Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth (PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION)

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Yeah but Terrance and Phillip are supposed to be ironic or meta-toilet humour. Or something. To be honest it's the only part of the series I never truly understood.

But you did understand them. It is ironic, meta-toilet humor, a commentary on how the show itself was perceived by many at the time. I guess at the beginning it was also supposed to be a parody of Itchy and Scratchy but they dropped the idea of making it a recurrent gag after the show settled in (mind you that i stopped watching the show after season twelve, after which i'm sure they started to recycle a lot of their older catch phrases or tropes). Personally, i think the show really took off with season four, with the first seasons having too much random for the sake of random and trololo, with Terrance and Phillip being a part of that.
The earlier episodes have way more catch phrases and shticks. "screw you guys I'm going home", "oh my god, they killed kenny", a lot more terrance & phillip, jews are greedy, satan is gay, etc

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
gamesware.at says that the german version is censored and the jew class is named "Paladin".

How fitting, when I think of noble paladins, jews also always come to mind. :lol:

"A paladin, huh? So I guess we'll never really be friends.":keepmyjewgold:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
But you did understand them. It is ironic, meta-toilet humor, a commentary on how the show itself was perceived by many at the time. I guess at the beginning it was also supposed to be a parody of Itchy and Scratchy but they dropped the idea of making it a recurrent gag after the show settled in (mind you that i stopped watching the show after season twelve, after which i'm sure they started to recycle a lot of their older catch phrases or tropes). Personally, i think the show really took off with season four, with the first seasons having too much random for the sake of random and trololo, with Terrance and Phillip being a part of that.

Terence and Phillip started as a meta-commentary on how people accused South Park of being just toilet humor when it first debuted, but that was just the starting point for their characters. At their heart they are more absurdism than meta-commentary and I think they work as characters entirely apart from the meta-commentary. "Not without my Anus" is one of my favorite episodes ever, and not as any sort of meta-humor. It's all just straight up absurdism and non-sensical silliness and parodies of bad TV melodrama and American perceptions of Canadians.

Plus, the first good episode of South Park was "Rainforest Schmainforest," which was the first episode of season 3. Then the series hit its prime beginning with the movie (I still see the movie as the quintessential South Park. It never got better than that).

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
this game is gonna make obsidian some nice cash me thinks. reviews won't matter. offended journalists will just fuel the fire, and no-one will give a shit about the ratings.

man o man, this is good for the future of The Incline.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that SPSoT will become the best-selling game of the year.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Plus, the first good episode of South Park was "Rainforest Schmainforest,"

I think the pilot was good too. I find it interesting that it took them so long to get their stride, its like they didn't expect their show was going anywhere and they had no idea what to do with it.

this game is gonna make obsidian some nice cash me thinks. reviews won't matter. offended journalists will just fuel the fire, and no-one will give a shit about the ratings.

man o man, this is good for the future of The Incline.

I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that SPSoT will become the best-selling game of the year.
And all the money will go to ubisoft.
Will be good for Obsidian's image though.

Edit: Ninja'd by Xor

Duraframe300

Arcane
So apparently the South Park game will be heavily censored in the usual countries:

Germany for example will have the "jew" class renamed.
To what? Something more topical, like Middle East Migrant Worker?

Paladin.

But the Paladin class already exists, Butters is one. So now Butters is a Jew?

It wasn't renamed. It turned out to be a mistake in regards to the pre-order bonuses.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Yeah sorry about that, the Jew class will not be renamed for the German version. Several Websites reported about it, but apparently you can't believe everything that is written on the Internet!
What they censor for the German version are Nazi symbols as per usual.

Duraframe300

Arcane
The european console versions got censored. PC is unaffected.
Rating for the console versions doesn't seem to change at all, so nobody knows why it was even censored in the first place.
1393334863-south-park-the-stick-of-truth-review-guide.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Yet another reason why people should be buying the PC version. Still don't understand why people who have PCs keep getting games on consoles. Fine if it is Last of Us or some other exclusive, but it's got a PC version, get that one.

Caim

Arcane
But wait, when we superior PC gamers get that abortion scene with Randy Marsh, is it him we abort via time travel stuff, or do we abort his child?

Subquestion for the second scenario: is said child Stan? Sub-subquestion: is that how we recruit him in the game? Because that woudl mean that Saints Row IV and Mass Effect 2 ain't got shit on this game's recruitment missions.

Horus

Arcane
Istanbul-Constantinople-Byzantium-Piece of land.
Yet another reason why people should be buying the PC version. Still don't understand why people who have PCs keep getting games on consoles. Fine if it is Last of Us or some other exclusive, but it's got a PC version, get that one.
Actually, there are three main reasons for that for me.

• Some games come cheaper on consoles.
  • Playing with second player(Cooperative or agains) is easier and better on big tv sceen.
  • Some games are simply more suited to controller.(Which can be bought for pc but i didn't needed one when i got a PS3 myself)
PC is generally superior, but playing on consoles have it's upsides too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom