Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Soldiers: Heroes of WW2 - It's like Syndicate

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I just received word that the demo for Soldiers was just released in my usual Codemasters newsletter so I decided to give it a go. I was expecting a game like Ground Control, C&C Generals or any other RTS these days but lo and behold - it's nothing like any of those games.

On the contrary, it's like a cross between Syndicate/Wars and Silent Storm/JA2. BAM. It's only a 1-mission demo but I've been playing it for the past 2 hours. The graphics are superb, with flexible graphics settings (including a framerate limiter) so old computers should have no problem running this one. Most of the environment in the game is destroyable or interactive, much like Silent Storm.

Your soldiers (you control only 3 of them in the demo mission) can crouch behind fences, sandbags, destroyed buildings and in trenches. You can even man tanks, trucks, german attack motorbikes, AA guns and a variety of other vehicles. Vehicles need fuel to operate and ammunition is limited. You can even loot enemy bodies for weapons and ammunition. Just as well, your soldiers can equip items they find lying around or swap their guns, just like in Syndicate.

Here's the fun part: you can have your guys automatically fire at people (with little accuracy), or you can control them yourself by pressing the CTRL button. This mode works exactly the way the combat in Syndicate and Syndicate Wars did with one exception - you have a realistic amount of ammunition and reloading takes a couple of seconds (though this is done automatically). Left clicking fires at the spot while right clicking allows you to switch to your grenades if you have any to throw them. Ragdoll physics exists here, as does realistic environment. Toss a grenade into a sandbag and they all go flying. Bodies even get torn to bloody little pieces with limbs flying around.

Your soldiers can run, crouch or crawl.

The AI has got to be one of the smartest I've seen yet. Enemies can flank you and they know what weapons to use against you depending on the situation. If you're hiding behind some barricades or sandbags, the Nazis can smoke you out (or kill you) by throwing grenades over them instead of mindlessly walking around to die. Soldiers even know how to jump over sandbags (as can you). They know how to take cover and behave very realistically. If you're in a tank, they're clever enough to send their tank hunters to blow you up while a few of them might wait behind cover for you to run out.

The coolest part I've seen in the game was when a truck full of nazis were unloading and were blown up by my tank. A few of them jumped to safety (though receiving some damage) while others ran for the nearest available cover to shoot at the allied troops.

What's truly fun about this game is that buildings are realistic and utterly destroyable, much like the houses in Silent Storm. Being that it's in real time, it looks a helluva lot better, too. imagine the nazis surprise when I went to hide out in the ruins of the building I had blown up.

Oh hell, just check it out: http://www.codemasters.com/soldiers/

Sol Invictus

Erudite
I think it would be fair to say that Soldiers could be one of the best games of the year, if not more, if the campaign in the final version is anywhere as good as the gameplay, an I am not out of my mind when I say that.

It puts most, if not all Real Time Strategy games to utter and complete shame, being even better than the Syndicate games, better than cannon fodder and better than a whole shitload of action games (of which it offers quite a lot!)

This game is intense.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
I've been playing the demo for the last couple days..this game is amazing once you get a handle on movement, inventory and controls, don't let the attached "RTS" term throw you, it ain't no "Warcraft".

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Tried it for a short while. The interface could be more usefriendly and the loading times were terrible, but other than that I liked it.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Loading times were pretty fast for me - less than 8 seconds. Are you sure it's not your system? I haven't seen any posts about problems with loading times for this game on the Codemasters forum.

The only game that gives me problems with loading time is Deus Ex invisible war - which takes about 30 seconds.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
My system is well within the recommended specs (P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, GeForce FX 5900), but I still get shitty loading times. Pretty hard game too, and I'm a Close Combat veteran. I miss some sort of ambush function for my infantry guys, they reveal their position way too early.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Oh, that's not what I was referring to. You probably need to defragment your hard drive. I was having some problems with some games loading times recently and that fixed it right up. Old games don't seem to have any issues because, well, I guess they're usually pretty small or uncompressed.

I like the variety of ways you can deal with the nazis. Mines on the road, RPGs, repairing the tanks, etc.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
How do you place mines, or use RPG's for that matter. As far as I could tell you could only command the three guys you started out with and one tank against the Krauts' three was bad odds. Then again, it might be due to me not really grasping the controls yet.

Sheriff05

Liturgist
Azael said:
My system is well within the recommended specs (P4 2.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, GeForce FX 5900), but I still get shitty loading times. Pretty hard game too, and I'm a Close Combat veteran. I miss some sort of ambush function for my infantry guys, they reveal their position way too early.

I am running a P4 2.0 and I have less that 10 sec load times ( I do have 1 gig of RAM thou) something else is up if your getting shitty load times..yes the game is hard as hell on normal..but thats a good thing

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
Hmm, I'll try freeing up some space on my HD and defrag it, that might be the problem. I'm talking minute long loading times now, which is something I could (almost) endure back in the early days of computer gaming, but not anymore. Patience is a virtue, my ass.

JJ86

Liturgist
Eh, its got quite a few problems game wise. Hopefully it is only because its an early build demo which will be heavily improved on release. It is hard to get a handle on the many complexities of the controls in the heat of demo battle. Forget about trying to figure out how to gas up or repair the tank. It's definitely not easy to switch between weapons in combat. I would like to easily switch between the bazooka and SMG in combat. Also when exiting a vehicle it is hard to pick only on the small soldier. Why you should be able to pick on empty vehicles is beyond me.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
You know the crate near the house at the start of the map? Click on it, there's items in it including RPGs and some mines. I think you use the mines like you would a grenade (right click)

JJ86

Liturgist
Yeah, I tried to use the mines but am not sure if they worked. Do they need to be activated or do you just drop them? Anyway, by the time I retrieved them and layed them up at the crossroads, the germans were everywhere and the guy laying mines was killed.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
They need to be activated. Just dropping them doesn't do anything, heh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom