Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Someone decent at statistics needed -- help debunk Lhynn's claim

Lhynn

Arcane
The only way a level 7 fighter could even survive one round against a Solar, much less defeat it, is through incredible incompetence and/or pity from the DM. It's not a real challenge if your DM isn't even trying.
The solar prepared an arrow, i got close and kept him from actually shooting by hitting it with mah sword. after that he pulled his sword and i blocked his attacks while getting in some of my own, kept at it until his hp went below 0.
That DM in particular was trying extremely hard to get us kiled and in fact had a couple of us before during the same campaign.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
A solar has spells as a 15th-level priest with major access to all spheres. In addition to the powers common to aasimon, solars have the following spell-like powers: animate object (3 times per day), antipathy/sympathy (3 times per day), astral spell (once per day), commune, confusion (3 times per day), control weather, creeping doom (once per day), dispel evil, dispel magic, Drawmij’s instant summons, earthquake (3 times per day), finger of death (once per day), fire storm (once per day), heal, holy word (3 times per day), imprisonment (once per day), improved invisibility, infravision (240 feet, always active), mass charm (3 times per day), permanency (3 times per day), polymorph any object or self (once per day), power word (any variety, once per day), prismatic spray (once per day), restoration (once per day), resurrection (3 times per day), shape change (3 times per day), symbol (any variety, 3 times per day), vanish (3 times per day), vision (once per day), wind walk (7 times per day), and wish (once per day).
If your DM really wanted to kill you, he wouldn't have been fucking around with bow and sword. And even if you fought it in an antimagic field, it wouldn't have missed with its four attacks a round, and wouldn't have been hit with its -10 AC. And since Solars can fly, your fighter shouldn't have been able to get in melee range anyway.

Lhynn

Arcane
A solar has spells as a 15th-level priest with major access to all spheres. In addition to the powers common to aasimon, solars have the following spell-like powers: animate object (3 times per day), antipathy/sympathy (3 times per day), astral spell (once per day), commune, confusion (3 times per day), control weather, creeping doom (once per day), dispel evil, dispel magic, Drawmij’s instant summons, earthquake (3 times per day), finger of death (once per day), fire storm (once per day), heal, holy word (3 times per day), imprisonment (once per day), improved invisibility, infravision (240 feet, always active), mass charm (3 times per day), permanency (3 times per day), polymorph any object or self (once per day), power word (any variety, once per day), prismatic spray (once per day), restoration (once per day), resurrection (3 times per day), shape change (3 times per day), symbol (any variety, 3 times per day), vanish (3 times per day), vision (once per day), wind walk (7 times per day), and wish (once per day).
If your DM really wanted to kill you, he wouldn't have been fucking around with bow and sword. And even if you fought it in an antimagic field, it wouldn't have missed with its four attacks a round, and wouldn't have been hit with its -10 AC. And since Solars can fly, your fighter shouldn't have been able to get in melee range anyway.
http://www.pandius.com/w_mast2.html

I could fly too (i could even shadowport), even had high MR and even higher hitpoints, so i didnt give any fucks about the solar pussy spells.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Actually, what the hell.

This is pretty rough. The odds according to anydice.com of rolling an 18 is 1.62%. That checks. He rolled 4 18's and 2 15s. I won't try to calculate the odds of getting exactly a 15, but on a 15 or better.

The odds of rolling a 15 or greater is about 23.15%.

Just as we know the odds of a 18 on 3d6 is 1/128 (6x6x6) we could figure out the odds of 4x18 + 2x15 in any order would probably be to the tune of 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 23.15/100 * 23.15/100
Hell, the odds are getting 4 18's with four rolls is about 0.000007%, let alone the odds of the two 15's or greater. We'd have to change the odds to reflect he had 6 rolls, not four. Odds of him being full of shit? about 100%

Also, interested in the Minotuar vs. 1st level Thief. Rules are pretty clear on this. Max thief HPs at 1st level = 8, attacks 1, damage 1-6 (+2 for strength) (5.5 damage per attack.) Thief thaco - 20 (to hit Minotaur: 12). Max Thief AC at 1st level: 3. Minotaur: AC 6, THACO 13 (to hit Thief, 10), 2x attacks per round. Damage per attack - 2-8, HPs 6d8's +3 (or 4.5 hps per die = 30 hps.)

Ok, so the thief would need to hit with a 12 or better every round and hit about 6 times, so a 45% chance six times, or 0.8304%. The Minotaur would need to roll a 10 or better and hit twice (55% chance of hitting.) So, the Minotaur would need to miss 12 times in a row, which is about 0.0069% chance.

Jesus, what a crock of shit. First, what DM would have someone solo a Minotaur or even encounter one at 1st level? I've seen this happen myself, when someone's Dad or brother is the DM and the person playing is 6 years old. The odds of either of the above aren't even 1%. I suppose you had max hps on your d6, too?

But who cares?

Khor1255

Arcane
When I used to DM a player could encounter any creature in the game if he happened to be at the wrong place at the right time. The part about a 1st level thief beating even a shit Minotaur I definitely agree with but I never got DMs who tried to match encounters with the level of their players. I mean, it's up to you as the player to stay away from places the wise npcs tell you to stay away from until you get to a sufficient level or have sufficient henchmen to help you.
Major part of the fun in a game in my opinion.

Lhynn

Arcane
Actually, what the hell.

This is pretty rough. The odds according to anydice.com of rolling an 18 is 1.62%. That checks. He rolled 4 18's and 2 15s. I won't try to calculate the odds of getting exactly a 15, but on a 15 or better.

The odds of rolling a 15 or greater is about 23.15%.

Just as we know the odds of a 18 on 3d6 is 1/128 (6x6x6) we could figure out the odds of 4x18 + 2x15 in any order would probably be to the tune of 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 1.62/100 * 23.15/100 * 23.15/100
Hell, the odds are getting 4 18's with four rolls is about 0.000007%, let alone the odds of the two 15's or greater. We'd have to change the odds to reflect he had 6 rolls, not four. Odds of him being full of shit? about 100%

Also, interested in the Minotuar vs. 1st level Thief. Rules are pretty clear on this. Max thief HPs at 1st level = 8, attacks 1, damage 1-6 (+2 for strength) (5.5 damage per attack.) Thief thaco - 20 (to hit Minotaur: 12). Max Thief AC at 1st level: 3. Minotaur: AC 6, THACO 13 (to hit Thief, 10), 2x attacks per round. Damage per attack - 2-8, HPs 6d8's +3 (or 4.5 hps per die = 30 hps.)

Ok, so the thief would need to hit with a 14 or better every round and hit about 6 times, so a 35% chance six times, or 0.1838%. The Minotaur would need to roll a 10 or better and hit twice (55% chance of hitting.) So, the Minotaur would need to miss 12 times in a row, which is about 0.0069% chance.
Uh sure
Jesus, what a crock of shit. First, what DM would have someone solo a Minotaur or even encounter one at 1st level? I've seen this happen myself, when someone's Dad or brother is the DM and the person playing is 6 years old. The odds of either of the above aren't even 1% or even .2% for either.
I split from the party because i wanted threasure, sue me.
I can also tell you of the time a lvl 3 5e barbarian raging (Con 20 Dex 10) with a maul lost to a 8 hp npc dude with a dagger, without ever landing a hit, after 10 rounds. Shit happens dude, you can try to calculate the probability, but fact is it means nothing, each roll has to be treated on its own terms for it to make any sense at all.

mastroego

Arcane
Well, in any case, I shall remind you all, if relevant, that Real Life dices are not perfectly balanced and this throws a wrench into the calculations.

Does this warrant a nerd tag?

Lhynn

Arcane
http://www.pandius.com/w_mast2.html

I could fly too (i could even shadowport), even had high MR and even higher hitpoints, so i didnt give any fucks about the solar pussy spells.
How did you get that MR?
Good question, i remember having a cape of flight, an intelligent longsword +4 that allowed me to jump between shadows, a band of healing with 3 charges of heal, a kevlar full body armor , an M16. I think it was a ring, and it was 50% MR. When i get home ill look for my character sheet (or sheets, as i played him in like 3-4 campaigns, and countless oneshot stories).

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Good question, i remember having a cape of flight, an intelligent longsword +4 that allowed me to jump between shadows, a band of healing with 3 charges of heal, a kevlar full body armor , an M16. I think it was a ring, and it was 50% MR. When i get home ill look for my character sheet (or sheets, as i played him in like 3-4 campaigns, and countless oneshot stories).
:prosper:Sorry I even posted...

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I know it's common for DMs to take pity on fighters and give them artifacts so they feel like they're in the same league as the rest of the party, but this is the most ridiculous case of that I've ever seen.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

I know it's common for DMs to take pity on fighters and give them artifacts so they feel like they're in the same league as the rest of the party, but this is the most ridiculous case of that I've ever seen.
maybe the dm saw his character sheet and was like, "oh, you want munchkin, I'll give you munchkin...".

Just kept giving him victory after victory while feigning surprise and troll facing the whole time. :troll:

"oh, look, you just found the one ring of power and now you're Sauron! What are the odds?!"

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
...a kevlar full body armor , an M16...

Were you playing D&D or were you playing Make Whatever The Fuck You Want Up?

Wired13.jpg

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd also like to know what a Band of Healing, and a Cape of Flying are. They don't exist in AD&D 2nd Ed. either. Neither does the "jump between shadows" ability.

"you rolled an 8, bro! that means you've not only defeated the lich, but now you're the captain of the starship enterprise - at level 3 no less!"

Lhynn

Arcane
...a kevlar full body armor , an M16...

Were you playing D&D or were you playing Make Whatever The Fuck You Want Up?
An M16 is what kind of jumped off the page at me.

Really? in a world were this exists?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeonland
Not that it even mattered, i seldom used it because it was useless against most creatures i fought and because my swords were far deadlier either way.

ToEE is a low/mid level adventure with far more powerful gear available.
Other than that, fighters on second edition were p. much warmachines at mid levels, do not confuse them with 3.5 crap nonchoice.

I'd also like to know what a Band of Healing, and a Cape of Flying are. They don't exist in D&D either. Neither does the "jump between shadows" ability.
Unno, stuff made by the DM id wager. I make magical items all the time on my own campaign. Why is that even an issue in a game that actually encourages this behaviour?

Khor1255

Arcane
Haven't played store bought table top rpgs since the early 80s. I'm liking the 'progress' that has been made even less now that I hear some of this stuff.

It all started out as a joke, but at the end when he was crowned most awesome dude in the universe and was so enthused about his new star destroyer and the fact that he had married "female darth vader with big boobs" - and still didn't get the joke - the dm just realized it was really funny not good to mock the handicapped.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
I'd also like to know what a Band of Healing, and a Cape of Flying are. They don't exist in D&D either. Neither does the "jump between shadows" ability.
Unno, stuff made by the DM id wager. I make magical items all the time on my own campaign. Why is that even an issue in a game that actually encourages this behaviour?
There is a nuance to D&D that you may find hard to understand. If the players are given items like "bands of healing" that mimic something only an 11th level Cleric could cast, with 0% chance of failure, it just sounds stupid. But that's nothing compared to 50% magic resistance. That's equally moronic. The fact that you can't see this, kind of makes me believe you have never played in a normal party.

Tell me, did you have to roll magic resistance when using your "Band of Healing" or did all your magic and potions magically work, and the magic resistance only affected negative affects?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom