Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So why did the war begin?

Old One

Arcane
Since I just completed the game I will say I got the impression from the writings in Hellgate and the Ziggurat that the Magi survived the war and might have been able to rebuild the Empire to a certain extent if Agathoth's Magi followers hadn't refused the order to banish his essence back to the void. The war seems to have been a continuation of some pre-existing conflict between the aliens, with Baalzor's faction on one side and Agathoth's on another. Baalzor used the Qantari as his tools, and Agathoth used the Empire. Agathoth won the war and was the sole alien remaining on the human side of the gate, but the leadership of the Magi no longer trusted him and wanted to banish him anyway. The refusal of Agathoth's minions to comply with this order started a civil war that destroyed the last of the Magi and the last remnants of the Empire. Agathoth only survived because his disciples sacrificed everything to make sure his vessel wasn't destroyed.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Agathoth won the war

I got the same impression. Based on the writings in the mountain facility, Hassatur & Co destroyed 2 alien vessels, while the flying fortress wounded one, from the text it seems fatally. Those two fragments may refer to the same events, but in either case you have 2-3 vessel casualties on Balzaar's side, with Hassatur apparently surviving, Agathoth safe and Galathazor unaccounted for. That would mean the odds went from 3vs4 to 2-3vs1-2.

That means the total destruction of the empire probably came later. What I haven't figured out whether the only players were factions within the Magi, or whether there were other factions in the Empire. Either way, I agree that the refusal to banish Agathoth probably led to the final showdown.

Is there a description of the dwellers that joined Ballzar? Names?
I recall the one nuked by the fortress looked like a snake, but that's it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom