Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Some positive feedback for RPGcodex as aweigh tries to reason with RPGwatch (and fails)

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
In a thread on RPGwatch's site feedback entitled... "Only 400 active users?" aweigh attempts to politely suggest why RPGwatch doesn't get as many visitors as the codex:

Yesterday, 21:01
problem with posting in a "friendly" place like this is that you feel like you're "at work"; you have to be careful not to offend anyone or to say something that goes against the status quo.

it's completely the opposite on the codex where you are encouraged to speak your true mind regardless of what it is or how "wrong" it may be. of course if you are a nutcase for real and you speak nutty things then first people shun you and you may eventually get banned, although codex bans are almost unheard of.

the main thing i want to communicate is that forums are an escape for a lot of people and less degree of thought police makes it so that more people end up using said forum as an outlet, which is why codex has more active community. when you feel like you can say whatever you want… then you end up participating.

i don't feel like i can say whatever i want here.
user_offline.png

aweigh
Traveler

He immediately gets 4 replies:

aweigh, What is it that you really would want to say on an RPG forum that would be offensive? It's a forum for video games, so there's no need to get offensive or nasty. And unless you're posting hatred or being very disrespectful and nasty you can say whatever you like here as well.

The Codex's nastiness and disrespect in many cases is their sick form of humor, IMO. So it is two different forum cultures (obviously).

"encouraged to speak your true mind" is basically this:

Noisy chickens

We're not coop here. We think before speak.
Immaturity is really source of the the need to post nasty. That' why I prefer the more mature discussions here, until a troll gets under my skin, then all bets are off. But let's be honest, adult gamers include a lot of stunted man-children….

I've never felt like I couldn't say what I wanted to say here. I don't treat the internet as some kind of escape though. I realize that they're people reading what I post so I post as I would speak to anyone in real life.

I never went to the codex forum so this thread inspired me too. It's a bit strange actually because one one hand you have these great in depth post about stats, game mechanics etc and then on the other hand you have people expressing themselves like their 12. I remember when I was 12 and with my friends We'd swear every other word and be crude because we thought it was "kewl".

Now though I'm an adult and have the word power to express myself without using words like, fuck, fucktard, homo, fag, retard, etc. I'll admit I'm not perfect and will slip every now and then but this kind of thing seems to be the norm at the codex. I mean if your rude and vulgar does that mean your point is more valid than the guy that isn't? I don't know, different culture I guess. Too bad though as it seems there's a lot of people that know their stuff at the codex.

aweigh, obviously a bit shellshocked at having any replies at all, let alone 4 so quickly replied:
it's funny how everyone assumes that "speaking your true mind" = childish/insults/immature/rudeness/etc.

evidence of the effects of thought policing.

Which resulted in another almost instant 4 replies with such golden nuggets as:

In cognitive terms, it's known as executive-function; as we reach adulthood, the brain develops the ability to supervise and moderate its own impulses. This declines again in infirmity or through damage of some kind.

This requires effort though, and it feels good to abandon it for a while. We see a great many people taking advantage of that on the internet, where we've learned we can be safe from the normal consequences. I do it - I'm readier to make fun of a wanker than I could get away with in my working day. On the whole though, it's better to hang on to as much of it as possible, or things rapidly degenerate.

Its funny how the most childish people think that speaking one's mind = insults and rudeness.

If that's the only thing you gleaned from my post then I think you're just stuck on an agenda. ( thought police)

You said you couldn't speak your true mind here. If it has nothing to do with the childish/insults/immature/rudeness/etc. then why couldn't you speak your mind here?

They have no idea how they don't get it do they :D

Oh well, happy 400 users watchers, you nearly made it to 401 :smug:

pippin

the guy talking about cognitive shit is talking out of his butthole

t. guy who knows a thing or two about cognitive crap

at best, the watch has the cognitive capacities of a middle school classroom

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
I've tried reading that cognitive one three or four times, but, each and every time, I get 4 or 5 words in and I'm already puking so vociferously that my brain refuses to read any further. I assume its distilled bollocks of the purest form...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
libtards hate free speech, what else is new

I know you've built up a wonderful world of words and associations in your head that you've convinced yourself are correct, but anyone who doesn't believe in free speech isn't a liberal, if you want to be correct about it, you know, if you want the small nitpick in you're entire approach.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
People who are followers of the status quo need social norms enforced on everybody else, hence liberty leaning groups such as the general video gaming community is facing massive backlash from entryist and liberal "progresives" who don't tollerate any viewpoint other than their own, in other words wahhhh wahhh those nazis said some mean things!

Honestly free speech is not maintainable as long as other people hold different ideas, even the most liberty minded person would try to silence thoughts that go against their beliefs usually by social pressure or shaming, free speech entails critical speech and hence you are making a mockery of yourself silencing someones right to criticize you, If you don't like what your reading you don't have to read it.

tl;dr call a person a cuck and tell em to STFU.

Max Stats

Liturgist
I'd much rather visit a place where someone can call me a douche and I can turn around and call him a homo, than a site where you have to walk on eggshells, lest you trigger some baby that can't handle that not everyone is some PC milksop by posting an opinion that they can't handle.

pippin

codex is a very fun place. it really is the only internet place i've felt at ease. you faggots really make my day from time to time.

Repressed Homosexual
I did what aweigh did for 18 months. Any such efforts are doomed before they even start. The cuckery runs much too deep. Further proof of that is how Myrthos caved in to all of Aubrielle's insanity and feminist tantrums, such as when he had a "Trump fans are literal nazis" tag. Myrthos also banned any criticism of Islam.

Just as leftists eventually always end up canibalizing each other, you can just expect continuously more tantrums as they all apologize for being white males and degrade themselves more every day.

Last edited:

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
That place is such a cesspool it had me sincerely defending HHR! after a couple of hours there.

Mustawd

I said my piece.

https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1061435730&postcount=75

Originally Posted by Fluent
aweigh, What is it that you really would want to say on an RPG forum that would be offensive?

Let's do a thought experiment.

Let's pretend there is a user whose sole intention is to a.) not work a real job and b.) decide that because they do not want to work for a real job they will create a youtube channel in order to monetize any clicks it may get.

Also, let's pretend this person hardly has anything of value to add in any discussion because they do not like to actually discuss anything. They merely exist to push their video youtube channel. They do not really have any opinion on anything. Their main goal is to simply shill their youtube channel.

One could say I am being mean or negative or whatever for pointing this out. One can even theorize that if I ask for this said person to be banned and express my extreme dislike for this person, as a human being, then it's also being negative.

In reality, I'm being extremely positive as I'm encouraging the removal of said cancer from a forum. As a forum is not a walking advertisement for anyone, it will help discourage other advertising plants that spam this forum (or god forbid other rpg-centered forums) with their ridiculous nonsense.

Just because something is offensive to one or more persons (in this case the useless moronic poster I quoted above), does not make it any less valid. For one, I have not used offensive or crude words such as retard, asshat, worthless piece of shit, fucktard, cuck (I actually hate that one) or any other variation of words mentioned herein.

My point is that you can make absolutely valid points, arguments, or complaints and it will still offend them. Even if you don't use offensive language.

However, when you start to go down the path of "let's not have negativity purely for positivity's sake" you create the eggshell effect. Where no one wants to say anything of substance.

The RPGcodex might not be a place you particularly enjoy. That's fine. But the ability to express what you think in whichever way you'd like (besides spam or actual threats) gives people the freedom and ability to actually have interesting and thoughtful discussions.

For everything else that's idiotic (like the Trump thread IMO), there is the ignore button. For everyone else that is idiotic there is the ignore button (e.g. I ignore fluent because he's a shill for his video channel). If you do not like ratings, you can disable alerts. If you do not like a whole particular forum you can ignore it. You can make the codex as nice as you'd like to, and some people indeed do this.

I'm not saying this place should be the codex. I sometimes come hear to read the forums myself when I get tired of the codex. It's like going from a jungle to a petting zoo. Extremely relaxing if a bit dull after a bit. What I'm saying is you should not be surprised that your active user count is low. Embrace it. It's not like trying to amp up the positivity factor is gonna attract a ton more people. If it did it would have years ago.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I said my piece.

Much fun. :hug: Although I'm beginning to like fluent since he developed a thicker skin.

That's another feather in the Codex's cap: It builds character.

Walking on eggshells does nothing but make you a spineless weakling in the long run. When I first joined up here I was schooled quite harshly on how to engage in discussions and debate, how to learn to respect that other people have other opinions and that there's nothing wrong with you having your own thoughts... but also to be ready to defend me and my opinions when needed.

It was a learning experience that far too many people have missed out on, and one that is unavailable in echo chambers full of Yes Men.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom