Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Soulsborne] What builds did you find stronger for each game?

Silva

Arcane
Lets say I want to steamroll though each game of the series. What builds do you find most overpowered as to make the each a piece of cake?

DS1 - my pure Pyro was pretty OP but I heard an Hexer was too.

DS2 - don't fucking know as I finished this just once and with some difficulty with a pure Thief/Dex.

DS3 - went pure Pyro again and its even easier then in DS1. I suspect hexer is shittier here due to the Nerf it suffered.

BB - heard a pure Str with Hunter Axe makes the game redundant but never tried it. My pure Arcane steamrolls nicely from midgame onwards, but it was kinda shitty until there.

I heard Darkmoon Blade spells are OP as fuck in all games but I never tried it.

Walden

Savant
Seriously, Bloodborne and not Demon's Souls?

I'll have your balls to get them to Sage Freke.
tumblr_m8nmi3kgWD1qcjglso1_r1_500.gif

DS - never played
DS 1 - went sorcerer then abyss/dark sorcerer, pretty fun
DS 2 - started sorcerer then reallocated into hexer, hexer was way more fun
Bloodborne - never played
DS 3 - played sorcerer again had the most awful time until the very end were the build sort of pulls through, didn't even try dark spells because they all blow

All in all I dunno about overpowered, I think it's what about your personal style and what you want to play and what you're comfortable with

Except in 3, where you can just grab a straight sword and R1 your way to victory

Vorark

Erudite
Keep in mind I only played these games once.

DS1 - Had no idea what I was doing. I started with Wanderer so just pumped DEX and picked up pyromancy later. It was alright, considering most enemies were easy to cheese and fire was good to deal with those blobs in Blightown. Used boring long swords.
DS2 - Club all the way + longbow to pull enemies. It was just fun to hulk smash things.
DS3 - Broadsword, Great Club + Miracles. Wanted to go club all the way but shitty broadsword killed everything so quickly that I ended up saving the club to those annoying harpies and the chubby spellcasters. Seems you need to go fast in DS3 in order to stunlock enemies.

Except in 3, where you can just grab a straight sword and R1 your way to victory

So true. :negative:

Hyperion

Arcane
Demon's Souls - Start as a Royal, have infinite MP through Royal's Ring. Get enough strength wield to most basic weapons, pump faith, enchant them with blessed and wreck house.

Dark Souls - Start a new game, kill the Sword Black Knight in Undead Burg, and the Halberd Black Knight outside of Darkroot Garden. Restart the character till you get at least one to drop their weapon. Get just enough stats to wield it (Sword has lower requirement), then pump Vit. Use Havel + FAP Ring. Farm Stone Set from the Knights in Darkroot. Congratulations, you just completed your build before taking on the Gargoyles. If you die, you suck.

Dark Souls 2 - Start as Cleric for the free Mace. Make sure your agility stat is at least 100 ASAP. Upgrade to either Pancaking Great Hammer, or one of the many Greatswords for more speed. Late-game, you'll get the Red Iron (T)winblade. If you really wanna go full retard-strength, enchant your Crypt Blacksword with Dark, with minimal stats and go full Hexer. You'll have over 700 AR.

Dark Souls 3 - Start Knight, get Astora Straight Sword. Make it Raw. Good upgrades from there include Exile Greatsword, Vordt's Great Hammer, Claymore, anything big and heavy. Blessed Weapon is your go to enchant. 15% more AR. Works wonders for big shit.

Bloodborne - Hunter's Axe and Pistol. Congrats, you win.

Last edited:

Jokzore

Arbiter
I'm a bitch and terrible at dodging things, this results in me hiding behind greatshields and relying on blocking for the most part.
DS1- Quality Claymore + Eagle Shield
DS2- The only one where i had some balls , FTH/STR build using Defender Greatsword, miracles purely for buffing and a Grass Crest shield i kept on my back just for the stamina bonus.
DS3- Reverted to my old bitch ways, Heavy Dark Sword + Havel Greatshield/Black Knight Shield, until i got Millwood Battle Axe in the first DLC.

Since the Ringed City DLC reignited my interest in the game I'm gonna try something that doesn't involve just locking onto an enemy and strafing right waiting for an opening ... Onyx Blade perhaps

Last edited:

Max Stats

Liturgist
Tend to like axes in BB ans DS3, though kind of switched to the sword in the old hunters. DS2 I just tried to copy what I saw someone using effectively in an LP I was watching. Didn't put enough time in DS1 or Demon's to have much opinion.

Since I basically started with BB (I'd played a very little of Demons and just didn't "get" it at the time) even in DS2-3 I pretty much eschew shields.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Bleed builds are the best in DS 3, I did a run where I only died like 5 or 6 times.

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Pure strength + Def works awesome in all of them.

6887655fb32eee9f207a9b7ab2214100.jpg

BB: Hunters Axe, rofl, no honestly this game is ez with strength.
DES: Meat Cleaver, Greataxe, DBS
DS: Greataxe, Man-Serpent-Greatsword, Server
DS2: Greataxe, Bandits Greataxe, Gyrm Axe/Greataxe, Greatsword, FUME UGS
DS3: Greataxe, Fume UGS, Dragonslayer Greataxe

You just gotta learn your timings and everything explodes....

sullynathan

Arcane
Demons Souls - You either cheese with magic, or get Soulbrandt/Demonbrandt later on. They are literally the strongest weapons in the game and are pretty fast, no need for buffing with them either. Get Northern Regalia when you beat the game once. Nothing else really matters because pretty much every other weapon I used had lower damage output than them. Get second chance.

Dark Souls 1 - sorceries are the way to go. Zweihander is good too and can be found really early.

Dark Souls 2 - really get the great club or large club and spank every enemy. Really fun to use, buff and enchant and slam. Other two hand weapons are good too. Get tears of denial.

Dark Souls 3 - get a greatsword primarily lothric greatsword, black knight greatsword, bastard sword or drakeblood greatsword and a black/silver knight shield and upgrade to +5. You'll easily spank every enemy because of how stable yours shields are and most of those swords can be buffed. Dragonslayer Greataxe is also another greatweapon for 2 handing but you'll have to get it later or try earlier by beating the dancer. The weapon art is great. Also use tears of denial to not die when you don't want to.

Bloodborne - Ludwigs Holy blade has the most damage in the base game and very good range.

If you are willing, you can watch Ray's videos in which he easily beats all bosses with his OP builds.

Dark Souls 1 is ez,2 ezier, 3 eziest.
other way around

While skipping the best one.
Seriously, Bloodborne and not Demon's Souls?

I'll have your balls to get them to Sage Freke.

Well seeing as how Demons Souls is the worst of them, I'd say that he's fine.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Demon's Souls was by far the best in the Souls franchise, never found any that hard really but further into the Dark franchise they got less and less punishing as well as boss fights being way too easy, I breezed through DS 3 with ease and dying just meant you respawned at a bonfire not too far away where-as Demon's Souls you'd lose up to hours of gameplay when you died. I still enjoyed DS 3 a lot though.

sullynathan

Arcane
Demon's Souls was by far the best in the Souls franchise, never found any that hard really but further into the Dark franchise they got less and less punishing as well as boss fights being way too easy, I breezed through DS 3 with ease and dying just meant you respawned at a bonfire not too far away where-as Demon's Souls you'd lose up to hours of gameplay when you died. I still enjoyed DS 3 a lot though.

Demons souls is the worst soulsborne game with the lowest amount of quality in the series by virtue of being the first in the series. I don't care about how hard the souls games are, they're only hard when it is your first time. The later games are far better designed with more consistent quality, better level design, more replayability, less broken, better combat (obvious), bosses, music, atmosphere and mechanics.

On the topic of bosses, again Demons Souls is far behind all the other souls games. There are only 3 good demons souls bosses and it relies far too much on bullshit gimmicks that stifles replatability and fun. I don't give a fuck about the various poo poo monsters because of things nor do I care about a giant fat golden butcher that can only be hurt in one place.

You should absolutely breeze through Dark Souls 3 because it is the final game in this series and it only retreads on things previous games in series introduced.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
Demon's Souls had much better combat the hits were registered extremely well, as well as the hit detection, hitboxes had a 1:1 ratio, which were all way off in DS 3 and DS 3's actual combat is just a braindead R-1 spamfest for the most part. As for the level design, I much preferred the level design in Demon's Souls and that hub system was really cool. I do agree with you somewhat in terms of difficulty, my first playthrough of DS 1 I had quite a lot of trouble in a few areas, replayed it recently and smashed through it with ease, regardless they aren't hard games at all, but respect your skill, dying in DS 3 meant nothing, there were bonfires scattered all over the place which is another thing that disappointed me heavily.

sullynathan

Arcane
Demon's Souls had much better combat the hits were registered extremely well, as well as the hit detection, hitboxes had a 1:1 ratio, which were all way off in DS 3 and DS 3's actual combat is just a braindead R-1 spamfest for the most part. As for the level design, I much preferred the level design in Demon's Souls and that hub system was really cool. I do agree with you somewhat in terms of difficulty, my first playthrough of DS 1 I had quite a lot of trouble in a few areas, replayed it recently and smashed through it with ease, regardless they aren't hard games at all, but respect your skill, dying in DS 3 meant nothing, there were bonfires scattered all over the place which is another thing that disappointed me heavily.
No it wasn't, the hit reg is pretty bad.

This is funny actually. Demons souls, bloodborne and dark souls 3 have no poise. In all three of these games you can easily get by through r1 spam. Difference is that demons souls doesn't have bloodborne and dark souls 3 mechanics.

You can stun lock a good amount of the humanoid bosses in demons souls and hyper armor is non-existent in demons souls. You can be at the end of the animation for a hit and an enemies attack will cancel yours.

I don't give a fuck about the hubs. I actually believe that the focus on hubs that every souls game except dark souls 1 has is a problem. I do not want to constantly go back to the nexus/majula/ firelink shrine/hunters dream to level up and upgrade, I'd rather do it on the fly. The worst thing is that farming becomes a nuisance in demons souls because you'll always have to go back to the nexus and then go back to the location you want.

Same for the annoying healing system that dark souls improved. You don't know how trivial the game becomes when you can get 99 full moon grass.

Also the bonfire system was better than the use of arch stones. Demons souls level design is linear in a way that I don't like. Most levels start at a bonfire and expect you to directly follow a line to a boss. There are Few shortcuts to be found and every boss must be beat. There are only 2 great worlds in demons souls. Stonefang Tunnel and Boletarian palace. Tower of Latria is very good depending on the Ai's behavior.
Valley of poo poo and shrine of storms end up being pretty bad. They're both clusterfucks of poor mechanics and poor bosses. I much prefer the way world design and level design is handled in dark souls 1.

I Like how I'm able to ignore or skip content at my leisure and I much prefer the vertical level design that connects different areas together over whatever demons souls had.

Even the world tendency system that is supposed to reward the player if they don't die much or punish if they die too much is broken as all hell.

The upgrade system is ridiculous in the amount of items needed to just fully upgrade a weapon even though every upgrade item is rare and soulbrandt, Demonbrandt and northern regalia are better than every single weapon in the game.

Magic is also more broken than every single souls game and I thought dark souls 1 magic was broken.

Demon's souls ends up being a rather weird game.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
No the reg was 100% accurate in Demon's Souls, it has the franchise best hit detection. I liked having bosses that required more than just dodging their attacks then r-1 spamming them and liked that you needed to find bosses weaknesses in Demon's Souls, made it a lot more fun than dodge, predictable attack spam r-1 repeat. Going to replay it when my PS3 gets fixed.

sullynathan

Arcane
No the reg was 100% accurate in Demon's Souls, it has the franchise best hit detection. I liked having bosses that required more than just dodging their attacks then r-1 spamming them and liked that you needed to find bosses weaknesses in Demon's Souls, made it a lot more fun than dodge, predictable attack spam r-1 repeat. Going to replay it when my PS3 gets fixed.
But all you did in demons souls was dodge a boss then r1 spam. Hell the strongest boss in demons souls can even be stun locked a bit.

I don't know anyone that actually likes the gimmick bosses like dragon God that can one shot you with fire but all you have to do is run and press two buttons.

Or is the storm God great because you just have to press r1 four times instead of fighting it?

You should replay it, it'll clear Your eyes.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
I played it again not so long ago, and it's really the only game in the franchise that has me constantly on edge. The others are just far too easy and not punishing at all. I was pissed at how dumbed down DS 1 was from Demon's.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm never on the edge in Demons Souls except when fighting the False king or flamelurker. Their fights are quite hectic and punishing on NG+ and onward. No world really puts me on the edge except the shrine of storms because of how frustratingly bullshit it can be to randomly die by an arrow that doesn't even hit my character.

how dumbed down DS 1 was from Demon's
how so?

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
That arrow hit you, git gud. Dark Souls 1 was childs play compared to Demons, I've done completely naked runs with ease.

this thread :

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

DeS nostalgia fags are the worst.

I love DeS setting and storyline. Boletaria is probably the best dark fantasy setting i have played but when it comes to gameplay everything else is better in next games. Literally everything. From framerate, graphics, ost, online, hitboxes, pvp, co-op to estus flasks, covenants, magic with 4 different and distinct schools, more armor and weapons, dual wielding, power-stancing, etc. Dont even mention retarded shit like world/character tendencies or item burden or farming pure bladestone.

I am not even going to argue the bosses because shit like sir Alonne, Gael or Ludwig the Accursed are better than all DeS bosses combined.

Having said that i wil still do my yearly playthrough of DeS until my ps3 finally die:positive:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
DeS - Int trivializes the game. You can easily kill bosses with a few spells and most enemies aren't equipped to deal with ranged attacks.
DaS - SWOLE. Lift up that strength, cheese with the rings from havel and lautrec and use a 2h weapon with high defense high poise armor. You can out heal attacks uninterrupted with high poise and flinching bosses and enemies with 2h weapons is quite easy. Not to mention that they hit like a truck.
DaS 2 - Early on Faith caster was where it's at. Dunno what's the most OP build now.
Bloodborne - Bloodtinge is bitchy to pull off at first, but it's incredibly powerful starting from the mid game when you get gems, better guns and, most importantly, bone marrow ash.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom