Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
So, the game being discounted heavily enough, I caved in and bought it.

P. much what you expect: 14 hours of South Park, no new jokes but the old ones are funny if you haven't watched the show for 5-10 years. Combat becomes trivial very quickly as you acquire powerful enough gear. Which is a good thing, since the combat isn't exactly "deep" in any sense. The "abortion scene" and especially the boss fight while dodging your
dad's dangling nutsack
were memorable experiences.

I spent the last portion of the game dressed up as a girl as the slutty female warrior armour was the best I could find. And no-one even commented. Disappointed by the utter lack of romances in this game :(

Deleted member 7219

It's a really fun game. I keep thinking about doing my third playthrough as a wizard (having done warrior and Jew before). I just wish it was longer with more faction play. The kids vs kids stuff was really fun and they could have done more with it. The government thing towards the end also seemed a bit underused. Add an extra 10 hours on top, flesh out the storyline, add more to the factions, maybe toss in some C&Cs, and this could have been one of my all-time favourite RPGs.

As others have said, there was a lot of stuff cut out. Ubisoft said major changes had to be made after they bought the game. It is a miracle Obsidian managed to deliver a quality product considering this. It is fairly obvious when playing through the game that stuff had to go, there was meant to be a goth area, and the mall isn't even accessible. When the game was released I thought this stuff was going to be added in DLC, but it didn't happen and we're a year on from release so now it never will.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Personally I couldn't have stomached any more. Any extra hours would've required something radically different, something that SP itself hasn't really been able to do throughout the years. So in that sense the cuts might actually have made the game better.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
It served for one playthrough, but I don't think I'm returning to it anytime soon (if ever).

Snorkack

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This game matches the TV show perfectly. Fun while it lasts, pretty forgettable afterwards, occassionaly cringeworthy at the edge of bearableness and all in all its been a good decision to keep it rather short.
Still one of the better 2014 RPG experiences.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Next up on "Roguey's fashionably late impressions of a relatively new release."

That pale basement virgin Matt MacLean was right about how you didn't have to be him to play this game. He was a bit wrong about how it wouldn't be "press a button and watch something funny happen" since the number of demanding fights on "hardcore" was comparable to the number in DA2. However (and this is important), Truth Stick is far shorter and much less grindy than DA2 so it's more forgivable. It also has a few harder fights than Super Mario RPG, which I replayed way back in 2012 after this was announced.

What isn't forgivable is the lack of a "sell all junk" button. Should have copied that from DA2.

Something else TS does better than DA2: A three act story that takes place in a single location. Both on account of its shorter length and how you're gradually given new abilities that open up previously inaccessible areas, giving you a more compelling reason to lawn mow the town than "loot and enemies have repopulated." On a somewhat related note, unlike Larian and CD Projekt's cargo cult nonsense, level requirements on equipment here actually makes sense considering you have access to all non-Canadian stores from the start, they start with all their stock, and they didn't want to inflate the prices of mid- and late-game stuff to absurdly implausible prices.

As usual, being able to stack from a bunch of different sources unbalances things in your favor since the gulf between someone who stacks and someone who doesn't can get pretty big.

Not much narrative reactivity for an Obsidian game, I think less than any modern Bioware game. Good thing Matt and Trey aren't Obsidian employees, since that meant Avellone couldn't force them to rewrite it again and again until taking over himself. Though I'm sure they did a lot of rewriting and last-minute writing of their own volition; rolled eyes at the Obamacare website slam. I thought they said they weren't going to do topical humor in this thing? Much better received: that dig at hack Levine's overuse of audio logs.

Favorite and most-demanding fights: the one with the anti-magic elf, the alien pilot, copilot and their buffing machine, the first three nazi zombie soldiers, the small animal army in Canada, Al Gore (though they stretched the joke too far with manbearpig), and that thing near the end with the zombies and zombie cats who seemed to resurrect quicker than usual. The sparrow prince, Chef, and Kenny were also more demanding than usual, but at that point I was used to the regular use of consumables in a fight and Kenny overstayed his welcome. At least that was the only disappointing aspect of the ending; I was really hoping it'd end suddenly with a cut to the Primus credits theme and I got my wish.

Overall I liked this well enough and I think it's a better urban fantasy RPG than Bloodlines; Steamspy sales estimates agree. Obsidian should make more like it, minus the timed hits, plus more reactivity.

Lhynn

Arcane
Overall I liked this well enough and I think it's a better urban fantasy RPG than Bloodlines
I agree with most of it, but this is just wrong...

What do you bean by avellone demanding rewrites before taking over? can you tell me when that has happened?
other than with AP i mean.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

Bloodlines's melee and shooter combat feels terrible and doesn't get demanding until Chinatown, where it puts more emphasis than it should have on that terrible-feeling combat. SP's combat felt fine after the initial adjustment to timed hits and it maintains its quality throughout (except for the last boss).

What do you bean by avellone demanding rewrites before taking over? can you tell me when that has happened?
other than with AP i mean.

Alpha Protocol reference, yeah. He said the biggest reason for the AP rewrites was that it wasn't reactive enough.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Next up on "Roguey's fashionably late impressions of a relatively new release."
Overall I liked this well enough and I think it's a better urban fantasy RPG than Bloodlines

After that retard Iraneus, Roguey's trolling feels somehow refreshing :M

Lhynn

Arcane

Bloodlines's melee and shooter combat feels terrible and doesn't get demanding until Chinatown, where it puts more emphasis than it should have on that terrible-feeling combat. SP's combat felt fine after the initial adjustment to timed hits and it maintains its quality throughout (except for the last boss).

I dont see how the term urban fantasy relates to game feel. Thats like saying the engine of a car isnt good because the car sits are somewhat uncomfortable. If saying than the action of an rpg is better than the action of another rpg is better, thus making it a better rpg overall, that also doesnt make sense. You have barely RPGs like ME2 that by your standard would be better RPGs than fallout or FNV, and we both know that isnt the case.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I dont see how the term urban fantasy relates to game feel. Thats like saying the engine of a car isnt good because the car sits are somewhat uncomfortable. If saying than the action of an rpg is better than the action of another rpg is better, thus making it a better rpg overall, that also doesnt make sense. You have barely RPGs like ME2 that by your standard would be better RPGs than fallout or FNV, and we both know that isnt the case.

I'm saying when it comes to games that take place in an urban fantasy setting (or suburban in South Park's case), I'd rather play South Park. Unfortunately, the number of urban fantasy wrpgs is extremely low.

DarKPenguiN

Arcane
I loved the exploration and the humor in the game but thought the combat was total shit with all the timed presses and such. between the horrible combat and the fact you couldn't keymap (you right handed people havnt a clue how lucky you are when it comes to PC gaming) I never finished the game and I dont really expect to. This is one game I think I would way rather play on a console than a PCbut even then I think the combat killed the game for me.

All in all I still thought it was fun for a but and worth the money. I literally spit coffee out of my nose when I tried to use fast travel for the first time and heard the horses galloping and then saw timmy pull up in his wheelchair. That was some funny shit.made it worth it.

Alfons

Prophet
It was a simple and fun game if SouthPark brand humor is up your alley.

If you are a fan od south park it's an awesome game.

If you don't find it funny then it's mediocre at best. The game is fucking easy and while the combat is fun at a certain point it becomes so easy that they might as well had a skip battle button. At that point, it's all about the story and humor and if those aren't your cup of tea then you have no reason to proceed.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I loved Bloodlines, but on the other hand I always play with cheats.

:kfc:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...ark-the-stick-of-truth-have-been-shipped.aspx

Five Million Copies Of South Park: The Stick Of Truth Have Been Shipped

While the path to release was rocky, South Park: The Stick of Truth was well-received by critics and fans. Ubisoft has today announced just how successful the game is.

On its third quarter earnings call today, the publisher shared that the Obsidian-developed RPG has shipped 5 million copies. At E3 this year, the company announced a sequel is in the works.

Where The Stick of Truth spoofed fantasy tropes, The Fractured But Whole riffs on super hero themes. South Park has featured a number of episodes with the cast taking on hero personas, giving Ubisoft San Francisco a foundation from on to build.

The next game in the series is due during fiscal year 2017. This places release no later than March 31, 2017, provided there is no delay.

Second best-selling Obsidian developed game, I guess.

Perkel

Arcane
An poor bastards still cunt get to do a sequel, no fuckin luck at all.

Or maybe they are doing sequel to RPG and UBI team does their action based game.
But yeah getting fucked is like second obsidian nature at this point.

Hope they will go more for more smaller projects like PoE with ocasional collaboration then when they will be able to earn some actual money fund their own triple AAA RPG without pub strings.

lyxsue

Barely Literate
Really hope the South Park sequel could be made by Obsidian.
like the show and like the game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I just realised that Ubisoft has employed several of the Stick of Truth animators for fractured but whole.

Flou

Arbiter
Yes, they did. I found a couple when I was searching for people who work on Tyranny. Makes sense for Ubi to hire them for the project since they know how to create that look.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Which of these are for the game, and which are for DLC? I don't understand all the codes used.
http://www.kinguin.net/catalogsearch/result/index/?q=stick+of+truth
Also, is there a region lock I need to watch out for? I've never used kinguin, and this is all very complicated.
Just buy the base game Steam key. I've never heard of a Steam key being region locked. I think I got a kinguin key once and it was fine. "Fellowship pack" and whatnot is garbage DLC you don't need, there's too much of the base game as it is.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

But there's a "Steam CD Key" and a "Steam Gift". Which one do I choose?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom