Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, which one is your favourite Witcher game?

Which Witcher does Witchering the Best?

• Witcher 1 (the NWN mod)

Votes: 149 45.8%
  • Witcher 2 (the cutscene simulator)

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Witcher 3 (the downgraded port)

Votes: 126 38.8%
  • KC (Skyrim)

Votes: 30 9.2%

• Total voters

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
Why the hell would anyone vote for the second game. Everything 2 does, 1 or 3 does better.

Falksi

Arcane
Like what is it about? And don't say a Witcher. -.-

Mistaken identity, regicide, an active war (so not like TW3 where you never really get involved in the thick of it), a plot between sorceresses, a dragon's connection with humanoid races, Geralt's lost memory, and a host of other brilliantly woven plot points which make 2's story tower above most of 3's, and IMO slightly better than 1's (although 1's is mint too).

Falksi

Arcane
That sounds pretty good.

Personally my fave RPG ever mate (and I prefer older school stuff usually)

It is hard work to get into though, and I hated it for the first 10-15 hours because the dialogue was so lore heavy, and the cut-scenes were so many.

Stick with it though and it's story is one of the best out there. Not just because it's a good story in itself, but because there are so many angles to replay it from afterwards, all of which reveal bits of info from each perspective that gives you a new take on things.

To me personally, The Witcher 3's story is a shadow of TW2's. If you slogged through that, then slog through the early parts of TW2 coz there's hundreds of hours worth of enjoyment in there after.

Inziladun

Magister
I loved W1 despite some of the initial hesitation. Played it through several times. Waited awhile to play witcher 3 and wanted to play thru W1 and w2 again in preperation. It was when I couldn't get through the first act of the W1 I realized the game just aged terribly. The god awful voice acting, stiff gameplay and the unforgivable camera just come rearing its ugly head. Not to mention Geralt looks ugly as shit compared to the other two iterations.

Story wise it's still the best but its presentation is the worse. And that's why i'm going with W3 as my favorite out of the 3. Nothing really compares in any game I've ever played to the level of detail afforded to the Witcher 3's sidequests. The game just does a beautiful job of making everything interesting in terms of story... even if the main quest was a little bleh. 2 was a good romp, but it never really drew me in as much as the first one.

Wulfris

Literate
Witcher 1. Granted the second act made me want to rub my testicles on glass (What the hell is it with private detectives? Fallout 4 did the same thing.), but other than that it made me want to go into dungeons and fight monsters. Witcher 2 while goodish, kinda dragged on and at the end made me question what the hell was the point of it? Also the combat didn't feel nearly as difficult. Witcher 3 was amazing... but I couldn't finish it. All desire to play it sort of died around the midway point.

Anyway... Witcher 1 on one of the higher difficulties is by far my favorite.

Ocelot

Learned
Played TW2 because a friend gifted it to me and it bored me to tears. Honestly had more fun with Skyrim. I'll never understand it's appeal. Plus, it's RPG mechanics are too limited. The character you play as is pre-determined, his main weapons are pre-determined and his personality is somewhat pre-determined. Plus the gameplay itself is too shallow.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Played TW2 because a friend gifted it to me and it bored me to tears. Honestly had more fun with Skyrim. I'll never understand it's appeal. Plus, it's RPG mechanics are too limited. The character you play as is pre-determined, his main weapons are pre-determined and his personality is somewhat pre-determined. Plus the gameplay itself is too shallow.
The second Witcher (2011) was CDPR's attempt to emulate Bioware by moving in the direction of cinematic story-telling, while largely eliminating exploration and implementing a new action-based combat system that was a substantial deterioration over the one used in the original Witcher game. You should instead have played the first Witcher (2007) which was a promising attempt from a new developer, though it didn't achieve great success in any area, or played the third Witcher which was CDPR's attempt at emulating Bethesda Softworks by creating a relatively Open World game.

KateMicucci

Arcane
W3 would have been a perfect game if it had the potion crafting from W1 and got rid of the whole leveling system in favor of a flat world instead.

Ocelot

Learned
This will sound dumb: Witcher 2, even tho I did not play it.
You've made the right decision.

The second Witcher (2011) was CDPR's attempt to emulate Bioware by moving in the direction of cinematic story-telling, while largely eliminating exploration and implementing a new action-based combat system that was a substantial deterioration over the one used in the original Witcher game. You should instead have played the first Witcher (2007) which was a promising attempt from a new developer, though it didn't achieve great success in any area, or played the third Witcher which was CDPR's attempt at emulating Bethesda Softworks by creating a relatively Open World game.

It's linear structure is perhaps what disappointed me the most. I falsely believed that all Witcher games were open world. Maybe I should play the first one and experience the story properly before drawing conclusions over the entire franchise. The 2nd game really bored me to tears, though.

Piotrovitz

Savant
Funny to say, but being from potatoland and loving crpgs, I never actually bothered to try any of the Witchers and don't intend to.

Guess I'm prejudiced because of the piss poor writing of the original novels that they are loosely based upon, or at least the general lore/setting.

Dunno know if any of you foreigners read any of Sapkowski's books, but seriously, R.A Salvatore is like Dostoyevsky compared to this piece of shit generic teenage fantasy with those supposedly adult themes thrown in.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Funny to say, but being from potatoland and loving crpgs, I never actually bothered to try any of the Witchers and don't intend to.

Guess I'm prejudiced because of the piss poor writing of the original novels that they are loosely based upon, or at least the general lore/setting.

Dunno know if any of you foreigners read any of Sapkowski's books, but seriously, R.A Salvatore is like Dostoyevsky compared to this piece of shit generic teenage fantasy with those supposedly adult themes thrown in.

Granted, Sapkowski ain't Herbert, but you are grossly exagerating. Rather than looking for adult themes (wtf? who sold you that piece of marketspeak?), I rather enjoy the little subversions of classical fairy tales in the short stories. And the complex puzzle of various peoples' interests colliding in the novels.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Granted, Sapkowski ain't Herbert, but you are grossly exagerating. Rather than looking for adult themes (wtf? who sold you that piece of marketspeak?), I rather enjoy the little subversions of classical fairy tales in the short stories. And the complex puzzle of various peoples' interests colliding in the novels.

I've only read the books in translation, but I've read the whole series and yeah, this guy is being a moron. Sapkowski's prose flows really well. I like the content plenty, but just in terms of style he's a cut above your average fantasy author, and way better than a total hack like R.A. fucking Salvatore.

It's about the furthest thing from generic teenage fantasy, too. I don't remember pogroms as a fact of life--something even the "good guys" do--in many adolescent oriented fantasy. AFAIC, he gets the mix of grimdark, romanticism, and wry humor just right (especially in the novels, which are much stronger than The Last Wish).

All the sexy sorceresses may read as a kind of wish fulfillment, but he's hardly the first writer of genre fiction to fill his work with hot babes and their sexiness actually makes sense within the story. Of course the first thing you'd do with magic is make yourself better looking.

Piotrovitz

Savant
To each his own I guess.

I'm just sayin' I find those games off-putting because of inferior quality of the novels they are loosely based upon. I'm not claiming it's rational, as they may have nothing in common, but still, I cannot help it. First thing that comes to one's mind when someone mentions Witcher novels here, are high school/college metalheads or casual console gamers, that liked the game, and now are reading books out of curiosity on bus/tram rides. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that's just the way it is.

Then again, most of the fantasy literature is garbage, aimed at younger audience without any refined taste.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To each his own I guess.

I'm just sayin' I find those games off-putting because of inferior quality of the novels they are loosely based upon. I'm not claiming it's rational, as they may have nothing in common, but still, I cannot help it. First thing that comes to one's mind when someone mentions Witcher novels here, are high school/college metalheads or casual console gamers, that liked the game, and now are reading books out of curiosity on bus/tram rides. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that's just the way it is.

Then again, most of the fantasy literature is garbage, aimed at younger audience without any refined taste.
Lookit this hipster.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom