Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

South Park: The Stick of Truth

Tigranes

Arcane
As I kept saying last page and about 17 other places, yes, mouse lag was a huge problem and basically the one bug that really contributed to its terrible reception at release (since many players weren't even aware that it was a specific bug). It is of course a valid problem.

My point is that it wasn't the minigames themselves or the minigame related skills that were badly designed. They were actually quite good as far as minigames go.

Still haven't tried SP...

We are talking about Alpha Protocol mini games. :D
Oh I know, I was just ignoring the last half a page or so before that post and responding to when people were talking about South Park's minigame diifficulty.

Haven't played AP so I don't know what the hell.

Tigranes

Arcane
Gentlemen, i have received a gift copy of SP. Should i wait for a second patch? Has anyone discovered a way to mod for greater difficulty?

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Gentlemen, i have received a gift copy of SP. Should i wait for a second patch? Has anyone discovered a way to mod for greater difficulty?
My playtime has been nearly bug-free. Is there evidence that a second patch is even in the works? I mean, there probably is, but I wouldn't hold my breath for it.

I would say don't wait for an official patch, but do wait for a difficulty mod if you have reason to believe that one will exist soon. If you don't have reason to, just play the game as chewing gum. It's fun even if the combat is too easy. Don't play it all in one sitting, though.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Unless Ubi really pulls a Sega you might as well if you can wait a few days.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014
2014-03-28_00002_zps19a0e80e.jpg

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I played around with the .oaf files trying to figure out how to extract from them; they seem like a pretty basic archive file. The file names are all listed at the end of the archive. But I couldn't find anything that looked like a list of offsets or file sizes. If someone writes a file extractor I would definitely take a crack at writing a difficulty increase mod.

Duraframe300

Arcane
I played around with the .oaf files trying to figure out how to extract from them; they seem like a pretty basic archive file. The file names are all listed at the end of the archive. But I couldn't find anything that looked like a list of offsets or file sizes. If someone writes a file extractor I would definitely take a crack at writing a difficulty increase mod.

There is one for Dungeon Siege 3 around. Should work.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

There is one for Dungeon Siege 3 around. Should work.
I didn't realize DS3 used oaf files. That will make this much easier.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My point is that it wasn't the minigames themselves or the minigame related skills that were badly designed. They were actually quite good as far as minigames go.
Hacking was a legitimately bad, headache-inducing minigame. The others were okay though.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't get why people call minigames minigames where none of them is either game or fun. It is more like timefiller.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I don't get why people call minigames minigames where none of them is either game or fun. It is more like timefiller.
Who the fuck cares if you call minigames minigames? Is that all you have to say?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Finished it last night,not a bad game but the gameplay is simplistic and it gets boring,it's funny but I guess it would be funnier for a fan of the show(I see Tom isn't getting out of the closet any time soon).Probably isn't worth the full price,it's not a gtreat game and it's pretty short for a single player game with no replayability,better get it at a Steam sale for 50% off

P.S. It does gets some points though for letting me beat up nazi zombies as David Hasselhoff

Last edited:

Grimlorn

Arcane
Game is ok. There is some humor there. It isn't worth more than $20 in my opinion. A lot of the humor is just callbacks to previous episodes. There isn't enough new humor. It gets some points for Matt and Trey trolling you in the game a few times.

Seems like there is just a lot cut out of the game. Just so much potential squandered. At the end you see a little cutscene of the final area with different characters from the series as your enemies, but you don't actually fight any of them at the end of the game. They were probably cut to make it shorter.

They should have focused on writing more for the game and not necessarily on creating so much junk to collect/sell. Maybe less callbacks. More options in combat would have been a bit nice. It felt like you had to stack bleed damage to kill everything and that was it.

flushfire

Augur
I finished the game just fine on the highest diff. w/o stacking anything, I'm not even sure why you'd need to, most enemies died in 3-5 turns. Even the Al Gore fight didn't make that necessary. You can even kill off a decent number of trash mobs using the environment or just flat out avoid them, both good options IMO.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As a South Park game, it was great. As an rpg, it was passable. There was never any real challenge as long as you time your attacks and defend perfectly. Played with a controller and didn't encounter any difficulties in learning magic. Now, taking a shit, was not as easy as it seems. Almost broke my fingers on that. Soundtrack was surprisingly good. I don't regret the money I spent on this, but it isn't my favorite Obsidian game. Still beats Dungeon Siege III overall.

Tigranes

Arcane
Alright, finally fired up the gift copy.
(1) Game is too simple to be any more than a time waster, and designed that way from the very beginning. The reflex crits in combat is fine but would it have been so terrible to at least have grid movement and AOE attacks?
(2) Since you can do more than one action a turn, and your HP/PP all seem to regenerate after each battle, well. It would have been interesting if those two things were disabled.
(3) Haven't laughed a single time, but that's what I get for not liking SP I guess.

Otherwise, great! Smooth, looks just like SP, all mechanics work well together. *shrug* We'll see how long I get before the boredom crushes the will.

Lhynn

Arcane
You know what kills me? that the people saying that the game isnt worth 60 bucks is people that say it purely because it doesnt have next gen graphics or that its not as long as kingdoms of amalur.

Perkel

Arcane
maybe on codex. From what i see game sells like hot cakes and is in top 3-4 steam constantly and in places like redit people are saying it is good.
I don't know the number but from publicity it generates in various places i think it is safe to say game will reach 6-7mln coppies.

Game is absolutely worth every dollar. It's not good RPG but at least it does what it was supposed to do. Be a proper South Park game which isn't really easy to do considering how many shitty SP games T&P worked with.

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
I agree that it was a good game. It's not an rpg milestone by any means, but it's an enjoyable old-school japano-style rpg dressed up in South Park regalia (this, and the fact that obsidian made it, is the only only reason i bought the game as i am not a fan of those type of games). It was worth every Euro spent.
It's also incredibly stable - so stable as to be on par with the standards of earlier blizzard releases, through 20 hours of gameplay i've encountered 1 ctd, thats it.
Maybe it's because i waited 15 days from release date and they patched it up real good, but it is still good to see a working Obsidian game.

Perkel

Arcane
That is probably because of what Ulquart has said earlier about their new motto to not release bugged games. Their multiproject and financial situation probably also helps them not accepting shitty deals in which pubs can force to release unfinished mess like in FNV case.

recently also Larian said something similar to case above in which their publisher due them having money issues caused early release of game not even informing Swen about it which naturally caused shitty reviews.

Last edited:

WetWorks

Arcane
Patron
That's probably true, although that RPS review had me convinced that Obsidian had bugged out once again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom