Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, which one is your favourite Witcher game?

Which Witcher does Witchering the Best?

• Witcher 1 (the NWN mod)

Votes: 149 45.8%
  • Witcher 2 (the cutscene simulator)

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Witcher 3 (the downgraded port)

Votes: 126 38.8%
  • KC (Skyrim)

Votes: 30 9.2%

• Total voters

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To each his own I guess.

I'm just sayin' I find those games off-putting because of inferior quality of the novels they are loosely based upon. I'm not claiming it's rational, as they may have nothing in common, but still, I cannot help it. First thing that comes to one's mind when someone mentions Witcher novels here, are high school/college metalheads or casual console gamers, that liked the game, and now are reading books out of curiosity on bus/tram rides. Sorry to burst anyone's bubble, but that's just the way it is.

Then again, most of the fantasy literature is garbage, aimed at younger audience without any refined taste.

So you don't like the books because the only people who read them publicly are fans of the games, and you don't like the games because they're based on the books? Hmm...

The series was incredibly popular in Poland before the games came out; it's why CDPR bought the rights in the first place. The fact that you are not actually talking about the style or content of the books, but the fan base, leads me to believe that you haven't actually read them. I wouldn't want to be seen publicly with most people who read LoTR on the subway, but that doesn't mean Tolkien's works are of "inferior quality."

Also, Sapkowski had next to nothing to do with the games, which are set years after the books and are basically fan fiction (albeit well written fan fiction); they are not an accurate representation of the story. Saying "only [insert undesirable subgroup here] likes [instert franchise here]" is not an argument about the quality of the actual work in question. If I hated everything with horrible fans there would be nothing left to like--I'd certainly never play an RPG again.

Piotrovitz

Savant
So you don't like the books because the only people who read them publicly are fans of the games, and you don't like the games because they're based on the books? Hmm...
I don't like the books, because I've tried them back in the 90s and didn't find them appealing at all, not because of the fanbase. I don't care about any elitist bullshit - if I would, then I probably wouldn't listen to half of the bands that I like etc.

I don't know if I don't like the games - I admit I'm prejudiced, which is kinda dumb, given they are just loosely based on novels, but I am aware of it.

The series was incredibly popular in Poland before the games came out; it's why CDPR bought the rights in the first place. The fact that you are not actually talking about the style or content of the books, but the fan base, leads me to believe that you haven't actually read them.
Witcher was popular in Poland back in 90s/2000s because there wasn't really anything else on local market. I remember that every guy playing Warhammer back then, liked the series. I'm just guessing it was because of straightforwardness and dry humor, which is appealing to this particular fanbase.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Witcher was popular in Poland back in 90s/2000s because there wasn't really anything else on local market. I remember that every guy playing Warhammer back then, liked the series. I'm just guessing it was because of straightforwardness and dry humor, which is appealing to this particular fanbase.

You haven't really tried looking, have you?

Piotrovitz

Savant
Not really, I got more into cyberpunk/sci-fi, and then into other stuff.

Was there anything worthwhile back in the 90s or early 2000s?

KateMicucci

Arcane
I was irritated reading the books by Geralt's smug know-it-all-ism and grim self-righteousness. Normal people in the books are all stupid, superstitious, backstabbing cowards that Geralt is always rolling his eyes at. I don't like that kind of thing.

Frozen

Arcane
I was irritated reading the books by Geralt's smug know-it-all-ism and grim self-righteousness. Normal people in the books are all stupid, superstitious, backstabbing cowards that Geralt is always rolling his eyes at. I don't like that kind of thing.

But that's just reality. Most people are retards.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I don't like the books, because I've tried them back in the 90s and didn't find them appealing at all, not because of the fanbase. I don't care about any elitist bullshit - if I would, then I probably wouldn't listen to half of the bands that I like etc.

We need a populist Witcher mod where Geralt travels the country burning witches, protecting villages from monsters through the power of prayer, and helping farmers harvest the potato crop, all for the glory of the Polish empire.

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Witcher 1. It felt more authentic.
Witcher 2. Hated it more than Dragon Age 2.
Witcher 3. Fun for what it is, writing stands out. A bit repetitive - I completed the main game just short of the final battle, then went into the expansion pack and took a break with the intention of going back after playing Forces of Corruption. That was several months and a few games ago now. It's a good game though.

wyes gull

Savant
Decided to have a gander at this thread having finally completed 3 and am pleased to see my opinion remains unchanged. 1's the one.
I did like 3 a hell of a lot more than I imagined I would though, even if I find it all the more remarkable an achievement than an actual game. Ending was rubbish but then I remember that also being the case in 1.

Still have no intention of picking up 2 again. Unless there's copious amounts of Triss in it to make up for the retarded combat.

unpopular opinion: while the first brought to the table something new and the third is objectively a work of wonder, i might go for the second. it had the best fights and combat system to me, the most varied one with humongous bosses, distinct difference between light and strong attack, i used all the signs and sometimes i actually tried different approaches to different enemies.
third one? slap a bit, roll back, igni all the way. for thousands of enemies. hundreds of thousands. holy hell, they never end.

Paul_cz

Arcane
Decided to have a gander at this thread having finally completed 3 and am pleased to see my opinion remains unchanged. 1's the one.
I did like 3 a hell of a lot more than I imagined I would though, even if I find it all the more remarkable an achievement than an actual game. Ending was rubbish but then I remember that also being the case in 1.

Still have no intention of picking up 2 again. Unless there's copious amounts of Triss in it to make up for the retarded combat.

There is quite a bit of Triss in the first act including possibly the best sex scene in the series.

Personally I love TW2, mostly for the story though, gameplay is decent.

Cadmus

Arcane
Not sure what I had posted here before but having finished TW3, I think TW1 was probably the most fun to play at its time of release. TW3 kinda bored me towards the end. Actually throughout many of the parts I was getting bored and when the shiny gfx hype died down, the itemization and character system really showed as fucking boring and dull. I still think the combat is quite good but the game isn't built around making it work properly due to the leveling system.

TW1 was charming and felt kinda authentic even with all its faults.

wyes gull

Savant
There is quite a bit of Triss in the first act including possibly the best sex scene in the series.

How's the modding for it? Specifically, is there anything that makes the combat trivial or close as it can be to skippable?

Paul_cz

Arcane

How's the modding for it? Specifically, is there anything that makes the combat trivial or close as it can be to skippable?
No idea about modding but I am sure if you put it on easy it will be trivial enough
Personally I preferred hard though

The pseudo-official FCR2 mod makes you more proficient at combat (less input delay, automatic blocks, basic skills unlocked from the start, less variation in gear power) which knocks the difficulty down a notch or two.

wyes gull

Savant
Acknowledge my Agenda however much you want but damn, Shani is in Hearts of Stone? My my, Witcher 3, you're starting to impress me. Now if you could only add a 3rd redhead that'd truly be 10/10 GOTY-worthy.
And cheers, chaps, adding 2 to the list.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Acknowledge my Agenda however much you want but damn, Shani is in Hearts of Stone? My my, Witcher 3, you're starting to impress me. Now if you could only add a 3rd redhead that'd truly be 10/10 GOTY-worthy.
And cheers, chaps, adding 2 to the list.

Personally, I couldn't put a pure brofist, because you dared to criticise the ending of TW1. Therefore I had to settle on acknowledging your agenda.

Deleted member 7219

Yes, all The Witcher games have been great, it is simply a case of scaling them in order of excellence.

wyes gull

Savant
Personally, I couldn't put a pure brofist, because you dared to criticise the ending of TW1. Therefore I had to settle on acknowledging your agenda.
To be fair, I remember little about the ending of 1 other than not liking it. I think it was that it felt like an arse-pull or not connected to the other parts of the story? Or maybe it got too fantasy-ie for me. I really don't recall.
And hell, I'm happy to be acknowledged in proselytizing for the Order of the Flaming Crotch.

Sjukob

Arcane
To be fair, I remember little about the ending of 1 other than not liking it. I think it was that it felt like an arse-pull or not connected to the other parts of the story? Or maybe it got too fantasy-ie for me. I really don't recall.
Indeed it was. The whole "Wild Hunt, Ciri, White Cold and end of the world" crap should've been ignored and left to rot in the books. The game does a good job of telling a story about medieval folks, but suddenly "We need more epicness and shit! Let's bring end of the world, dragons, alternative dimensions and other garbage!". So anyone who didn't fall asleep during his playthrough noticed that dumb 180 turn around from pretty believable stories about society to "By Melitele's tits we're all gonna die!". I'm talking about the series in general, that kind of crap doesn't belong there, and it's why TW3 story is such a disaster that even good writing doesn't save it, it's wasted on the idiotic idea.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It's a storyfag series straight-up and I feel like the second one executed best on that, but I haven't finished 3 yet and therefore will not vote yet. I think 2's limited scope helped it though. 3 feels aimless a lot of the time.

wyes gull

Savant
The game does a good job of telling a story about medieval folks, but suddenly "We need more epicness and shit! Let's bring end of the world, dragons, alternative dimensions and other garbage!".
Precisely what I remember liking from 1 from a setting perspective; that it's fantasy but it's "almost" not. You're a freak ridding the world (read random village) of vaguely twisted elements from random parts of the european mythological imaginarium, but at the end of the day you're still a menial worker rubbing elbows with the peasants amidst the dirt and dung for coin. The ramp up should be the act in Vizima, meeting heads of state and getting involved in court drama and conspiracies against your wishes or better judgment. Save a person > save a village > save a town is perfectly acceptable. The next step up (save the world) should remain the stuff of legends in the game world, same as our mythological beings remain in myth and not irl.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom