Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sonic Generations

Repressed Homosexual
I got this with a promo from Greenmangaming. While I didn't hate many of the Sonic games done in the last ten years (I think only Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 2006 were real stinkers), it was never quite as good as the early Genesis games, and the first Sonic Adventure. The problem mostly stems from all of Sonic's "friends" which have playing styles that considerably slow down the gameplay, hubs which also slow down the gameplay, and other Sonic forms which... you guess it. The reason for this is that for Sonic Team, it's very hard, long and costly to craft 3D levels which have Sonic running at lightning speed all the times, so they add other activities in.

This time, the problem was taken care of by shortening the lenght of the game, by making you revisit each level multiple times (once in 2.5D form that plays like Genesis Sonic, once in 3D form that plays like Sonic Adventure with bits of classic Sonic, and a few challenges which are based on assets and environments from the level).

The game is really a joy to play, with never a dull or slow moment, and clever level design in glorious, modern 3D graphics. The PC port is quite decent and it's relatively easy to get 1080p and 60FPS on a modern PC with all the effects on.

I suppose most people will just wait for the Steam holiday sale, which could be understandable considering how short and kina repetitive the game is, but this is a great Sonic to be sure.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Is the gameplay still just "goes fast" without real platforming? Or did they add the platforming back from the good genesis Sonic games?

Hobo Elf said:
Is the gameplay still just "goes fast" without real platforming? Or did they add the platforming back from the good genesis Sonic games?
No real platforming in the modern Sonic sections, some in the classic Sonic stages but not as much as there used to be. They even say that modern Sonic's versions of the stages sections tend to be harder than classic's :roll:

But still, the best new Sonic game since SA1 I reckon. The updated soundtrack from the originals' is just that in most cases, updated, and not totally fucking shat on which is a big plus.

tetsuo

Scholar
Definitely my favorite modern sonic game so far (not that this means mutch since almost every other Sonic in the last 10 years sucked) and a very good Pc Port too , it still plays best with a gamepad but well thats just the nature of the game.

Repressed Homosexual
It does feel like 5 hours of nothing but fan service. It makes you think what fans really want, it seems they aren't going to be satisfied with anything but exact replicas of Genesis Sonic and Sonic Adventure 1.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Sonic 1,2,3 from Genesis > Sonic Generations >>>>> other Sonic games

And only because besides modern decline where you just hold X and do little else it has classic gameplay, although decline a bit compared to originals.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I saw a gameplay video. Classic sonic zones look okay, apart from the weird zooming. But dreamcast sonic can go headbutt a dick.

Humanity has risen! said:
It does feel like 5 hours of nothing but fan service. It makes you think what fans really want, it seems they aren't going to be satisfied with anything but exact replicas of Genesis Sonic and Sonic Adventure 1.
Because making exact copies of old games is the only way to make sure current developers don't fuck up. I'd rather have remakes with better tech than reimagined sequels...

racofer

Thread Incliner
I'm quite confident I can have much more fun with my small, 10mb worth of roms than this 10gb bloated piece of crap.

Repressed Homosexual
Oh, I forgot the Sonic Rings Wii game, and the Knight game as complete horrors. The Rings game especially is the worst platformer I've ever played, and it has the WORST game music EVER. Sonic moves itself in insultingly simple on-rails levels that you have to do over and over again and you control it with horribly unresponsive motion controls. The only game I've played in my life that I could qualify as torture.

Just one of the abominable tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYj4pVCc4hk

LET THE SPEEED MEND IT!!

gromit

Arcane
MetalCraze said:
Sonic CD > Sonic 2 / 3 / S&K >>> 1 >>>>>>>>>>>>> other Sonic games
Fixed that for you. The rest of you, stop acting like the first Sonic Adventure wasn't the worst of the lot.

I have yet to play Sonic Generations, but it will be the first in a while I bother to try. Really, I can't believe it took them this long to actually do it, given Sega got harassed more about doing exactly this, than they ever did about ever finishing Shenmue.

Black

Arcane
Saw just a bit of it, must say that after all those shitty "realistic" shooters like bf3 and such this looks like a nice change.

Lightknight

Liturgist
Sonic CD > Sonic 2 / 3 / S&K
What was so special about that crippled Sonic CD game ? Its the same crappy Sonic1 gameplay and bad level design, but with an intro ? Meh, crap. Sonic starts with 2 for me, there was no 1 or CD, didnt exist.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
We tried to play a Sonic and the Secret Rings drinking game when we moved into our flat. We managed to get to the dinosaur level before we all just sorrowfully put the drinks away and went to bed. The horror was just... too much.

I liked SA2 when I was 12 or so, but I doubt it'd hold up now. Enjoyed the Genesis games when I got around to playing them on emulator, but other than S3&K - which I really liked - I didn't find them as memorable as all that, think I'm more of a Mario type. Never tried CD, though. Played SA1 for the first time a couple of years ago and found it pretty bland, to be honest.

The Rush games for the DS were surprisingly good; 1 had too many frustrating pitfalls, but I found 2 got the balance just right. Might give this one a try at some point.

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
racofer said:
I'm quite confident I can have much more fun with my small, 10mb worth of roms than this 10gb bloated piece of crap.

:thumbsup:
me, I'd rather stick with my 10gb of arcade mame roms
to be fair it does look they took out all the character bloat and tried to do something with classic sonic so it qualifies as best sonic since the 2D games and that short 3 act thing they did recently

Excidium said:

bro check this shit out
http://lparchive.org/Sonic-The-Hedgehog-2006/

skip through the guys talking and enjoy the glorious 3D gameplay

I'd only advise watching just the first few parts but something this bad really has to be experienced to be believed

seriously modern rpg developers have a long way to go in running a franchise into the ground compared to this

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
Admiral jimbob said:
We tried to play a Sonic and the Secret Rings drinking game when we moved into our flat. We managed to get to the dinosaur level before we all just sorrowfully put the drinks away and went to bed. The horror was just... too much.
:codexisfor:

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Hey bitches, stop dissing Sonic 1. It has some shitty areas like the lava and waterslide stages, but it still is a good game.

I can understand you might not like it much if you started with Sonic 2, though.

sgc_meltdown said:
Excidium said:

bro check this shit out

I'd only advise watching just the first few parts but something this bad really has to be experienced to be believed

seriously modern rpg developers have a long way to go in running a franchise into the ground compared to this
I remember when I used to think Sonic 3D was the shittiest Sonic game ever.

I'm always hearing good things about Sonic Colors, for the Wii. There's a DS version, but I never really fired up the rom here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4O3w0SEuVM

So it plays like the 360/PS3 Sonic Unleashed day stages without the werehog... This may actually be the best 3D Sonic game in years.

I watched the Sonic & the Black Knight cutscenes on youtube, worth the lulz.

Sonic: *runs King Arthur through with a sword*

Arthur: GRAAARGH *dies*

Sonic: Yeah! I did it :) *strikes pose*

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Admiral jimbob said:
I liked SA2 when I was 12 or so, but I doubt it'd hold up now.

SA2 was actually surprisingly well done. Although they crammed the levels full of secrets that were slow and hard to find, they were also designed so that you could speedrun through almost any of them once you acquired the skill. It plays like the old genesis games in that regard. While you're unskilled and unfamiliar, you need to be cautious, but once you know the levels, you can blitz through them without thinking twice about anything. I'll agree the other characters dragged it down though, especially the Tails/Eggman levels were really out of place.

The Sonic/Shadow levels were right on the money gameplay wise though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bQmB34PAB0

gromit

Arcane
Lightknight said:
Sonic CD > Sonic 2 / 3 / S&K
What was so special about that crippled Sonic CD game ? Its the same crappy Sonic1 gameplay and bad level design, but with an intro ? Meh, crap. Sonic starts with 2 for me, there was no 1 or CD, didnt exist.
I'm posting this video just so nobody else gets confused by your nonsense ;)

lightbane

Arcane
sgc_meltdown said:
bro check this shit out

Funny you say that, there's a Sonic game so bad that even the developers pretend it does not exist: Sonic RPG, made by Bioware.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom