice
To that which has been posted about the game I would add a few observations. First, I don’t tend to go for early release games, but I bit on this one because I like other games by these developers/producers. The other early release game I bought is Darkest Dungeon, and like that game I think I will play Sovereignty Crown of Kings for a bit, then set it aside till it is released because I like both of them so well that I’m able to get burned out on both before they are fully baked. My only other EA experience was Elemental War of Magic… I have been playing TBS games on the PC since the 90s so I’ve got some mileage with the genre.

Cut to the chase - after playing for about 12 hours including the tutorial which I think is very well done, I like what I see so far. I recommend folks buying it now to support the developers as long as you have appropriate expectations about early release games and you are interested in something different then another rehash of a classic TBS game like Master of Magic. Variety is the spice of life, eh?

Stability: The game crashed twice in 12 hours of gaming. Once when two other factions initiated battle and the game froze during the battle autocalc phase. Another upon trying to start the game. Is this consistent with other EA games, you tell me. Both times a bug report generated and went out into the ether so the devs should be getting lots of feedback in addition to the forums.

Strategic Level: Many things to like here. The map looks great and has several interesting features. The Iron Barony (orcs) have a province that has a landmark called the Abyss whereby one of your units will be randomly selected and eliminated for each turn you occupy the province. Fortunately you only have to occupy the province one turn, but I haven’t seen something like that before.

The strategic layer seems simple but deep to me. Diplomacy is based on agents being sent off to conduct trade treaties, covert ops, etc. They need to travel for at least two weeks to get to their objective, maybe they will succeed, then they need to schlep back before they can be reassigned. Keeping some of your neighbors happy enough so that they don’t invade your realm is key and there are several ways to do this. One innovative way that I experienced was that I, playing as Dragonhold, want to keep Dunmar happy while I stick it to the orcs. So I send an agent to Dunmar to sing our praises, which is a slow process. As I was readying my forces to attack the Iron Barony, the Baron steals a march on me and invades one of Dunmar’s provinces. So I sent my forces after the orc into Dunmar’s province, annihilated the orcs (more on the tactical AI in a moment) and then was given the option to retreat from the province or stay and risk making Dunmar angry. I retreated and got a message from Dunmar thanking me for pitching in and viola, our relations had an uptick.

I also like that upgrading provinces is simple, just amass enough gold then click on the province and it upgrades to generate 150 more gold per turn. Some complain that this is too simplistic. I say with over 200 provinces to deal with my head aches at the thought of having to micromanage all of that. Devs, if you are reading this, stick to your guns and keep it simple and focused on the fun parts of this game. I know some will argue that there are ways to eliminate some of the micromanagement but I hope the devs will use their limited time making more needed improvements. We can agree to disagree on this point I think.

In many ways this game requires you to make tough choices, at least in the early game, which really appeals to me. You only have 1 – 4 agents depending on your faction, so you have to balance diplomatic priorities. Some factions have very little gold, so deciding between upgrading a province for the long term return on investment versus buying more troops because a faction is massing theirs on your boarders is appealing to me. The economics of the game, while again simple, are tricky. As Dragonhold I’m finding it challenging to expand and keep my treasury in the black. To capture a province you have to occupy it for a number of turns. Once you annex the province its economy has been degraded to the point where it no longer produces gold. You have to build it back up and after getting off to a quick start and grabbing four provinces from the Iron Barony I’m running out of gold. So I will have to figure out an alternative strategy, which is also appealing.

The AI seems to play a competent game on the strategic level, going after high value provinces when they are left undermanned. And they are all at each other’s throats; this is a war game after all. In my case with the Iron Barony they have stopped attacking Dunmar and seeing my armies as the greater threat are focusing on attacking me. And as the game progresses the quality of their troops improves so it isn’t just garrison trash and the AI is using mixed arms with more ranged and siege units joining the party. I’ll reserve judgement till I’ve played more, but so far nothing I’ve seen from the AI has me worried that it is brain dead.

Tactical: Okay, who here has played a game with an excellent tactical AI that didn’t cheat?

“Crickets”

I didn’t think so. The devs have a way to go to make the AI a more challenging opponent during tactical battles. I have lost a couple battles so far, but that was because I held a province with a small force that was invaded by a much larger force and so I choose to retreat. When I slug it out I’ve won. I know that Das in his Let’s Play Videos said he hasn’t lost a tactical battle, but I also know that in at least two of his videos he said this is the best new game he’s played this year.

Some complain that the AI is too passive, or gets defeated in detail, commits forces piece meal. All fair critiques. From my perspective the AI has been cautious but in ways that make sense to me. When I set up several infantry in a line with shield wall, and back them up with ranged units that provide fire support a la Panzer General/Panzer Corps, it would be suicidal for the AI to launch a frontal assault. So I think it is trying to do what we would do, out flank and eliminate the ranged troops. It just isn’t as good at doing that as a human is.

My hope is that the devs will avoid the chorus of requests on the forums to engage in feature creep and instead work on the AI and a little more polish so that the GUI is more intuitive (more tool tips please).

The best I can hope for is that the AI gives a good challenge and provides an opportunity to master the game mechanics so that I’m ready to take on one of youse guys in multiplayer.

So if you are looking for an engaging, interesting game that will suck you in and keep you up late with that “just one more turn” groove going on, try this out, I think that you will enjoy it.

Cheers.

My impressions from glancing over some videos:

If Fantasy General had a strategic layer and not just a series of scenarios.

If Birthright didn't suck.

Probably have to buy into EA even if it ends up being not so good. They are aiming for something really interesting.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Probably have to buy into EA even if it ends up being not so good. They are aiming for something really interesting.
You sold me on if Birthright didn't suck. I have been searching for such a game for years...

You sold me on if Birthright didn't suck. I have been searching for such a game for years...

Well, obviously it's not Birthright, like you can read from other posts of this thread. It's missing whole sections of game for that. It was just the main map, gameplay on the main map and the game having more than just one abstraction level (strategic and tactical). Those three were enough for my brain to make connection to Birthright.

Mortmal

Arcane
Once its finished it will be as classic as dominion or master of magic.

That's a big claim to make. Hope you're right. Anyway, will keep an eye on this one.

When it comes to 4X , theres an alchemy of strategy , game mechanisms, design,lore, art style and music even that makes you want to play another turn . Its rare to find the right mixture, this game has it, but i requires more cooking . I've been unable to finish a campaign so far cause of bugs. Yet id like to play that more .
I stay with my claim, just hope they wont slack on the bug fixing.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Slitherine always had games with theirs own ideas, which not always were polished, but they were pretty much BUGFEST. It's nice they are doing something on it's own again, but they shouldn't ask general public during early access how to do theirs stuff.

Mortmal

Arcane
Just played all the afternoon cause i have no life, just a few hours . Atfter two beta patch it seems the game is much more stable. havent got a crash yet .Truly worth trying now .

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Okay, I'm going to make the purchase sometime this week, possibly today. Das' youtube videos do a great job showing the game off, and the reviews on steam are near-universally positive. My only hesitation at this point is that the game might get bogged down in endless tit-for-tat tactical battles, but you can always auto-complete the little ones I suppose. I also like how Das is able to use the terrain so well with his dwarves, so maybe the tactical battles never lose their fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom